Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 4:46am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Boon Brown
    Master Boon Brown, has Black Belts in several styles of Asian martial arts and has studied across the US and overseas. At an early age, he showed a deep love of sword fighting and swordsmanship, and was blessed with the opportunity to train in the style of his own European ancestors under to tutelage of his family. At a young age he knew he wanted to teach so he earned a degree in Education. This allows him to better understand how to teach and provide training for his students.

To put himself through school, he worked for two years as a Recreational Therapist at a Psychiatric Facility where his martial arts skills were put to the test daily. Few martial artists get this kind of authentic training and experience; no ring, no referee, no protective gear, non-consensual combat without rules.

Through this period he faced many revelations of the inaccuracy and lack of logic to many of the things he had been taught. He vowed to change things so that people could leave the martial arts studio feeling confident because their skills were viable in the real world, and not just because they had been frequently rewarded for excelling in physical skills that may not be based on valid and functional martial arts self defense abilities.

He is today considered the Founder of Ancient Ways, and the patriarch of a long line of Celtic teachings. He refers to his style as the Celtic Martial arts, more because of how it is taught, not what is actually taught. The Celtic Style caters to the student's strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. This is how the Celtic Warriors taught throughout Europe.
    So, what qualifications does this guy have? Black Belts in what, from whom and when?
    Anything that relies on more than self-staging?
    I made some sentences bold, I would like to learn more about.

Like: "At an early age, he showed a deep love of sword fighting and swordsmanship, and was blessed with the opportunity to train in the style of his own European ancestors under to tutelage of his family" - his elder brother?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 6:10am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Wee warriors'!?! Are we sure this isn't a parody?

Being from a celtic region of the UK this is the only thing like an indigenous martial art I know of that is still seriously trained (against someone actually fighting back).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 8:07am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homernoid View Post
    So, what qualifications does this guy have? Black Belts in what, from whom and when?
    I would also be interested to know that the grades he is giving out are in, on the ultra hard sell somewhat creep promo vids the activity is always called Martial Arts. So what the student works towards a black belt it martial arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 8:59am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone who knows their history better than I do can correct me, but this guy claims to trace his lineage back to the 7th Century AD -- that would be well into the Christian era and long after the Roman occupation of Celtic lands. How likely is it that the kind of uniquely Celtic martial arts he's talking about even existed at that time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 9:08am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Someone who knows their history better than I do can correct me, but this guy claims to trace his lineage back to the 7th Century AD -- that would be well into the Christian era and long after the Roman occupation of Celtic lands. How likely is it that the kind of uniquely Celtic martial arts he's talking about even existed at that time?
    The 7th century (especially in Scotland is essentially prehistoric. e.g. there are no written records. They are very few written records for this period and those that are (such as the Anglo-Saxon chronicle and Bede) don't cover births and deaths of people living in Scotland at the time. He cannot accurately trace his ancestry back because there are no written records for this period covering births and deaths.

At the time there would have been no concept of a "martial art" - that is a modern invention. They just learnt to use weapons from family, clan etc. There wasn't any kind of formal syllabus. People living in Scotland at the time would principally been farmers and warriors second.

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liked the St Mawgan wrestling vid. Cumberland (modern Cumbria) had its own tradition of wrestling around the Lake District. Champion of Grasmere, is a term I've read of in the past.

As for tracing personal lineage back to the 7th C, I can only laugh in derision. Even allowing for the first census circa 1837, he's got to joking. Really.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 6/19/2013 2:26pm at . Reason: typo
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123