Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789

Thread: Just sayin ;)

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Criminals favorite hobby=doing drugs
    A hobby they share with plenty of non criminals.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    A hobby they share with plenty of non criminals.
    Not in the USA.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not in the USA.
    You don't go out much, do you?

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Disagree.

There are some schools that will take anybody who can pay the monthly fee,

and they end up taking several young people who belong to home invasion crews, or that go out and pick fights with those that don't train.

There are violent surf gangs that are also primarily made up of members from specific jiu-jitsu clubs.

Jiu-Jitsu groups fighting on the beach for surf turf produced some of the more notable fights in the early Jiu-Jitsu history, and continues.

In larger cities, there have been old time and recent incidents where after perceived insult from some "tough guy" the community, and next thing you know a van full of Jiu-Jitsu guys get out and start bringing everyone connected to the perceived insult to the ground.

This is a thing, has always been a thing, and it is to be discouraged, but it still happens even today.

Throughout the entire history of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, we as a community have struggled with promoting professional self-improvement and sports competition (sports meaning ring fighting and mat matches) versus street fighting, challenge matches, some of the gyms being ran like cults or even drug distribution operations.

And, MMA fighters, like all fighters, frequently struggle with the same demons outside of the ring that brought them into the ring in the first place.

One time in 1991, my car broke down while I was at the boxing gym.
    The gym had a certain flavor to it, but the best professional boxers in town trained there.
    I bummed a ride off of two guys who trained there.
    While they were driving me home, the guy in the front seat started checking to make sure their pistols were loaded and they started talking about the liquor store they were going to knock over after they dropped me off.
    I was glad they dropped me off *before* making that stop, not after, particularly since there were no backseat doors.
    A lot of real boxing, and real MMA, gyms that cater to hungry but poor fighters have this kind of flavor.

While it is true that many Jiu-Jitsu programs are recreational programs,
    and it is true that some MMA programs are jazzercise programs in disguise,
    some gyms really cater to real fighters who feel that fighting is their best shot to put food on their tables.
    Those gyms bring in all sorts of characters.

One of the things I really like about the Valente brothers, the Torrance Academy, the Royce Network,
    and some of the self-defense schools is the formality they teach also in many cases teaches rules of engagement, and stresses some kind of good behavior in public component.
    I would point out that I saw some amazingly good behavior from the Valente brothers at an event in 2003,
    where a riot was about to break out, and the Valente brothers, quieted their people instantly, set a good example of behavior themselves.
    I was so impressed by that, I never forgot it, and have always admired them for it.
    I am sad to say that the group I was with, was much rowdier, and from top to bottom, our group was not as well behaved.
    Seeing that good behavior from the Valente brothers at that moment, was a turning point for me,
    as I had just been promoted to black belt in Jiu-Jitsu,
    and there the Valente Brothers were, being much classier and well behaved than some of the older black belts around us at that event.
    Then I realized that as black belts maybe part of our role is keep our students from being violent in public or acting the fool,
    instead of egging on that behavior, or behaving that way ourselves.

But a lot of gyms today still emphasize chest pounding or have members with known violent criminal entanglements, or that are members of gangs, etc.
    And this is always unfortunate, and often embarrassing to the name of Jiu-Jitsu.
    Those reputational entanglements, or famous coaches saying stupid things that make Jiu-Jitsu coaches sound like they don't conform to societal rules
    makes it harder to bring Jiu-Jitsu programs into universities, high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools.
    Because some school administrator who gets to approve or decline the club's presence will google Jiu-Jitsu, there will be embarrassing foul mouth comments from some prominent Jiu-Jitsu personage that makes us all sound unprofessional.
    This is why Underground PitFighting was invented...

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    You don't go out much, do you?
    I guess I should have said ,"doing illegal drugs." After doing them they would be criminals by definition.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should have said ,"doing illegal drugs." After doing them they would be criminals by definition.
    I mean, if you wanna be all "Rorschach" about it, I guess.

Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789