Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 4:18pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What could she had done differently? The statement of the story was 'he kicked his way in'. Would a fire arm have helped? If the offender grabbed an opportunity and kicked the door or shoved it and pounced on her immediately a fire arm may have been of no use at all. It requires the ability to aim and fire and in a struggle it has as much likely hood of hurting the defendant as well as the offender. But to be assured of this we'd need more information as to what happened and how.

I don't feel however that people should be terrified in their own homes; and turning it into a fortress isn't going to help either. Statistically your odds of this happening are actually mostly in your favour.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

*An estimated 3.7 million burglaries occurred each year on
    average from 2003 to 2007.

*A household member was present in roughly 1 million burglaries
    and became victims of violent crimes in 266,560 burglaries.

*Simple assault (15%) was the most common form of violence when
    a resident was home and violence occurred. Robbery (7%) and
    rape (3%) were less likely to occur when a household member was
    present and violence occurred.

*Serious injury accounted for 9% and minor injury accounted for
    36% of injuries sustained by household members who were home
    and experienced violence during a completed burglary.

These are excerpts only from the document but they suffice for this small piece of information. Now to answer the question of 'what could be done differently'.

Here in NZ guns are obscenely hard to come by. They are available but they are difficult to acquire and are grounded with heavy restrictions. That is as much an advantage as it is a disadvantage. So guns are out of the question; but not for an assailant. So what do we do in a situation like this?

- identify the person at the door; peep hole / camera / available window to peer through should always be available. You should always be able to identify the person at the door before saying anything. They don't know who is behind the door and if you aren't expecting anyone or if they don't have identification don't let them in. If you don't have a way of identifying who's at the door - install something. It could save your life.

- cellphones are your friend. In almost every case whenever someone comes to the door that my girlfriend doesn't know I tell her to call me. It doesn't take much she picks up the phone, she calls me and says 'there's someone at the door' I say 'no problems' and she keeps the cellphone in hand and answers it. I can hear people already yelling at me saying 'but cops take forever to arrive!' this woman was thrown around and then down the stairs. Had she called her husband prior to the incident medical assistance and enforcement would have been there much earlier. Aren't able to answer the phone? Text message. 'Someones at the door text in 5 if everything is o.k.'

- emergency service on speed dial; home phones with visual screens like cellphones where you have to dial the number and push send is ideal. One of these allows you to dial the emergency number and push 'send' in a pinch. Obviously try to use a home phone as a mobile isn't traced as easily.

- make the person behind the door feel uncomfortable. Ask lots of questions before letting anyone in. The more questions you ask; the more likely the person will get frustrated if they have an alternate reason for being there. Anyone that has a legitimate reason for being there should be able to answer any questions without too much trouble. This is especially true for people claiming to be authority. Ask for identification and an explanation as to why they are there. And if they ask to come in - ask what grounds they wish to enter on.

- if you DO for whatever reason have a self defense weapon; make sure you are trained and know how to use it. Flailing with a weapon can often lead to it being used on you. But people need to remember that training self defense for some people is like initiating the real thing. People panic even in training and it's this instinct you need to break. An offender in the home is no different to an offender on the street except you are on home ground. You actually have the advantage and if you are capable of fighting back being fearful will only get you hurt.

Just my 2c.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If only they'd kept staves behind every door!
    Or baseball bats. That's what I have near the back door, and in my car.

Jersey can be a rough place. I stay well prepared.

Big generator, for when storm come.

Big sticks, for the bad men.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A question for those who spend hundreds on guns for home defense: do you also have a trauma kit and know how to use it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 10:50pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pitbulls with access to the front yard, security doors and windows , various weapons including firearms , and awareness. Problem solved.

**** , the dogs alone would make 99% of potential threats choose the easy house across the street.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 11:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I struggle to see what the woman could have done in that case. It seems she was taken by surprise and then (obviously) completely overwhelmed so even if you live in a country where you are allowed to carry loaded guns in your home, I think it wouldn't make a difference. Martial arts training ranging from Krav Maga to boxing to BJJ would have done the woman little good against a surprise attack from an an assailant this much bigger. She says in the video that she kept quiet in order to save her child, and maybe that saved her life too as well. Who knows. Probably only the assailant.

Outer defenses such as alarms, sturdy doors and windows and maybe high walls would help. If nothing else, then at least in order to direct the assailant to an easier target. A big dog would have been an asset too, if well trained.

I'm not so sure that a guy should call for another guy's life to be ended, but in this case I think it might be warranted. The assailant seems completely ruthless, and seems to have limited compatibility with a civilized society. Maybe the "silver lining" when it comes to a comparatively violent country like the US (compared with Europe) is that at least you have a death penalty for those utterly horrendous individuals that actually behave as badly as the guy in this video. Let's just hope he gets caught.

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 4:55pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A question for those who spend hundreds on guns for home defense: do you also have a trauma kit and know how to use it?
    Yes, and I also picked up an EMT certification in my free time.

What now?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a dog. Or better yet, a goddamn roommate. Strength in numbers and all that.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverblow View Post
    ...direct the assailant to an easier target.
    Every time this sort of thing occurs, it must be determined why that particular house, out of all the homes in the vicinity, was the one which got targeted.

Yes, sometimes it may simply be due to random chance. However, potential home-invaders want to get certain things and do not want to get caught. This will inform their decision re: which homes they'll target and which ones they will avoid.

When a home invasion occurs, an assessment must be made to determine such things as: was it obvious--even from a distance--that there was a woman alone in the house? If so, what can be done, in the future, to make that less apparent to anyone observing the home?

That's just one of many variables that can be examined. Of course, there is no 100% guarantee that any safeguards will work, but the focus should be on risk-reduction to the greatest extent possible.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 8:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to chime in on how difficult its to stop someone with edged weapons. Definitely not pointed towards Permalost though, permalost owns and knows how to use 'stopping power' type edged weapons, aka will chop off a limb or head type edged weapons.

I'm a big advocate of a full power (9mm and up) hi-cap (8+ rounds) handgun if you're gonna be shooting indoors and moving by yourself, and you're gonna invest time in training. (different story if you have a buddy that will stack up with you). If you are gonna suck at shooting, a long gun is much better at stopping a threat (AR15, Shotgun with 3 buck or bigger, Mini 14, anything semiauto or pump)

But really, my only credentials are like, 0 firefights and 0 guns ever pointed at me on purpose, so take it with a grain of salt (maybe Lord Skeletor, Rock Ape, Vorpal, Tgace, Diesel etc with professional experience and training can chime in)

BTW, big dog > all IMO
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2013 2:38am

Style: Western Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The metheads in my county have started forced breakins day or night preferring the for the eldrly to be home. Sad to say I turn 66 on the 27th of this month. Good for me, I am a known as a disabled Nam vet armed to teeth. On the downside, the Metheads are after presciption drug and money. I have both. A tip for shotgun using to not shoot thru the walls use 7&half shot shells. Dallas went to this about 20 years ago and have no failure to stop a subject . That is like being hit with 20 .32 caliber bullets at the same time.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast