Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I just picked up a bag of 30 (small) Avocados for $5.
    I just picked a half a tree of avocados - 65 or so. My cost: sweat, sunburn, and a few beers. There's great satisfaction in growing your own food, though, and avocados - if you have the space and correct climate - are hard not to grow. Other really easy things are basil and just about any sort of hot pepper.
    Last edited by submessenger; 6/17/2013 6:38am at . Reason: my mental math sucks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 6:45am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I still see the America's as a French,English, Spanish and Portuguese colony. We are just letting you rule yourselves for a while.
    Slough of course one of the great colonial powers of the United Kingdom, sallying forth against Maidenhead and West Drayton to subdue their people and pillage the land of it's precious metals and call center infrastructure!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 7:29am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Slough of course one of the great colonial powers of the United Kingdom, sallying forth against Maidenhead and West Drayton to subdue their people and pillage the land of it's precious metals and call center infrastructure!
    We have even been know to pillage Eton and Windsor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 7:51am

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    We have even been know to pillage Eton and Windsor.
    Stockpiling horses for an attack on the capital are you?

On topic: I'm quite partial to growing capsicum/bell peppers in warmer climes, you don't get stacks of fruit but they're tasty and great in cooking.
    Last edited by Katje; 6/17/2013 7:56am at . Reason: My grammer is t3h suck

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny thing is when I first visited the States as a 15-yrs old fresh after the so called fall of communism, I was overwhelmed by the amount and wide range of healthy foods available.

The choice INSIDE the shop was much easier to make.

Of course, true healthy eating means using the best fresh ingredients and eat them raw or prepare them fresh. Ideally, grow them yourself.

But in the shops and malls I always thought you guys overseas had more choices - which choice most of the population makes is another topic.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 8:48am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Funny thing is when I first visited the States as a 15-yrs old fresh after the so called fall of communism, I was overwhelmed by the amount and wide range of healthy foods available.

The choice INSIDE the shop was much easier to make.

Of course, true healthy eating means using the best fresh ingredients and eat them raw or prepare them fresh. Ideally, grow them yourself.

But in the shops and malls I always thought you guys overseas had more choices - which choice most of the population makes is another topic.
    living in the US now (21 years in Nederland, and again the other whole year) I see a big difference. Although walmart here has the vegetables at the front of one of its two doors, it is after a huge soda can display (as in, 20 meters worth of 24 can pack walls. Like, literally, they build walls with the brick style packages.).

In addition, all the healthy food has 0 to no marketing, but all the other food is 2 FOR 1!!! and in huge, huge letters. The organic/healthy/self prep food is surrounding the unhealthy food, which is more tightly packed together (less travel time between them, and everyone wants to get out of walmart ASAP) , and more colorful and advertised. By that I mean, that if you want to get the non-processed stuff, you can get some, but if you want the rest of the essentials you will have to travel through processed advertising land. Its hard to resist when most people have 0 idea what good food is. I had a couple in kroger the other day, early twenties or so and obese. They were convinced they needed sugars to lose weight, buying marshmellows etc. (I had to step in, overhearing their argument made me cringe (No, you don't need sugars. Get some vegetables and chicken breast.).

Water is 1.29 for a 12 oz bottle. Coke is $1 for a 16 or 20oz, depending on the competition with pepsi. Oftentimes it is 2 cokes for 1.50 or something. Water never gets a deal.

Candybars too; everywhere 2 for 2, advertisement out the wazoo and plenty wide aisles. The organic food has no such thing since it relies on its quality to sell itself.

Kroger is pretty much the same as wal-mart, and I don't even think the target here has food other than processed. (but they clearly aren't a food market first.)

And that's even if you want to buy food. Before you can get to any such place, you will have to pass by 20 fast food restaurants with again, huge signs advertising how cheap and tasty (and quick) they are.

The whole industry here is banana's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 9:02am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Stockpiling horses for an attack on the capital are you?

On topic: I'm quite partial to growing capsicum/bell peppers in warmer climes, you don't get stacks of fruit but they're tasty and great in cooking.
    Horses! We make them into kebabs to serve out of vans. Our chariots will be Nissan Micras and old 3 series BMW's with fart cans out the back. (of course non will be road worthy but that's not the point).

Soon London will be awash with Slough chavs modelling clothes from Sports Direct and stealing anything that isn't nailed down.

I must shut up now or I will give away our master plan.

On topic - courgettes (zucchini in the US are easy to grow and you gets masses of fruits off them)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 9:27am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Because the crap toaster will stop working in a year? Oh well. $10 for a new one. Repeat this a few times and you've actually saved money buying the nicer toaster.
    Lies. My toaster has worked fine for years.

Plus the nice toaster will double as a bludgeon in a pinch without loss of toaster functionality.
    You've got me there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the issue is that people want food as cheaply as possible. The result of having cheaper and cheaper food is that the quality drops and has to be offset by heavy processing.

Supermarkets (such as Walmart) are catering for customers who want their food to be as cheap as possible (and often sod the quality).

I think if you couple with this the number of people becoming increasingly lazy about preparing food and it is a recipe for obesity.

I think the US is worse than say Europe, but they are also perhaps ahead of the curve. In the UK more and more people are cooking ready meals rather than doing something from scratch.

I've heard a number of people claim that it is due to our busy life styles but my personal view is that this argument is rubbish. I work 50 hours per week, spend 2 hours per day commuting but still manage to cook healthy food when I get in for myself and my family.

People by nature go for the easy option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 10:16am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I went to Japan I was shocked at how fresh all the food was, and how delicious gas station food could be.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast