MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alright guys. Motivate my lazy butt.

Since I moved back from Seattle, I have grown in many ways - my business has taken off, I've finally started writing in a semi-serious fashion, my love life and social life could not be better.
    The one thing that is definitely flagging is my athletic life. I took about six months off from martial arts of any kind (the longest I have ever gone without fighting mans), and finally got back into it by way of getting into sword stuff. Which while neat, is definitely not nearly as physically demanding as Muay Thai or Sambo. I've gotten involved in a performance art group where I'm doing some dance and gymnastics type stuff, but again, not quite the same.
    I've been trying to go the gym and lift to fill the gap, but keep running into the problem of I Just Don't Wanna. I'm getting lazy. I lift *maybe* once a week. I used to be motivated by insecurity - about my looks, about my fighting ability - but sadly maturity has crushed that motivating force. I need a new one.
    My body looks the same, but I am definitely losing my superhuman strength. No more 240 lb ATG squat, that's for sure.
    Recommendations? I've thought about trying out Crossfit or some similar style of classes, with the hopes that will keep me engaged and motivated more. I've thought about getting back into MMA again at my old Ann Arbor gym, which was quite the workout. I dunno. Like so many Americans, I have this vague desire to get Swole as ****, but when it comes to actually embarking on that journey, I keep prioritizing other things higher. I feel like if I don't act fast, I'll never realize my dream of weighing more than 165 pounds.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 7:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read your sig you lazy sack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 8:13pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What motivates me is the desire to be the strongest man ever, and to become unbeatable in a fight. (Impossible I understand)

Maybe that can help?

Why do you train?

Maybe if you put it in writing it would become more clear.

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 8:53pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    What motivates me is the desire to be the strongest man ever, and to become unbeatable in a fight. (Impossible I understand)

Maybe that can help?

Why do you train?

Maybe if you put it in writing it would become more clear.
    Lol! Sounds like me when I was 15. (Also, looks at Mister's style field)

Try kettlebells out McClaw. They probably won't get you swole as **** but the workouts are quick and demanding, perfect for a busy schedule or someone who just wants to get the workout over with. There was a recent thread about kbs and one consensus was that you should get qualified instruction before trying it out. I scoff at that, jspeedy needs no instruction! I aquired Pavel's enter the kettlebell book and video but Pavel gives a lot of info. As I said in the other thread Anthony Dilugio has a book that speels out ecaxtly what to do and when, king of like how stronglifts is formatted. If you know the body mechanics behind the big lifts the kb shouldn't be hard to pick up as long as you stick to the basic kb lifts.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dang! Speedy beat me to it. But I'll jump on with him. Kettlebells, is what I'm into at the moment and the reason may be what you are looking for. I used to lift weights a lot. Benching 405lbs and squatting almost 500. But knee and shoulder injuries made me re-evaluate my workouts. So I got into pushups, pullups, dips, squats...

I recently started kettlebells and I noticed a few things. One, the workout I get is awesome especially when compared to the time it takes. 10 minutes of swings, and I was ready to puke. Two, it appeals to my masculine desire to throw heavy weight around. Three, if you have experience doing lifts, like Speedy said, you can probably pick up on the technique pretty quick.

I have Pavell's enter the kettlebell book and Maxwell's book. Plus about a million videos on youtube.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 10:42am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're aging. You're older than when you started posting on this website. Every day you slack off it becomes that much harder to be the ideal form of who you could have been, if you hadn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 10:52am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't sort it out now before it's too late, this could be you:

Is that what you want?

IS IT?!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should get into a literary feud that escalates into a duel at a pre-arranged date.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your wish is my command.

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 1:17pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you guys think about having a dedicated subforum for motivation and martial philosophy... not the fortune cookie bullshit, but a section for discussing how to get and/or keep your head in the right place?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast