Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Thanks for the input!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried wearing a chainmail shirt instead of a WEKAF jacket for stickfighting one time. I learned that being hit with a rattan stick hurts through chainmail. I have no reason to doubt that an ax would suck to get hit with through chainmail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 7:08pm

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video, thanks for posting.

Posted On:
    6/30/2013 9:25am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I tried wearing a chainmail shirt instead of a WEKAF jacket for stickfighting one time. I learned that being hit with a rattan stick hurts through chainmail. I have no reason to doubt that an ax would suck to get hit with through chainmail.
    Question: Were you wearing just the mail shirt/Byrnie or did you have a padded shirt/gambeson underneath?

There's a huge question about whether or not Viking Age warriors wore padding under (or even over) the mail. There's no evidence firmly for it, but lots of suggestions based on practices in the early Medieval period and other cultures that used mail, experimental archeology, re-enactment experience, and old-fashioned common sense. Without padding, mail does not do much to mitigate blunt force trauma.

Of course, there's also a huge question about how wide-spread body armor was in the Viking Age. It was clearly present based on artistic evidence (visual and literary) but there's only been one (to my knowledge) discovery of a mail shirt dating to this period in the archeological record. Mail was extensively used in the periods just prior to and immediately following the Viking Age, but the height of the Viking Age is a big question mark.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2013 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/30/2013 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Question: Were you wearing just the mail shirt/Byrnie or did you have a padded shirt/gambeson underneath?
    Just the shirt, with a T shirt under it. One of my old students gave it to me when I quit teaching kung fu (homemade in his spare time). Its solid though. Very heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Video?
    No video; we just tried screwing around with it with some light strikes and decided it wasn't a great idea.

Posted On:
    6/30/2013 3:21pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just the shirt, with a T shirt under it. One of my old students gave it to me when I quit teaching kung fu (homemade in his spare time). Its solid though. Very heavy.
    Cool. It's nice when you get gifts like that. I made a practice shield for one of my instructors. We haven't played with it yet.

But if you weren't padded, that's why it hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 7:10pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't help feel that there is a serious misconception as to what 'not very effective' means. In my earlier post I mentioned briefly that axes are not very effective VS chainmail. Then it spun out of control despite saying that it didn't prevent crushing damage.

For clarity sake - I'd like to point out that a perfectly flat hammer type blow to someone in chainmail would indeed cause some serious damage even if it is from an axe. Fortunately on a moving target you aren't likely to have perfectly flat hammer type blow and you are in fact more likely to get a glancing blow.

Now one really needs to take into consideration the concept of a fight with available weapons. With an axe you're likely attempting to get swinging blows. Some had spikes on top for penetration but taking into consideration an axe blade we're talking about a bladed instrument with little surface area designed to cut and slice more so (but not entirely) than crush.

When we take this into consideration against something like chain mail; we can easily derive that things like hammers with their much larger surface area and less of a bladed edge would have a much better chance of causing crushing damage. Likewise certain weighted weapons with pointed edges that produce large amounts of force on a small pointed area would also be less likely to cause a glancing blow and more of a crushing or penetrating blow.

Piercing weapons have time and time again been proven to penetrate chainmail and there are numerous videos on youtube that offer such results as well as things like 'deadliest warrior' series (to be taken with a fist full of salt) that offer some insight to such results.

Of course we can consider the axe a 'valid' weapon in combat as the damage that it causes below chainmail is still substantial. But as an 'effective' weapon vs chainmail there are clearly better alternatives. Assuming of course you are facing a moving shielded opponent and carrying a bladed type axe that will have a high chance of deflecting as opposed to crushing. Consider too that axes do damage to shields and is something to consider when the opponent is defending himself.

If your opponent lays on the ground and lets you do a double overhead swing into his chest then I'm sure you'll get the results you are after.

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 1:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Axe Fight!

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 8:02am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Random thought on the axe ankle pick.

Wrestling footwork?

And specificly the knee drop. (probably a longer one though)

With that knee drop. You should get heaps of range and still maintain posture. with a sheild that sise I would think you would be compleatly behind it as you move forwards. And changing levels to atteck is never a bad thing on its own.
    Yeah interesting. This is exactly what I was thinking when watching the video.

Seems like an axe would work pretty well for an ankle pick type takedown.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234