Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is your favorite team racist??

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

“We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,” Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. “The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.”

I wonder if this will cause a snowball effect and we could see multiple teams with name changes. Also what team names are allowed?? What about terms like "the fighting Irish" or what about pirates?? Could real pirates get mad about a team not accurately representing them?? Although I will say that using the term "redskins" is pretty fucking racist.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I wonder if this will cause a snowball effect and we could see multiple teams with name changes. Also what team names are allowed?? What about terms like "the fighting Irish" or what about pirates?? Could real pirates get mad about a team not accurately representing them?? Although I will say that using the term "redskins" is pretty fucking racist.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-chinamen-cap/

this had the opposite effect in that every ny jew and chinese person from SF who i know actually wanted one of these hats.

to be serious for a moment (well i would seriously rock that ny jews hat, but i digress) this has been long overdue.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 2:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I can now legally sell Red Skins stuff without violating copy right law?
    Awesome!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 3:01pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    So I can now legally sell Red Skins stuff without violating copy right law?
    Awesome!
    Not yet. The trademark is still in effect as the whole things goes through the inevitably decades-long appeals process.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 5:34pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically it's going to be easier and cheaper to buy Redskins swag? Big win! I imagine with NFL profit sharing laws the team will be pressured to register a new name in the next few years

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 10:34pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    o be serious for a moment (well i would seriously rock that ny jews hat, but i digress) this has been long overdue.
    Signed. If "skins" were preceded by any other color, the name would have been dumped decades ago.

Posted On:
    6/19/2014 1:57am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The all blacks?

And then I did a hunt around. There is a few.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...genous_peoples
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 6/19/2014 2:02am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    6/19/2014 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sure hope they are.

Where's Vieux Normand at? I know he's with me on this!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2014 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/20/2014 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlefinger View Post
    it just doesn't work as well if you're the group that has been oppressing everyone else.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast