Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 3:15pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at Diesel's thread, it actually looks pretty good, but I'm currently a few years shy of the 20-year age restriction, though I might opt to check it out if I'm still in the country at that time. I *am* getting some warning signs, however, as they claim to be focused on "real self defence" and that they don't train to compete; not a bad thing in and of itself, but it makes me a bit concerned is all. Lastly, it states that when you decide to start training regularly, they basically check your criminal record to make sure "the wrong people don't learn the (presumably r34l d34dly) techniques being taught"; might be awesome, but just rubs me the wrong way somehow.
    Last edited by Hadzu; 7/05/2013 3:21pm at .

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    I suppose my problem is more on a local level than a national one.
    That makes good sense. Really I was considering the problem of Sweden's exposure to martial arts in my response; I admittedly know nothing of your local scene.

On the subject of competitions, I'm sure it's available to those who persistently seek them out [...] I will be the first to admit I am a humongous noob (7-8 months) and haven't paid much attention to MA prior to beginning my training [...] I'm convinced that it's the sort of thing you notice more and more once you're "initiated"
    I'd agree, it's unlikely competitions are the kind of thing you'd notice before you develop a specific interest in them.

I have heard my instructor actively encourage us to compete, so I don't think there's any outspoken dislike of competition.
    This is awesome. I get the feeling your club may deserve a slightly higher score under "aliveness".

[A]llow me to thank you for being mature and objective and facilitating a constructive, friendly discussion; something all too rare on teh interwebs.

/Erik
    You started it by not being an arrogant douche-nozzle. How do you say "no worries mate" in Swedish?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 3:25pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    You started it by not being an arrogant douche-nozzle. How do you say "no worries mate" in Swedish?
    "Ingen fara, polarn" Would be pretty accurate =)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at Diesel's thread, it actually looks pretty good, but I'm currently a few years shy of the 20-year age restriction, though I might opt to check it out if I'm still in the country at that time. I *am* getting some warning signs, however, as they claim to be focused on "real self defence" and that they don't train to compete; not a bad thing in and of itself, but it makes me a bit concerned is all. Lastly, it states that when you decide to start training regularly, they basically check your criminal record to make sure "the wrong people don't learn the (presumably r34l d34dly) techniques being taught"; might be awesome, but just rubs me the wrong way somehow.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I didn't see the 20 year age restriction, but I didn't understand a lot of what I was looking at. Maybe you could catch some of those seminars when they come through. That would be some cool cross training.

The stickfighting guy I train with came from a primary background of Japanese Martial Arts and cross trained into FMA. Then split off from his school, due to their lack of sparring. You never know.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 5:47pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I didn't see the 20 year age restriction, but I didn't understand a lot of what I was looking at. Maybe you could catch some of those seminars when they come through. That would be some cool cross training.

The stickfighting guy I train with came from a primary background of Japanese Martial Arts and cross trained into FMA. Then split off from his school, due to their lack of sparring. You never know.
    Yeah, that sounds very cool. Being that I'm very new on the MA scene, I have this compulsive desire to try everything a bit; the most obvious pick on the subject of cross-training would be Judo, both because my club is actually a Judo/Ju-Jutsu club and that I've heard from a friend who does both (brown belt in Judo, orange in Ju-Jutsu) that the two arts translate very well to one another, in fact my instructor recommends cross-training in general, but particularly in Judo.

Other'n that, that same friend also does BJJ, which has piqued my curiosity after my brief exposure to Ne Waza in JJK. But who knows, I'll probably end up trying both at some point.

/Erik

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 6:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained BJJ in Scandinavia, in Denmark to be precise.

I know for a fact you guys have BJJ competitions.
    Nordic Open was just a few months ago.
    http://www.nordicbjjopen.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 4:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I've trained BJJ in Scandinavia, in Denmark to be precise.

I know for a fact you guys have BJJ competitions.
    Nordic Open was just a few months ago.
    http://www.nordicbjjopen.com/

Yeah, I recall seeing some rather dull footage of it on the Tewbs, I've never doubted its existence.

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 9:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm referring to this:
    Grappling Instruction (7)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 9:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean, could you please clarify for this poor Swedish fool?

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 9:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the scale:

Grappling Instruction:

1-3: No grappling. Anti-grappling.
    4-5: Limited single sub-range (standing, clinch, ground only).
    6-7: Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application (LEO, military).
    8-9: Pressure-tested, full range grappling and proven success in limited restriction, top level competitions or high level self defense situations.
    10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors

Is your school competing at all?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast