Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Oh my! Does bullshido have an equivalent of the hail mary?
    Something like this?

http://blog.spartanrace.com/burpee-e...ing-junk-food/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 5:16pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Wow, it would take him 420 burpees just to work off the drink. Holy ****! 0_o

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, it would take him 420 burpees just to work off the drink. Holy ****! 0_o
    Sort of puts things into prospective

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 8:07pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday at work I felt like something fizzy, so bought myself a diet coke for the afternoon. The girl on the opposite desk looks at me in surprise and asks why I'd choose a diet coke since everyone knows it has way more sugar than regular. I snort and say that of course it doesn't, that's why it's diet coke. She gives me a withering glance and says DUH it's diet coke cos it has less fat than the regular but they have to make up for it with sugar! I explain that there's only a negligible amount of fat in coke and it's practically all sugar, but diet coke is pretty much sugar free. She then tries a different tack and says that actually she meant calories, yeah, diet coke has more calories not sugar, that's it.

I gave her my can and let her compare the nutritional information label to the one on her bottle of regular coke and she was absolutely shocked! This girl, like me, is trying to shed excess weight but is seemingly too lazy to do the little bit of reading that's printed right there on the food to see if it's suitable for her to consume or not.

Has the situation got so bad that old wives tales and made up rubbish are trumping information printed right in front of people? Or is the marketing so good that it doesn't have to? This isn't dieting advice or weight loss fads that you can choose between, these are numerical values that you can directly compare to each other that are sitting in front of our noses. I nearly ended this post with "That people wouldn't bother to do even a little bit of reading before making up their minds about something beggars belief" but then I realised that, actually, it really doesn't.

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Me (at snobby supermarket): What do use the coconut oil for?

Paleo person: To sauté stuff in! And I add it to mah coffee! MCTs man!

Me: (confused)
    IDK about the coconut oil, but "palm sugar" (sugar refined from coconut flowers) is both more nutritous and much better tasting than refined white sugar (IMHO). It even adds a touch of coconut cream flavor to your joe. Smooth and delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Forgive me bullshido for I have sinned. Today while waiting for my tire to be fixed I ate at El Pollo Local and while the meal itself wasn't too bad I drank the 24oz rootbeer that came with the meal. Too add to the sin I am in the middle of trying to make weight to get my commision in the National Guard.
    It's a harder man than I who can resist the sweet siren song of El Pollo Loco.

God help us all...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 2:31am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday at work I felt like something fizzy, so bought myself a diet coke for the afternoon. The girl on the opposite desk looks at me in surprise and asks why I'd choose a diet coke since everyone knows it has way more sugar than regular. I snort and say that of course it doesn't, that's why it's diet coke. She gives me a withering glance and says DUH it's diet coke cos it has less fat than the regular but they have to make up for it with sugar! I explain that there's only a negligible amount of fat in coke and it's practically all sugar, but diet coke is pretty much sugar free. She then tries a different tack and says that actually she meant calories, yeah, diet coke has more calories not sugar, that's it.

I gave her my can and let her compare the nutritional information label to the one on her bottle of regular coke and she was absolutely shocked! This girl, like me, is trying to shed excess weight but is seemingly too lazy to do the little bit of reading that's printed right there on the food to see if it's suitable for her to consume or not.

Has the situation got so bad that old wives tales and made up rubbish are trumping information printed right in front of people? Or is the marketing so good that it doesn't have to? This isn't dieting advice or weight loss fads that you can choose between, these are numerical values that you can directly compare to each other that are sitting in front of our noses. I nearly ended this post with "That people wouldn't bother to do even a little bit of reading before making up their minds about something beggars belief" but then I realised that, actually, it really doesn't.
    I'm not sure how many calories there are in a can of "normal" coke. I'm suspecting a good few hundred. You might want to mention to her that you burn approx. 350 calories on a 5KM run. For every can of coke she drinks she needs to do a 5km run to work off the calories.

I tend to find that focuses peoples attention. Then you can mention about the 1000+ calories in a Big Mac meal and how that is a 10-12km run....

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 4:41am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I'm not sure how many calories there are in a can of "normal" coke. I'm suspecting a good few hundred. You might want to mention to her that you burn approx. 350 calories on a 5KM run. For every can of coke she drinks she needs to do a 5km run to work off the calories.

I tend to find that focuses peoples attention. Then you can mention about the 1000+ calories in a Big Mac meal and how that is a 10-12km run....
    140 Calories in a can of coke, but as it's nearly all from sugar (apart from a tiny amount of oil in the corriander flavouring) that 's the same as just under 9 teaspoons of sugar - enjoy the insulin spike. A lot of dieters don't really know the difference between fat and sugar, so many low fat products are full of sugar and many sugar free products are full of fat. That is probably what has confused Katje's colleague, it's meant to - that's how the diet industry keeps selling the same **** year in year out to the same people who never really get where they want to be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 4:47am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor View Post
    140 Calories in a can of coke, but as it's nearly all from sugar (apart from a tiny amount of oil in the corriander flavouring) that 's the same as just under 9 teaspoons of sugar - enjoy the insulin spike. A lot of dieters don't really know the difference between fat and sugar, so many low fat products are full of sugar and many sugar free products are full of fat. That is probably what has confused Katje's colleague, it's meant to - that's how the diet industry keeps selling the same **** year in year out to the same people who never really get where they want to be.
    Quite agree - another thing that really gets up my nose (I'm talking UK here) is the so called fat free yoghurts that people tend to eat if they think they are dieting, again might be fat free but full of sugar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both good points, especially the one about hidden sugars. I'm trying to cut out sugar & most carbs but I have to read nutritional labels so carefully because there's sugar squirrelled away in stuff you'd never think it has a right to be - like 'diet' food and stuff that's supposedly fresh and additive free.

Another bug bear of mine "oh, diet stuff has so many chemicals in it it's actually healthier to eat the full fat/sugar version" as though they actually know what those chemicals are and that the non-diet versions aren't stuffed with chemicals and preservatives of their own anyway.

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 2:51pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just point out to her its her ignorance about food thats probably made her fat in the first place.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast