Posted On:
    6/28/2013 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    I like Xingyi and I like Wing Chun.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie...!
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'm not a Chun hater, but I like to poke fun because they are always calling out other arts, particularly boxers and MMA. You'll notice Xing Yi, Hung Ga, Tai Chi people rarely do this out of RESPECT for boxing and MMA. Funny how that awareness thing works...some arts promote awareness, some muddle with it...

...Now, if there is one martial art that NO ONE should be claiming is susceptible to the classic Centerline Chun Assault, it is boxing. When I watch boxers, either on TV or in the gym, they are kings of damage control.
    ^^ This!
    Go on on Youtube and watch all the '_ng _un vs X' made by all the -ng -un guys... Then notice the complete lack of such videos made by Boxers etc...

The armchair psychology here, is irresistible... It's like the know, on some level, that the art is gash... So, such vids are desperate attempts at validation.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 1:09pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like Xingyi and I like Wing Chun.
    I actually don't mind Xingyi, it seems to have some cool stuff going on (other than the doing weird **** with your knuckles while punching), my roomie is just one of those cats who doesn't spar but insists and Xingyi plus 'dirty fighting' and techniques 'not allowed in sports' would let him take out BBJ or Judo practitioners. He does seem really technically good at his art, though, and uses it mostly to stay in shape and as a mental exercise, so I shouldn't make too much fun. His teacher is apparently a pretty big deal in CMA and has trained some pretty successful Lei Tai / Kuoshu fighters.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    my roomie is just one of those cats who doesn't spar but insists and Xingyi plus 'dirty fighting' and techniques 'not allowed in sports' would let him take out BBJ or Judo practitioners.
    His is the greatest fallacy in martial arts, and also the reason MMA training is so damn effective, because he sees only imaginary opponents, all of whom have training in a single discipline, making his virtual "Street Xing Yi" the supreme style (in his head).

And having a legitimate CMA lineage makes his bullshido delusion complete.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/28/2013 1:43pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 1:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually don't mind Xingyi, it seems to have some cool stuff going on (other than the doing weird **** with your knuckles while punching),
    No weirder than multiple other arts.

my roomie is just one of those cats who doesn't spar but insists and Xingyi plus 'dirty fighting' and techniques 'not allowed in sports' would let him take out BBJ or Judo practitioners.
    Good lord. I learned to bite, pinch, rake and eye gouge before I EVER took a martial art. This just pure silliness on his part.

He does seem really technically good at his art, though, and uses it mostly to stay in shape and as a mental exercise, so I shouldn't make too much fun.
    Yes, you should. It is a stupid belief that has watered down many CMAs.

His teacher is apparently a pretty big deal in CMA and has trained some pretty successful Lei Tai / Kuoshu fighters.
    Yes and they fight with rules which makes his comments even funnier.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/28/2013 1:52pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 3:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His teacher is apparently a pretty big deal in CMA and has trained some pretty successful Lei Tai / Kuoshu fighters.
    Where around here is he training Xingyi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 4:13pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where around here is he training Xingyi?
    Grandmaster Huang up in Owings Mills. He doesn't train there much anymore (he actually teaches private lessons himself now) but he studied there for a long time and still has a relationship with his GM. Due to my ignorance of CMA I can't attest to the quality of his teacher beyond the fact that lots of CMA guys I've spoken to seem to hold him in a high regard.

I should note that he doesn't think his art is unbeatable or supreme, he just has weird ideas about how people react to pain in a fight.
    Last edited by Zod; 6/28/2013 4:16pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123