• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 5:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lets motivate me to get punched in the head

So, after a year or two long hiatus in martial arts, I have come to the conclusion that people won't kick themselves in the head, so I gotta do it.

Time is very tight, and my location really leaves only one option for serious training: kickboxing. Now, I haven't trained in real striking for years, and I won't count krotty style striking in sport JJ.

I'm out of shape, but I don't really give a **** about that right now, and I won't use the extra time for solo cardio training or something like that. Maybe swimming once or twice a weak. I like swimming. Swimming is nice. Yay swimming.

I trained kickboxing for a few years, but it was so long ago that I lost all of my timing, a big chunk of punching technique and so on.

One thing I remember is that kickboxing hurts like a bitch compared to all this grapplling cuddling crap I did over the years. In fact, I haven't been punched properly in years and I'm not really sure that I want to be.

I have watched a copious amounts of Peter Aerts footage. Now what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 10:38pm

Style: mt/bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for it, you have nothing to lose (except fat) and a whole lot to gain!

Think more on what you can gain after said training, instead of the little details while training. Increased stamina, technique, abs, an healthier and less pudgy look.

I am sure we've all been on the "roll" you train so much that you can't bare miss that one single day and when you day you just feel "off". So then the excuses start pouring in on why it's ok to miss trainining!

Excuses don't burn calories mate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 11:20pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't even motivate myself at the moment so I should just shut the **** up but i'm bored so **** it.

i'm sure you know as well as I do, getting up and starting is the hardest part. The fact you get to hit people is pretty motivating.
    There's nothing like that feeling of achievement when you train the **** outta something and make it work... And on top of that that special little ego boost when you put the hurt on someone.

Even the satisfaction of seeing improvements in technique, when all your punches start to "pop" and you can kick the **** out of the hard bag with passion , while everyone else winces and pulls pain
    faces.
    For me the hard bit lately is .... Well, a whole bunch of things.... But mostly staying interested.
    I think cardio work is the biggest turn off, always was.

If I ever manage to peel myself off this recliner, I might go back and just go easy for a while.
    I have noticed ,with other people that come back to training, they go too hard too soon.. Shoot their wad in a few Weeks and burn out.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sound like a man whose been there before. I wish that I had some sage words of wisdom, of motivation to share to get you off the recliner. The truth is that change for me, for you, and for all of us comes from within us. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. If you want it bad enough, pay the price to get it. Good luck in your training.
    Crede quod habes, et habes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 2:30am

Style: mt/bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    i'm sure you know as well as I do, getting up and starting is the hardest part. The fact you get to hit people is pretty motivating.
    There's nothing like that feeling of achievement when you train
    It's now or never. With each passing week you will look back and go "Wow where would I be if I kept training" or the excuses will start growing.

How bad do you wan't it? are you the kind of person who accepts a mediocre commitment to his goals? or go all out and experience much more.

If you wan't to swim your going to get wet!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop being a *****
    King without a crown

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that I think about it, my perception of hurt that I received during my kickboxing training is a bit skewed. I started as a kid, 14 or 15 years old, and for quite some time I was the youngest there. The most people at the gym were serious competitors, and the gym itself was pretty hardcore. I only later realized that people generally did hard sparring with shin protectors and such. We didn't. Ouch.

The main coach was great, but he wasn't always around so there were assholes running amok. Highly skilled assholes, the worst kind of asshole.

It took some time to get over the fear, but when I did I started kicking the **** out of people left and right. My only regret is that although I always trained with competitors, I never competed myself. My mother wasn't having it. Its one thing I plan to do now if I get my schedule in order. Jump in the first light contact competition that comes up, and go to full contact from there.

However, all that gruesome **** made for an interesting transition to sport JJ :D

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After a few to the head, nothing hurts much anyway. Also, it's a quicker way to get there than alcohol, so what have you got to lose?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 3:28pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    After a few to the head, nothing hurts much anyway. Also, it's a quicker way to get there than alcohol, so what have you got to lose?

Kick to the head is pretty bad. It rocks a bit and you learn pretty quick not to get caught by another one. At least; you try not to get caught by another one.

The one that gets' me every time is a Knee Spike to the shins. If it's not a serious round and I get a knee spike to the shin I'm done. Forget that - I'm off for some ice and a tub of frosty. God damn it hurts.

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Low kicks and body shots hurt like a bitch. Especially low kicks.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast