Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/24/2013 5:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting points.

I've had problems as such with people who were not confident. I was deliberately making mistakes and they followed and took ukemi. This is not good for a partner, as you create false confidence in your technique and you'll never correct your mistakes.

On the other hand, I like people who resist and make it difficult for you, as you need to get softer and softer in order to actually achieve something.

I always ask from my partner to be honest with me. If something doesn't work, I don't need him to do me a favour and fall. I appreciate more someone who reacts normally and is not doing something for the sake of doing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 5:05am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like something your instructor should be addressing. If you are only on kyu above him its not your place to be correcting. I say this knowing that I tend to try and help more than I should as a beginner when a fellow beginner is struggling. Your instructor can work with this guy and help build his confidence in his falls and his throws, and even control him enough during the throw that he will land ok (if your instructor is anything like the instructors I have been able to work with).

That said, sometimes you need to tell someone to stop something dangerous. For instance we had a BJJ guy come work out with us (he does so semi-regularly) and while practicing o-goshi he would catch my torso as I fell from his throw so that I was not only unable to break fall correctly, but my shoulders would stop while my hips kept falling and it would wrench my back quite violently. After a few throws like that I told him to stop and let me take my fall and explained why. We were learning together.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    9/11/2013 6:52pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talk to your instructor about it.

Fyi, I used to be the bad uke. Used to...

Posted On:
    9/12/2013 2:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manos View Post
    Interesting points.

I've had problems as such with people who were not confident. I was deliberately making mistakes and they followed and took ukemi. This is not good for a partner, as you create false confidence in your technique and you'll never correct your mistakes.

On the other hand, I like people who resist and make it difficult for you, as you need to get softer and softer in order to actually achieve something.

I always ask from my partner to be honest with me. If something doesn't work, I don't need him to do me a favour and fall. I appreciate more someone who reacts normally and is not doing something for the sake of doing it.
    I was having problems with new guys and the double leg. Which can cause them to freeze up and freak out a bit.

I have been finding that and to an extent my style has changed a bit to relect that My throws need a bit of movement and timing to work properly. Because I train with resistance now. I am frustrated a lot less by guys who are not attacking me correctly

You need quite good form to succeed on a guy who is a bit spazzy without actually smashing them.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2013 1:14am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    You need quite good form to succeed on a guy who is a bit spazzy without actually smashing them.
    This is a good point. I have inadvertently buried newbies (as a fellow newbie) over-doing throws on crappy/stiff/unhelpful ukes. That is part of why I recommended the hiza guruma - its hard to force/bury unless you jump on someone after a throw.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12