Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

King of the kill

A new report released states that cancer will become the number one killer in the U.S. Now since we all like to place blame on stuff like this I say it's because of pollution in the water. All that crap we keep dumping everywhere is finally catching up to us.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/health...e-asco-report/

Take note because cancer doesn't care how "fit" you are.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    A new report released states that cancer will become the number one killer in the U.S. Now since we all like to place blame on stuff like this I say it's because of pollution in the water. All that crap we keep dumping everywhere is finally catching up to us.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/health...e-asco-report/

Take note because cancer doesn't care how "fit" you are.
    That's just it, we dump crap everywhere. Can't really say whether its chemicals and discarded medicines in the water, the air pollution, pesticides and hormones in our food, petrochemicals in pharmacy products, vapors coming off synthetic rugs and furniture fabrics, or all of those together and more. The fact that we're stressed out trying to stay connected to everything and everybody, worrying about the economy and our jobs, doesn't help our immune systems either. Exercise may help the immune system, but I doubt its enough to outweigh all that.
    “A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools.” ― Thucydides

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 12:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...

Ermagerd! Toxins! Chemicals!

(Average life expectancy at birth in 1955 was 48. 1955 motherfuckers...)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    LOL...

Precisely. When you don't die of anything else, you die of cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 12:58pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...

The fact that life expectancy might have increased as a result of advances in medicine and public health doesn't mean we can't minimize exposure to carcinogens. I have a longer life expectancy than 60 years ago, but that doesnt mean I should put up with people blowing smoke in my face, or soaking my food in pesticides to increase their profit margins.
    “A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools.” ― Thucydides

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 1:00pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    The fact that life expectancy might have increased as a result of advances in medicine and public health doesn't mean we can't minimize exposure to carcinogens. I have a longer life expectancy than 60 years ago, but that doesnt mean I should put up with people blowing smoke in my face, or soaking my food in pesticides to increase their profit margins.

Hahahaha...
    I'll just leave that there for you to read a few more times.
    Damn dude...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 1:02pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Precisely. When you don't die of anything else, you die of cancer.
    I don't know, I'm hoping to die of old age. I don't find death per se particularly frightening, but a painful death from preventable causes is something I'd like to avoid.

Hahahaha...
    I'll just leave that there for you to read a few more times.
    Damn dude...
    You're gonna have to be a little more explicit (Yes, I'm asking for it).

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 1:13pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, you have an inverse correlation between

"chemicals and discarded medicines in the water, the air pollution, pesticides and hormones in our food, petrochemicals in pharmacy products, vapors coming off synthetic rugs and furniture fabrics, or all of those together and more. "

and life expectancy.
    So your fears seem unwarranted in light of the impressive advances made possible by many those same products.
    Note "medicines" and "pharmacy products" in the above.

Second, "carcinogens" is you moving the goalposts. That's the first mention of those you've made.
    No one mentioned smoking either, second hand or otherwise.

Third, "soaking in pesticides"? Really?

Those are just the most blatant ones.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 1:53pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, you have an inverse correlation between

"chemicals and discarded medicines in the water, the air pollution, pesticides and hormones in our food, petrochemicals in pharmacy products, vapors coming off synthetic rugs and furniture fabrics, or all of those together and more. "

and life expectancy.
    So your fears seem unwarranted in light of the impressive advances made possible by many those same products.
    Note "medicines" and "pharmacy products" in the above.

Second, "carcinogens" is you moving the goalposts. That's the first mention of those you've made.
    No one mentioned smoking either, second hand or otherwise.

Third, "soaking in pesticides"? Really?

Those are just the most blatant ones.
    To some extent you're right. Living with the benefit of modern products requires that we accept the waste materials created and the dangers that result to some extent. But its not an "either or" situation. I like to drive my personal gas powered vehicle, but that doesnt make pipeline leaks or oil spills inevitable or acceptable, and asking the oil companies to be more careful should'nt mean I have to give up my car.

"Carcinogens" is not moving the goalposts -- read the OP and my first post.

The OP didnt mention smoking, I did. I don't think its inconsistent with my overall theme here -- that for other people to enjoy the benefits of modern life I shouldn't have to accept ALL of the negative consequences, and can't expect some effort to moderate or curtail the negative results.

Ok -- "soaking in pesticides" may be an overly graphic description, but you don't have to look long or far on the Net to get stats on the extent and results of pesticide use -- the substances that we deliberately release into the environment for the specific purpose of killing things.

I'm no Luddite. But I'm not going to buy into the argument that because some degree of pollution is the inevitable result of scientific progress, the more pollution, the better we are progressing. We can reduce pollution without going back to the stone age.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 3/11/2014 2:03pm at .

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 2:08pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    To some extent you're right.
    Hahaha, stfu.

Living with the benefit of modern products requires that we accept the waste materials created and the dangers that result. But its not an "either or" situation. I like to drive my personal gas powered vehicle, but that doesnt make pipeline leaks or oil spills inevitable or acceptable, and asking the oil companies to be more careful should'nt mean I have to give up my car.
    That's all on you. I never entertained any of that ****.
    I'm just mocking your post.

"Carcinogens" is not moving the goalposts -- read the OP and my first post.
    I quoted you, FFS.

The OP didnt mention smoking, I did.
    After i mocked you, and that has nothing to do with what i pointed out.

I don't think its inconsistent with my overall theme here -- that for other people to enjoy the benefits of modern life I have to accept ALL of the negative consequences, and can't expect some effort to moderate or curtail the negative results.

Oh, more tangents?

Hahahaha...

Ok -- "soaking in pesticides" may be an overly graphic description, but you don't have to look long or far on the Net to get stats on the extent and results of pesticide use -- the substances that we deliberately release into the environment for the specific purpose of killing things.

"Life expectancy" remember?
    Pesticides are good things when used properly, and increase life expectancy.
    You do realize DDT is being reconsidered and the ban by the WHO has been lifted, because the ban cost millions of human lives, right?
    http://ruby.fgcu.edu/courses/Twimber...9/DDTPaper.pdf

If you want to go off with hyperbole and unsupported conjecture be my guest.
    More grist for the mill!
    You're being foolish.

I'm no Luddite. But I'm not going to buy into the argument that because some degree of pollution is the inevitable result of scientific progress, the more pollution, the better we are progressing. We can reduce pollution without going back to the stone age.

Well at least you finally spelled out your strawman.
    LOL
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast