• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 6:34pm

Style: Bowie

Hell yeah! Hell no!

New CBD article: How they hold the knife doesn't tell you if they know how to use it.

New CBD article: How they hold the knife doesn't tell you if they know how to use it.

"In the last few years, I've seen a lot of ink (electrons?) spilled over trying to gauge a person's skill based on how he holds the knife.

Most of it revolves around looking at how a person holds the knife and trying to draw a conclusion about whether or not they have any training. "

http://cbd.atspace.com/articles.html

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 7:11pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should assume everyone is trained/deadly with a knife never judge someone by the way they present themselves,

Danny inosanto last time he was in Australia Said he once saw a guy from israel military who showed him how they fight he said the guy sat down one leg forward one leg back with arms by his side, He then told Dan to come at him how ever he wants dan said as soon as he stepped forward the guy grabbed his anle and took him down,

He then showed dan the ring on his thumb had a hook on it explaining in real he would of used the hook tho his achilies to bring him down not his hand.

the person who least looks a threat is almost always the biggest threat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 8:20pm

Style: kampfringen/savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting article.

Notice the placement of the thumb in most the examples you used regardless of the grip.

I don't know how it effects later period arts with small blades but medieval dagger definately suffers if the thumb is not placed correctly.
    Maybe it's the length of the weapon or maybe just the way of making the ice pick grip work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 9:28pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorschlag View Post
    Interesting article.

Notice the placement of the thumb in most the examples you used regardless of the grip.

I don't know how it effects later period arts with small blades but medieval dagger definately suffers if the thumb is not placed correctly.
    Maybe it's the length of the weapon or maybe just the way of making the ice pick grip work.
    In the icepick grip, it's common to use the thumb to "cap" the butt if there is no functional guard to prevent the grip from slipping down. When there is, as is illustrated in these pics, there is no need to "cap" the butt of the pommel and, instead, use the thumb hammer-grip style to enhance the grip on the handle.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 10:23pm

Style: kampfringen/savate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    When there is, as is illustrated in these pics, there is no need to "cap" the butt of the pommel and, instead, use the thumb hammer-grip style to enhance the grip on the handle.
    We used to use that in our medieval dagger work, we've discovered that it made the defences too trivial, the moment the thumb is placed against the handle or the pommel the defender had to work allot harder.

I think this is because it brings in the larger muscles in the upper arm and thus the muscles in the shoulder and back are more involved in the process allowing you to properly apply the force your generating.

Most of the sword like grips in your article seem to be following a similar concept where the thumb is being placed along the handle pointing down the blade, I assume the two are tied to similar if not the same bio-mechanics.

Of course I suppose there are times when the thumb or digits will be placed differently depending on the situation or technique, I know they do that in long sword, I don't see it much in the later arts though.

As I've said though I don't have any experience with modern knife fighting "yet" so my perspective would only really be applicable to dagger.
    Last edited by Vorschlag; 6/18/2013 10:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 7:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorschlag View Post
    As I've said though I don't have any experience with modern knife fighting "yet" so my perspective would only really be applicable to dagger.
    Which is plenty valid for discussion. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 7:27am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's always that one n00b in almost every Kali seminar who will point out that if someone is using "icepick" grip that means he's skilled and is going to try to kill you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 5:03pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool article. I have an older book on knife fighting that was a gift from my father and I always have to contain my rage when I get to the sabre vs ice pick part. They introduce the use of the ice pick in Renaissance Europe and how useful it was for them, and then they immediately state that anyone using an ice pick grip is either deranged or a woman or both.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good summary of the controversy. It always bothered me how Applegate said that a hammer grip can only do an upward stab and an icepick grip can only do a downward stab, since the hammer grip can pretty much follow all the same lines as a foil grip, and the icepick grip can cut one o'clock to six, and stab from 6 to 1.