Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 11:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    How is access to healthy food a problem in the US? I never understood this. I mean there ARE potato in the US, it is not Latvia isn’t it? I cant imagine that McDonalds is being less expensive in the states than cooking your own food.

Some people don't have time to cook because they work multiple low paying jobs and have kids.
    Buying a bunch of crap off of a fast food dollar menu must seem like a godsend when you've worked 14-6 hrs and have a car load of drooling, screaming rug-rats.
    Hell the kids are probably screaming for the **** anyhow.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Some people don't have time to cook because they work multiple low paying jobs and have kids.
    Buying a bunch of crap off of a fast food dollar menu must seem like a godsend when you've worked 14-6 hrs and have a car load of drooling, screaming rug-rats.
    Hell the kids are probably screaming for the **** anyhow.
    Yep, I remember a few times when the only food I had in my apartment was Ramen noodles, and I had 15 dollars to last me 5 or 6 days until pay day. And that is after deciding which bill I was going to not pay till next month. Yeah when you are doing that, McDonals dollar menu is crucial.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 6:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yep, I remember a few times when the only food I had in my apartment was Ramen noodles, and I had 15 dollars to last me 5 or 6 days until pay day. And that is after deciding which bill I was going to not pay till next month. Yeah when you are doing that, McDonals dollar menu is crucial.
    GHAAAHHHHH! NO!!

$4: Two Dozen Eggs

$5: 4 lbs Frozen Chicken

$6: 6lbs Mixed frozen Vegetables

Add to Ramen in whatever ratio / mix you please.

Six days of OK food, no McDillhole's, $15.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 9:46pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree

Too many people resort to the magical pill with magically too many side effects instead of disease prevention...

like DIABEETUS!

Edit: I see a lot of talk about ramen, which is pretty bad on terms of health. Anyways, have any o' you been to a legit ramen shop? taste so good...
    Last edited by big maclol; 6/26/2013 9:52pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 8:04am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    GHAAAHHHHH! NO!!

$4: Two Dozen Eggs

$5: 4 lbs Frozen Chicken

$6: 6lbs Mixed frozen Vegetables

Add to Ramen in whatever ratio / mix you please.

Six days of OK food, no McDillhole's, $15.
    Yeah, if I would have known then what I know now. Back then I thought getting croceries was mostly about what kind of pizza or hamburger meat to pick out. I didn't cook much. Mostly due to my mom always cooking growing up, and I had no idea how to do it. But, slowly I learned and now it's all good. Plus, eggs are free now, because I raise my own chickens! Bam! And have a garden.

Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    I agree

Too many people resort to the magical pill with magically too many side effects instead of disease prevention...

like DIABEETUS!

Edit: I see a lot of talk about ramen, which is pretty bad on terms of health. Anyways, have any o' you been to a legit ramen shop? taste so good...
    Yeah, I used to live in Japan, the ramen there was the best. But most of the bad stuff in Ramen is from the season pack, which I usually don't use much of. But yeah, I saw an article of a chick in the UK that only eats Ramen. Literally, and they said her health is terrible!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 10:33am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, if I would have known then what I know now. Back then I thought getting croceries was mostly about what kind of pizza or hamburger meat to pick out. I didn't cook much. Mostly due to my mom always cooking growing up, and I had no idea how to do it. But, slowly I learned and now it's all good. Plus, eggs are free now, because I raise my own chickens! Bam! And have a garden.
    There actually doesn't seem to be a lot of education about what a proper meal consists of, how to stretch a food budget and how to prepare various staples like various meats and veggies - either at school or in the home. When I went off to university I had almost no proper cooking experience so just about lived on baked potatoes or pasta as they were cheap, plentiful and hard to mess up. Of course we eat mostly of grilled meats and salads now, but I didn't learn the error of my ways until I had stopped training and my once lovely pert bottom had turned almost square under a mountain of carbs and life spent in an office chair. Starting all over again now :'(

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 12:44pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. I remember going back to visit my parents during college and walking into the kitchen and saying, "hey mom, how do you make that?" Then she spent the weekend showing me how to make the stuff I liked. Up till then I had no clue how to fry and egg. Once she started showing me, it was easy.

When I was in highschool, all the boys took shop and the girls too home ecconomics. Shop class helped a lot, but home ecconomics should have been required!
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 12:51pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right there! We only had home economics from grade 8 onwards, and I was too much of a science and biology geek to carry it on after grade 9 when we got to pick our electives. Most of our time was spent sewing or baking, and my mom doesn't like it when other people cook in her kitchen, so I was quite clueless. We had a compulsory subject called 'guidance', but it was pretty much 5 years of "don't do drugs, mmmmmkay?". Stuff like budgeting, cooking & how to manage your overall finances would have been much more useful.

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 12:55pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I mean healthy food, I mean fresh, non GMO, pesticide free food is expensive. Yes, many fruits and vegetables are crossbred, etc, but corn that insects refuse to eat, or chicken that are so fat they can walk and roll around in ****, is not Good, Healthy Food. It beats the **** out of starving, but the reason that it is mass produced like that is not social utility, it is for increased profit margins. The cheaper the food is to produce, the more money they make. It has nothing to do with anything else. It is healthier than TV dinners, but not by as much as you think.

I meant to say cannot walk and roll around in ****.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 12:59pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Said chickens **** all over each other-

http://solsticeson.files.wordpress.c...s-chickens.jpg
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast