Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 8:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about a panic button? My household alarm has one that can be activated from 2 separate points plus from the remotes - it calls the security call center straight away and if they don't get a satisfactory reply they send the police.

Other than that what Devil said, especially good doors, locked, dogs and firearms if legal.

Actually given the state of absolute zero preparedness I think she handled the situation as well as could be expected.

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 11:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poker View Post
    What about a panic button?
    I am sure it couldn't hurt but I certainly wouldn't rely on it.
    Once while I was working I accidently set off the hold up button at a bank. The response time wasn't exactly great. That was to a fucking Chase bank.

Another quick story. The previous owner of the house I first bought left the alarm system on. Well to automatically go on at a certain time. My ass goes down stairs to get a cup of water and the fucking thing goes off. So there I am in my new house alarm blaring no fucking clue what the code is or anything. Hell until then I didn't even really notice the fucking thing had an alarm. Anyways I go find the alarm box pull the batteries disconnect the power and telco lines. 2 and half hours later I get a knocking on my door. Yeah the cops finally showed the **** up.

What about a panic button?
    I am sure it couldn't hurt but I certainly wouldn't rely on it.
    Once while I was working I accidently set off the hold up button at a bank. The response time wasn't exactly great. That was to a fucking Chase bank.

Another quick story. The previous owner of the house I first bought left the alarm system on. Well to automatically go on at a certain time. My ass goes down stairs to get a cup of water and the fucking thing goes off. So there I am in my new house alarm blaring no fucking clue what the code is or anything. Hell until then I didn't even really notice the fucking thing had an alarm. Anyways I go find the alarm box pull the batteries disconnect the power and telco lines. 2 and half hours later I get a knocking on my door. Yeah the cops finally showed the **** up.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2014 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    Obviously a more secure door could have helped. . . .
    Have a phone handy, firearms, dogs are all useful. A security system with obvious "Smile, you're under video surveillance!" stickers at entry points can also be a nice deterrent.
    Since I last posted on this thread, I've come to this conclusion:

1st line of defense: secure doors and windows, maybe an alarm system,
    2d line: a dog,
    3d line of defense: a firearm.

I think a dog is very useful, because it can not only alert you, but keep an intruder engaged while you reach for the firearm. Also, not every home invasion occurs thru windows or doors at night while people are asleep. Bad guys have been known to push their way in behind people as they open their doors, or when people open their doors not knowing who's behind them.

I used to have a Briard, which my ex-wife took with her. I'm considering getting another one.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 1/15/2014 12:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2014 11:12pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bad part about home invasion style burglaries is the dilemma that they present to the people inside. It is the same dilemma that tactical units use to their advantage when they enter houses of other people. Now granted, the assholes doing the burglaries are probably not trained in dynamic entries; however the same dilemma is created for the victim. This dilemma is the stunned (did I just see that) reaction, followed by a thought process of what to do next (The average action/reaction time is 1.6 seconds for a normal functioning sober person). It is during this time that tactical teams move and subdue the person(s) involved. That being said, if an asshole kicks in the door it will automatically cause an 'oh ****' response from the unlucky person at home and depending on the asshole's intentions, it could end up deadly. In my opinion, there is no one or two things that will solve you're dilemma that is created by the shock of the situation, unless you see it about to happen. Prepare for the absolute worst, but realize that bad things happen to good people sometimes and improvisation and extreme violence may be the only recourse.

My personal advice is fairly common sense stuff.
    1) Put 3 inch screws in the strike plate (female end of the knob assembly that goes in the door jam). This will buy some time for someone trying to foot a door open.

2) Get a secondary lock on exterior doors. Do not use the chain locks. An extra dead bolt is probably the best idea. They buy time.

3) Light the house up like a Christmas Tree. My front yard has motions focused on the edges of my yard so that I don't get traffic and I also have a floodlight in the driveway. Backyard has the gate to porch covered.

4) Lock the goddamn gates. Most assholes who do home burglaries during the daytime are wanting to steal TV's, Jewelry, Tablets and Guns. These burglaries commonly turn shitty when the assholes run into the home owner. Padlocked gates WILL NOT stop every asshole, but typically the assholes want places with the least resistance possible.

5) Get an alarm and register the mother fucker with your city. Know this!! It will take the police at least 3 minutes to receive the call from the alarm company. It will then take them anywhere from 3-10 minutes to respond. Go ahead and get mad and shitty with them, because it is all their fault. Think about this, though, if an asshole has critically injured you and the alarm has been tripped, you will have a cop coming and this might be your saving grace.

6) Buy whatever is comfortable for you to shoot and a gun that you know how to operate and protect. If you pull the gun, you'd better be ready to use it. If you use it, you better be ready for cops and court, don't be surprised. The cops fucking know that you have the right to defend your property. However they have to investigate a dead or shot body. This will involve a search warrant for your house and a seizure of your firearm. You will be sent to the grand jury (just like cops when they shoot people). Relax, most of the time the cops and prosecutors are on your side as long as you aren't acting foolish with the situation. Believe it or not cops and prosecutors fucking hate burglars worse than they hate doughnut jokes and the whole 'your car is on while parked, why don't you get a ticket.'

7) Finally learn to defend yourself and learn to fight realistically. Take up boxing, judo or something else useful. Jiu-Jitsu saves rapes! Do not be so diluted that you believe that the martial art you have makes you invincible. It is NEVER a bad idea to learn to fight as a last resort, but you have to be humble enough to realize that there is always someone badder and meaner. Unless you are this asshole:

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 9:14am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about a panic button? My household alarm has one that can be activated from 2 separate points plus from the remotes - it calls the security call center straight away and if they don't get a satisfactory reply they send the police.
    I would be extremely wary of panic buttons. The biggest fallacy is that they connect to the 911 emergency system, which they don't. My best friend used to dispatch ambulances, and here is what would happen on her end:

<call comes in from panic button company>
    "I have an emergency call from a subscriber."
    "What's their address?"
    "Rural Route #1 ..."
    "Do you have a street address? Because rural routes are only useful if you want me to mail them an ambulance."

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I would be extremely wary of panic buttons. The biggest fallacy is that they connect to the 911 emergency system...
    Good thing: pressing my wife's button just makes her scream...for more.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJohn View Post
    "Comments Have Been Disabled for this Video."

Imagine that.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 2:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I would be extremely wary of panic buttons. The biggest fallacy is that they connect to the 911 emergency system, which they don't. My best friend used to dispatch ambulances, and here is what would happen on her end:

<call comes in from panic button company>
    "I have an emergency call from a subscriber."
    "What's their address?"
    "Rural Route #1 ..."
    "Do you have a street address? Because rural routes are only useful if you want me to mail them an ambulance."
    It obviously depends on what type of alarm and what alarm company you use. Part of sensible self defense is making good choices in this area too. Mine connects to the alarm company's call center via gsm and a speaker and microfone and I know that if it gets pressed and the alarm company doesnt get a satisfactory response (or they hear the "panic word") then the police are going to check the house. Worst case scenario is that they might rescue whoever was in the house at the time, get them to hospital, and make sure the next person to arrive home doesnt get surprised by the robbers.
    Last edited by poker; 1/18/2014 2:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It obviously depends on what type of alarm and what alarm company you use. Part of sensible self defense is making good choices in this area too. Mine connects to the alarm company's call center via gsm and a speaker and microfone and I know that if it gets pressed and the alarm company doesnt get a satisfactory response (or they hear the "panic word") then the police are going to check the house. Worst case scenario is that they might rescue whoever was in the house at the time, get them to hospital, and make sure the next person to arrive home doesnt get surprised by the robbers.
    Oh yeah and I am also thinking I should get off my ass and get myself a shotgun licence.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456