Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 11:08am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ancient Ways Martial Arts Academy

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about these guys before.

http://www.awmaa.com/about_celtic.asp.

Looks like the head honcho is one master Boon Brown who can " trace his lineage back to 650 AD in Strom Scotland".

Also:
    "The method that Master Brown teaches is not an ancient martial art, but a modern one that he and others have designed based on theories of ancient techniques, ancient customs and on the ancient principle of Battle Field Logic, as well as what has been handed down to him from his forefathers"

I do have a slight problem with people like this pretending that somehow they understand how such as the Celts fought.

The Celts that Boon is referring too died out as a culture thousands of years ago. I find it extremely doubtful if he is able to trace any kind of lineage back that far.

I don't think this is a MABs thread - I just think this guy is sad and delusional.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Students get the opportunity to test out their training in a way only Ancient Ways can provide. Our sparring training is designed not to teach our students how to win in the ring, but instead how to win in defense of their lives or the lives of their loved ones. We take the play out of sparring.
    No fair. They take the play out of sparring.

Oh there's this too:

Why pay for a baby-sitting service when your children can get martial arts training every day of the week.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/17/2013 11:33am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 11:36am

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    No fair. They take the play out of sparring.

Oh there's this too:
    and Birthday parties, a proud Celtic tradition that one only 15.99GBP per child too

http://www.awmaa.com/party.asp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 12:03pm

Style: grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    "The method that Master Brown teaches is not an ancient martial art, but a modern one that he and others have designed based on theories of ancient techniques, ancient customs and on the ancient principle of Battle Field Logic, as well as what has been handed down to him from his forefathers"
    Battlefield Logic seems pretty solid, I trust it in both Martial Arts and the wimminz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 12:25pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheap compared to the 19.99 evaluation lesson

http://www.awmaa.com/getstarted.asp

"On your first Evaluation Class, we will discuss your goals for your training and determine a plan for which classes are right for you. Until we conduct a proper evaluation it is impossible to tell you which family tuition plan is right for your family."

I am pretty confident that its not "impossible" to pick a plan without paying 19.99

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 12:37pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    Cheap compared to the 19.99 evaluation lesson

http://www.awmaa.com/getstarted.asp

"On your first Evaluation Class, we will discuss your goals for your training and determine a plan for which classes are right for you. Until we conduct a proper evaluation it is impossible to tell you which family tuition plan is right for your family."

I am pretty confident that its not "impossible" to pick a plan without paying 19.99
    They probably want to vet you to make sure that you are not a Roman.

Celts hate Romans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 1:17pm

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I remember from my latin-classes, celtic fighting mainly consisted of getting naked, filling various orifices with drugs and hitting everything and everyone with everything and everyone.

But then, those reports came from a roman.
    Last edited by nils; 6/17/2013 1:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 1:22pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    As far as I remember from my latin-classes, celtic fighting mainly consisted of getting naked, filling various orifices with drugs and hitting everything and everyone.

But then, those reports came from a roman.
    I could get really boring at this stage and explain about the impact of Celtic weaponary, armour and tactics on the development of the Roman Army. (I did my dissertation on this - which is why this guy gets right up my nose).

However, there is good evidence that they used to get **** faced and beat the **** out of anything that moved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 1:25pm

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'd find this quite interesting; so if you could point me to some good sources (or explain here), I'd appreciate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 1:33pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    Actually, I'd find this quite interesting; so if you could point me to some good sources (or explain here), I'd appreciate it.
    Good starting pointing - Peter Connolly - Greece and Rome at War. Coffee table format but a massive wealth of information not just on the Roman army but the impact of the peoples they came into contact with.

It was out of print for a while but I think you can get it again.

In short the Romans were a bunch of military kleptomanics. They copied ideas and technology very heavily from the peoples they came into contact with.

The classic Roman imperial helmet - the "Imperial Gallic" was copied from Celtic designs.

Chain mail (Roman's refered to as Lorica Hamata) was a Celtic invention.

The Roman's copied the Celtiberian short sword (known as the Gladius Hispania).

Connolly's book is excellent in that it shows how the equipment changed over time and you can see in the likeness of, say the helmet types how they influenced Roman designs.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast