Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 12:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    In what period was that accurate? Because I submit his claim is factually wrong.
    Ok. I can live with that. The teenager shooting home made arrows at a jug of Tampico in his back yard is wrong.

If you've got something to share then share it, mang.

I'm arguing against the statement that axes are 'not good against chainmail' and that your video evidence is worth a **** in support of any argument.
    Who said they aren't? Only you.

I've never fought a man in chainmail to the death but if I had to I rather have an axe than a lot of other things. The axe was a very popular weapon at a time when lots of soldiers were wearing chainmail. There had to be something behind that, right? I mean beyond just the cost savings. If there was something better they would have used it.

Where did I make this claim?
    I guess there's some sort of missunderstanding. What claim are you making?

Is it the ankle thing? Dude, you can get an ankle. Swing for their head and when they move to counter swing for their ankle. Set it up right and you can kock someone around like a rag doll with a decent pick. Practie sinawali like in Der Auslander's video and make angles your bitch. You can nail all the ankles you want. You be an ankle killing machine. The fuckin Mayor of Ankle Bite City, Bro. I believe in you.

If I had to guess I'd say they aren't attacking each others exposed joints because making contact againt a boney spot with a hatchet could actualy hurt something in a non-sporting fashion. It's the same reason they didn't crank that armbar or brain each other.

But dude, if you've got some input on the chainmail thing share it. You can contribute or we can call each other names all night.

No bust out some sweet axe on chainmail, or something on chainmail, or axe on something! This is the AXE FIGHT thread, mang!
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 6/22/2013 12:33am at .

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 10:36am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Sweet Viking Age Fights!

Last edited by Styygens; 6/22/2013 10:41am at . Reason: accidental double post

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 10:38am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You two are trolling, right?

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    You two are trolling, right?

That's fucking awesome. I really like the etching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 9:02pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 10:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Random thought on the axe ankle pick.

Wrestling footwork?

And specificly the knee drop. (probably a longer one though)

With that knee drop. You should get heaps of range and still maintain posture. with a sheild that sise I would think you would be compleatly behind it as you move forwards. And changing levels to atteck is never a bad thing on its own.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2013 5:01am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a different approach to using the large round shields in sparring bouts. Obviously, the sword has a different dynamic and tactic than the ax, but note the much more active footwork, wider (active) range of guards and attacks with the shield, use of the shield to bind the opponent's weapon and block their line of sight, etc.

And here's a very detailed discussion of the theory:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2013 1:51pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I've never fought a man in chainmail to the death but if I had to I rather have an axe than a lot of other things. The axe was a very popular weapon at a time when lots of soldiers were wearing chainmail. There had to be something behind that, right? I mean beyond just the cost savings. If there was something better they would have used it.
    Me neither. Probably a good thing. I think that while axes were a solid weapon they were never as sought after as swords, just far easier and cheaper to make, and never as widely used as spears in the era where mail was the dominate type of armor in Europe. They definitely got the job done.

I've handled period accurate mail, it doesn't lay like the stuff those kids are messing with and you certainly can't repair it with a pair of pliers. Most of the ring are solid, needing not rivet, and the joining rings are all riveted shut. I've few doubts a bodkin couldn't pierce it under the right circumstances but I doubt it would blow a huge hole like in the video - it'd probably break a ring or two and slide on through to the bits that bleed and scream below.

Anyway, I've seen too many internet posts in my day about how 'X vs Y' was a good / bad pairing in medieval / Renaissance arms, usually based on a bad movie or stupid History channel show and it fires up my inner pedant. Didn't mean to crap up your thread and the axe fight video is definitely awesome ****. If I had the kit for it I'd love to try it.

I guess there's some sort of missunderstanding. What claim are you making?
    Yep, I think we've been talking past each other. I was disputing that other dudes claim about axes being poor against mail, you replied to that and down the rabbit hole we went. Wanna hug it out?

Is it the ankle thing? Dude, you can get an ankle. Swing for their head and when they move to counter swing for their ankle. Set it up right and you can kock someone around like a rag doll with a decent pick. Practie sinawali like in Der Auslander's video and make angles your bitch. You can nail all the ankles you want. You be an ankle killing machine. The fuckin Mayor of Ankle Bite City, Bro. I believe in you.
    I've popped a dude or two in the ankle (albeit with a longer stick that those axes) - also wrists, elbows, knees, all that stuff. It's definitely a doable thing but 'just crush their ankle' is about as an effective answer to AXE FIGHTing as 'just break his fucking jaw' is to a boxing match. It's ace but easier said than done.

If I had to guess I'd say they aren't attacking each others exposed joints because making contact againt a boney spot with a hatchet could actualy hurt something in a non-sporting fashion. It's the same reason they didn't crank that armbar or brain each other.
    Agreed. Even armored up like that it's not hard to hurt each other really badly with a piece of blunt steel. When I did HEMA stuff we stuck to rattan or split bamboo with a little protective gear and fencing masks (I bent the face bars on one of those kendo bogu masks in once with a split bamboo waster once, my buddy wasn't sure whether to be amazed that bamboo bent metal like that or pissed that I broke his expensive hat).
    Last edited by Zod; 6/23/2013 2:13pm at .

Posted On:
    6/23/2013 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Thanks for the input!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried wearing a chainmail shirt instead of a WEKAF jacket for stickfighting one time. I learned that being hit with a rattan stick hurts through chainmail. I have no reason to doubt that an ax would suck to get hit with through chainmail.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast