Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 11:28am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Roger Boggs, 5th degree deadly black belt test and triangle can openers

www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=433968960035092

So, this video has been circulating on Facebook these last few days labeled 5th degree black belt test. The video is hilarious. I had to satisfy my morbid curiosity and dig deeper.

This video was posted on Bullshido, and it seems to be the work of the same group.

Both videos provide no context, but I figured out that the logo on their shirts is the shield of Captain America. It led me to this blog, which in turn led me to their site.

They also offer Judo classes, of the Kodokan judo kind :D

Sparring is not required until brown belt, and is only done with special equipment bought at the McDojo.

Roger (sensei teacher :D) Boggs has these vague rank claims on the site:

Sensei (teacher) Boggs is our Chief Instructor and currently holds the rank of 5th Dan (5th degree Black Belt). He also has earned Black Belts in Judo and Jujitsu.
    In 1995 he joined Goshin Karate & Judo Academy. In December of 2000 he was awarded his first degree black belt by Mike & Cathy Anderson, the founders of the Goshin Karate & Judo Academy.Sensei Boggs charts the path of the dojo for the future. He sets the curriculum for all classes, determines belt promotions and leads the adult and children’s classes. He has a vast wealth of knowledge and is the example of skill that we all aspire to obtain. His commitment to our dojo by demonstrating the benefits of the right attitude.
    He began training in the Martial Arts in the 1970’s (Judo, Wrestling, and Taekwondo) in Cedar Rapids Iowa, before relocating to Scottsdale Arizona in 1986.
    His passion for all things “martial arts” powers his daily training ethic and he continues to grow as a martial artist through guidance from many sources in the Judo, Jujitsu, and Karate community.
    Then, there is the video of Mr. Boggs actually instructing a grappling class. After the chants of "You rock", he demonstrates a highly questionable technique and goes on to drilling. Bonus points for discussing the application of the technique in MMA.

There is a reference to MMA and BJJ classes in the video description.

This footage was shot at Chris Pollman Karate Academy in Weatherford, OK. Located at 1805 E Main St reet. Available Martial Art styles: Brazilian Jujitsu, Goju Ryu, Karate, Kick Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).

So, I started writing this as a LOL krotty YMAS post, but as I dug deeper I'm thinking that maybe this warrants a MABS investigation.
    Last edited by Nefron; 6/20/2013 11:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 12:12pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    So, I started writing this as a LOL krotty YMAS post, but as I dug deeper I'm thinking that maybe this warrants a MABS investigation.
    The Judo BBs should be pretty easy to check, right?
    Last edited by JohnKenner; 6/20/2013 12:13pm at . Reason: Removing quote

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet jesus.... not sure if that was the worst video on how to perform the Smash Pass I've ever seen or the best video on how to get triangled by a white belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 12:19pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read through their class schedule, bjj isn't listed anywhere. The closest I see is a seminar taught by guest instructor Michael Keschinger on "Kenpo Jiu Jitsu" listed here:

http://www.goshinkarate.com/Goshin_Calendar.html

Searching Michael Keschinger brought me here:

http://tucsonakka.com/background/

Where his experience in "American Kenpo Karate - Jiu Jitsu is listed as:

"Teaching
 1991-Present 

American Kenpo Karate- Jiu Jitsu 
under Grandmaster Bill Packer, Bruce Davis and Phil Gilbert"

Bill Packer I found here: http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/BillPacker.htm

Judging from his bio I assume he was well known amongst Kenpo people, no mention of jits though.

I found Bruce Davis here: http://www.abqbjj.com/ABQBJJ_instructors.shtml

I didn't see any rank, but it appears he has been taught by William Carpenter (BJJ Black Belt under Pedro Calvalho and/or Rodrigo Texiera.

I also looked up Phil Gilbert who I only found a youtube for:

http://www.youtube.com/user/frdbadf/videos

but there are jits comp videos, so I assume he's legit. Appears to be from the Atlanta area, anyone with more information (time)?

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the instructors on the channel is Michael A. Hermosillo.

http://www.utahmixedmartialartstrain...ctor-profiles/

Michael A. Hermosillo, Sandan (3rd Degree Black Belt)

Prof. Hermosillo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Professor & Sandan Kodokan Judo Sensei is an American Martial artists whose experience spans four decades.

In 1974, Professor Hermosillo trained in Shindo Jinen-Ryu Karate Jitsu in Southern California. Later he took up boxing, training under “Kid Rayo” for over 4 years. Professor Hermosillo then entered the world of grappling by training with Brazilain Jiu-Jitsu Master Rickson Gracie, Master Sylvio Behring, Grand Master Alvaro Barreto, Grand Master Flavio Behring and Master Pedro Sauer. He also studied Judo at the Kodokan in Tokyo, Japan, and trained locally with Dr. Chiang Liu Chen, Kenji Yamane Sensei. Professor Hermosillo also studied with Mark Shultz (Olympic Gold Medalist Wrestling & UFC Champion) where he trained MMA and Wrestling.

Professor Hermosillo is the 2002 US National Brazilain Jiu-Jitsu Champion, 8 year Utah State Judo Champion and has many other championship titles in national and international competition.
    As far as I can see, their competition record seems legit. Hermosillo competed in US National BJJ tournament as a blue belt. Its not clear to me if he is currently claiming a black belt in BJJ. He is calling himself professor.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 12:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    As far as I can see, their competition record seems legit. Hermosillo competed in US National BJJ tournament as a blue belt. Its not clear to me if he is currently claiming a black belt in BJJ. He is calling himself professor.
    In BJJ, this indicates a minimum rank of first degree black belt according to the CBJJ.

In the Machado lineage I trained under, it was only acceptable after 2nd degree black belt.

Here is a link to the BS thread that discusses this subject.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105758

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 2:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems that Michael Hermosillo got his black belt from Sylvio Behring.

http://www.arcanumbjj.com/1220/maste...ylvio-behring/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 3:31pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought he was demonstrating a triangle hold until he started pulling on the head. I don't have sound at work right now but I'm pretty sure I saw this position in a book of karma sutra. Maybe he's reading both books in his off time and mixed them up?

Also the black belt demo check out Stay Puff Marshmallow Man who rocks in at about 20 seconds.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a black belt test?? Fucking hell I have seen white belts that could pass that ****.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are some people really that sensitive in that little area behind the mandible and below-ish the ear? Like I get an elbow jammed into there constantly when we're working Kimuras from the mount and its mildly discomforting at best, not tap-worthy.. Was that blonde kid tapping just because he feared the Sensei powers?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast