233683 Bullies, 3351 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 9:57am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Real World Self Defense Discussion: Home Invasions

This video:

...should wake you up. How many people do you know that stay at home during the day, are prepared in the event something like this happens?

Let's get this out of the way; a lot of the martial arts industry does run on fearmongering, and in the past that's even been done with a thin veneer of racism. But this is a video of a real event that really happened, and one woman's life will never be the same. She was unprepared.

So let's discuss practical options for ensuring people we care about are prepared in the event something like this happens to them.

What would you suggest this woman could have done better?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 10:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Preparedness is the only thing. I don't want to get into this individual situation. Just like a family should have a fire escape route planned, so they also need a tactical plan in the event of robbery or home invasion.

John Riddle offers a service for families in which he will walk their home & help them develop a plan for home defense. I highly recommend it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm at work, so I can't follow the audio. How did the guy get in? If she let him in, she shouldn't have done that. If he forced entry, the entrances should have been "hard" enough to give an occupant time to escape or retreat to a "safe" room. A large dog is a good idea. A weapon at hand (not necessarily a firearm) might have helped. Don't live in New Jersey.

As far as unarmed techniques... I don't know what to say. There was a serious size/aggressiveness discrepancy there. She wasn't going to win a fight, maybe not even create the proverbial distraction that leaves time for escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 10:24am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's fortunate that you can't get audio; it's harrowing.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 10:41am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Tell your wives to lock the fucking doors.

2. You lock the doors too. You're not invincible because you have a penis.

3. Don't open the fucking doors unless you know who it is.

4. When someone knocks on the door and you aren't expecting a visitor, arm yourself before approaching the door.

5. Yes, you need firearms. If you don't have them, you're fucking wrong. Period. If you want to argue that point, you're fucking wrong. Period.

6. If you peek out and don't recognize the person on your porch, ask them politely to leave. I suggest yelling something through the door like "Get the **** out of my yard!"

7. When they respond with "but, but, I'm just here for x, y and z", don't even let them finish the sentence. Pretend you are The Rock. IT DOESN'T MATTER......you know the rest.

8. If they try to force their way in, shoot them down like the piece of fucking trash that they are.

9. Women especially sometimes need help learning that it is okay to be rude to people. Criminals take advantage of people's inclination to be polite and nonconfrontational. Help your loved ones learn to be dicks. It may save their lives.

10. Have a plan in case you are surprised and someone gets in your house before you have a chance to react. This is a terrible scenario and you may not survive it, but having a plan gives you a better chance. This plan should involve getting to a firearm.

11. Oh, you need to have at least one LOADED firearm in your house. An unloaded firearm is a paperweight. Yes, I know Jesus and Nancy Pelosi agree that all your guns should be locked and frozen in liquid nitrogen. **** them. They don't care about your family. You need something to fight with in a hurry. Yes, this may pose some logistical and safety hurdles. Overcome them. You're smart enough to figure it out. The solution will begin with training for everyone in your household.

11. Look before you walk out of your house. Somebody could be standing there waiting for you to open the door.

12. Alarms, dogs, lights, etc. - all good. The more, the better. But the most important tool is awareness. You need to understand that there are very bad people out there. THEY ARE THERE. EVERY DAY. Just because you associate with people who are generally good, don't assume that people are good. There are wolves all around you. Know this. Don't forget it. Don't be a crippled sheep waiting for your turn to be plucked from the herd.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My house is a Where's Waldo of edged weapons.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Same here... or at least it was. My house was broken in to when I wasn't there a couple of years ago and they stole my knife and bayonet collection. Now I just have a couple of knives and usually take them with me, especially if I'll be away for a few days.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which means you're ready to deal with any threat up to, but not including a crackhead with a $20 pistol. You're underprepared. Be honest with yourself for your own sake.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Which means you're ready to deal with any threat up to, but not including a crackhead with a $20 pistol. You're underprepared. Be honest with yourself for your own sake.
    My gf actually wants to learn more about firearms and get some range time, we just haven't committed to actually doing it yet. I was thinking a pump action shotgun would be good in terms of cost and simplicity. Although its not as if holding a gun would make me crackhead-bullet-proof, and if you're in my house with me you're probably within 20 feet, and I've seen that missed rounds can go through quite a few walls.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 1:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gf actually wants to learn more about firearms and get some range time, we just haven't committed to actually doing it yet. I was thinking a pump action shotgun would be good in terms of cost and simplicity. Although its not as if holding a gun would make me crackhead-bullet-proof, and if you're in my house with me you're probably within 20 feet, and I've seen that missed rounds can go through quite a few walls.
    Good thinking.

Nope, holding a gun doesn't make you bulletproof. Yes, missed rounds can go through walls. Firearms are still far and away your best option for home defense.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast