Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2015 11:01pm

Style: mt/bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I keep getting colds/fevers?

I basically get a cold every 2 months. Some are intense and some are dull.

Especially when I train hard 3x a day. I tend to take cold showers and minutes later I go outside or I forget to change shirts after I leave gym.

I also need more fruits

I'm 21 years old, super active, trains hard, and gets sick a bit too often.

I'm hoping you guys can relate what I described to confirm why I'm getting sick so much! lol

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BACHIBOUZOUK!!... BOIS-SANS-SOIF!!!

Posted On:
    5/23/2015 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get sick any week I get into a solid groove at the gym and start pushing myself. I'm basically telling a sore throat to **** off as I type this.

Important solution to this that is nearly always overlooked: get more sleep. 8h a night does more for your immune system than any supplement. Morning caffeine helps convince you that you're good to go but your body NEEDS THAT REST.

Goodnight.

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 2:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A steady regimen of spicy chillies and bone broths in my diet has kept me from getting a cold for almost two years now.
    I highly reccomend Pho. Sometimes stops the sick dead in it's tracks.
    All the classics are good though. Albondigas, spicy chicken vegetable, whatever. It's the bone broth and the chillies that help you fight the funk.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Jutsu/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at your diet, and get plenty if rest.

I work in a bar where people bring in whatever bug that's going around. Never have I seen so many dirty bastards coming out of the shitter that don't wash their hands then try to shake yours 100 times!!

Stay topped up on multivitamins, especially vitamin D which pretty much is your immune system. A half a garlic clove works for me too, and keeping alcohol under moderation. Nothing like pissing out all your nutrients on the immune suppressant drink, getting no sleep, then pushing your body through a tough session to start Monday right. Good way to get the lurgy.

New hat

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 10:26am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training 3 times a day? Overtraining prevents your body from being able to recuperate properly. This includes not only your muscles, but other organ/body systems as well. Your immune system is on that list.

When I read the thread title, before I read your post, my first thought was chronic sinus infection, but now I suspect you're not allowing your body to recover sufficiently due to overtraining.

Describe your diet. That is also a possible culprit depending on how nutritious the foods that you eat are. Do you have chronic allergies?

We need more information before we can give you our wholly unqualified internet opinion.

What I'm saying is you need to talk to a doctor about this. Have you done so already?

Solves puzzles that torture the mind.

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    I basically get a cold every 2 months. Some are intense and some are dull.

Especially when I train hard 3x a day. I tend to take cold showers and minutes later I go outside or I forget to change shirts after I leave gym.

I also need more fruits

I'm 21 years old, super active, trains hard, and gets sick a bit too often.

I'm hoping you guys can relate what I described to confirm why I'm getting sick so much! lol
    Any history of chronic or reactive airway disease? Smoker? Live in an area with high pollution (looks like you do).

Any trouble whatsoever with your lungs' natural "cleansing" functions, and your incidence rate of respiratory illness will increase, especially in allergy particulate seasons (pollination etc) or in areas with a lot of smog, etc. All of this stuff increases your chances to develop minor (or major) lung infections from colds to pneumonia.

People often associate allergies with sneezing, rhinitis etc...but it can actually lead to more colds, viruses, bronchitis, etc, simply because of increased inflammation, excess phlegm etc.

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 2:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hows the diet?
    Eating clean will help a lot
    Getting a lot of protein will certainly help.
    Also get tested for food allergies/sensitivities.
    If you want to work out as often as you are I suggest you break yup your schedule so that one muscle group a day that way that muscle group gets 6 days off before getting hit again, pay attention to secondaries and make sure you have 3 days off before using a muscle group as a secondary.
    Get your full 8-10 hours of sleep if your working out that much.
    Fluids, Fluids, Fluids.
    Find and take a good Multi without iron.
    A good source of probiotics(NOT YOGURT(full of sugar and is pasteurized so their isn't much left anyways) will also help.
    Be super vigilant about your sugar(in all of its names) if your putting that much stress on the body.
    I would also steer clear of caffeine you need to listen to how your body feels so that you get the right amount of down time to offset the stress you are putting on your body.
    If your getting sick a lot try and switch up your protein until you get your alergents back.
    Try a 100% hyrdolized beef protein.
    This place has them and they are cheap
    http://truenutrition.com
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 6:51pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every summer I'd notice these "almost colds" where I'd start to feel the symptoms, and it never really progressed into anything. After several years, someone said "hey, ever think you might have allergies?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 7:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Describe your diet. That is also a possible culprit depending on how nutritious the foods that you eat are.
    Great advice everyone!

My diet in the morning I'd eat a handful of kale or spinach and water and go to morning conditioning at 6 or 7am, which is a pretty intense class, afterwards I'll have a 40-50g protein shake (isopure brand) and eat some eggs, a bit more spinach, and more water.

Then around 10am or noon I'll have boxing which is pretty intense too and after that I'd eat eggs or cereal and try to get more veggies like broccoli

then for evening at 6pm I have MMA/wrestling which is pretty hardcore as well and afterwards I'd have some broccoli, chicken/turkey, and maybe brown rice.

I also drink water throughout the day.

Ironically when I was in L.A last year for a training camp that was about a month. I was staying with a super healthy friend of mine in Santa Monica and he had me juicing fresh veggies everyday (wheatgrass, spinach, carrots, kale, beets, cilantro, parsley, and celery). Also a lot of fruit and lean meat I didn't catch one single cold and I trained all day every day for a month

I usually don't sleep till midnight or 1am

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2015 7:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, first thing that happens when I get a cold are lung/sinus related. Oddly I have a lot of stamina for someone who weighs 220 lbs and can literally move like a light weight. Doctor says I have powerful lungs but they get bronchitis like once a year almost lol. (though it's been much longer than a year since I've had bronchitis)

I also notice I tend to go outside with no jacket a lot and I'm wondering if this is one of the causes

seems like a lot multiple causes. The thing is though wouldn't it build my immune system?
    Last edited by big maclol; 5/24/2015 7:38pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast