Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 2:07pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta agree, judging from the size difference and level of aggression, I find it difficult to believe that any MA training would have made a ton of difference. Have they said how the guy got in? I know I keep my doors locked...

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 2:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Gotta agree, judging from the size difference and level of aggression, I find it difficult to believe that any MA training would have made a ton of difference. Have they said how the guy got in? I know I keep my doors locked...
    She heard a noise, went to investigate and the sound was the backdoor being kicked in.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz2XG0nRmX7
    The chilling video captured the entire midday attack. The brazen assailant entered the home while mother and daughter watched cartoons on the couch. Palardy said the woman heard a noise and went to investigate.

�That was the back door being kicked down,� he said.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My house is a Where's Waldo of edged weapons.
    Now you mention edged weapons....

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) Authorities say a central California homeowner killed a robbery suspect with a samurai sword during a home invasion.

The Fresno County Sheriffs Office says two suspects armed with a handgun and an axe invaded a house in Firebaugh near Fresno in the middle of the night Saturday intending to rob the home.

The suspects, 34-year-old Aaron Baeza and 30-year-old Christopher Rupe, tied up the homeowner and his girlfriend and demanded money. They later freed the man to allow him to look for the cash.

The homeowner then stabbed and killed Baeza with his samurai sword.

Rupe escaped, remains at large, and is considered armed and dangerous. Investigators say he may be traveling with an unidentified Caucasian woman in a dark green Ford F-150 pickup, with a California license plate of 6T04402.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...samurai-sword/

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 5:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    She heard a noise, went to investigate and the sound was the backdoor being kicked in.
    Then the matter becomes: if one "goes to investigate" a noise at an entry point to one's home (rather than taking up an armed defensive position and waiting--or escaping to safety--as soon as the noise is heard and alarm protocols are initiated) then how does one go about it tactically, and what is one carrying effectively (ready for use) when one does so?

Now there's a run-on sentence for ya...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    If you really want to claim this you need to crawl up some statistics and calculate the like-hood of an home assault (actual assault, not robbery).
    This is tricky, since Home Invasion is not a crime by itself; it is step #1 of other crimes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When my place got broken in to (was renting, don't live there any more) they just lifted out a large sliding glass door.

Most doors and windows are easy to break and remove without making a LOT of noise. Moron kids can do it. That sucks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 9:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post

So let's discuss practical options for ensuring people we care about are prepared in the event something like this happens to them.
    So, if weapons and MAs are not a choice have a plan like Der suggested. Designate a safe-room. I know people that have a backroom with a reinforced or stronger door in their house. Obviously if you jump at every noise you'll go crazy. Learn your house, if it sounds wrong, go to the safe room. With kids it is tough. Since many people are scared of guns people need some type of awareness training. 911 operators get paid by the hour, so do not be embarrassed to call them for a false alarm. Keep a phone close by your person.

They had a short lived show called Panic 911. It was a shitty show, but showed me the idiocy of 911 and that cops tend to do clean up.
    I lean towards Devil's suggestions. I showed my wife this video and she freaked. Now, she wants more firearm training and as posted in another thread hates guns.

We lived in an affluent area when we first met. Very low crime. She comes from a small town, where people leave their doors unlocked to this day. I came over I told her how it is different in the city and safe neighborhoods have scary crime. Yes, I had to be misogynistic, I pointed out it was worse for women. I talked about locking doors, crimes of opportunity and many other things. The one thing I impressed upon her is NEVER answer the door for anyone.

A few weeks later, a "maintenance" guy showed up at her door. It was unscheduled and we just had the talk, so everything I said was fresh in her mind. She used the peephole and said let me get my boyfriend and see if he scheduled anything. The guy left. A few days later there was a rape. A week passes and there is another rape.

When the guy is caught, turns out he was knocking on random doors, looking for single women to let him in, when he saw they were alone or asked them questions he raped them. My wife wasn't sure, but his mugshot looked similar to the guy in the peephole. Got her to take up martial arts and be aware of her surroundings, but I could never get her on to guns.

What would you suggest this woman could have done better?
    All I can say is snatch the kid and run upstairs when there was a weird sound. That's hard to do when you have no idea it could happen to you.

tl;dr.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 9:49pm

Style: lazy

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean we have to defend our selves?! just call the police, that's what I would do to en. Violence has no place in society, violence begets violence people. How on earth could the presumption that anyone could be holding a loaded gun be a deterrent to predators.. What is wrong with modern society, wasn't like this in the old days. Back then people good Christians and everyone died from old age.

Sorry, i'm sick, bored, and sarcastic.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jersey is a difficult state to own firearms in, by national standards. It's not impossible, but a vast majority of the state is "unarmed" from a home defense POV, which is why some of these home invasions and robberies (which have occurred very near to my own home) lately have gotten more brazen. I'm honestly surprised this invader didn't have a gun.

There are plenty of security alarm and response systems in NJ for sure, but people rarely activate those during the day, which MIGHT have gotten a faster response here. I can imagine a lot of people will be arming their security systems more often now, even during the daylight hours (which will also unfortunately lead to an increase in false alarm calls which is a real issue).

All the people I know in NJ with licensed firearms are current or former police, current and former military, or people who hunt. The Marines I know typically have enough for everybody when the **** goes down.

From a purely technical standpoint...I like that there is detailed video of the assault, there will likely be DNA evidence, and there is very likely fingerprint evidence because the invader was not wearing gloves.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/26/2013 1:48pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    It's not impossible, but a vast majority of the state is "unarmed" from a home defense POV, which is why some of these home invasions and robberies (which have occurred very near to my own home) lately have gotten more brazen.
    If only they'd kept staves behind every door!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast