Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 5:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Because you didn't, idiot.

There is nothing in Xingyi that compares to the expertise and specialization of stick and knife fighting in Kali. That's like saying because the bunkai for Naihanchi has joint locks, it teaches grappling like BJJ.
    Did I claim otherwise? You might be misunderstanding something. Of course there is "nothing in Xingyi that compares to the expertise and specialization of stick and knife fighting in Kali".

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KendalGuro View Post
    If after 10 years you cant use a long pole with a knife strapped to the end, perhaps you should ask you instructor for your money back.
    He said NeilG could kick his ass with one. He's probably right. At least he's being honest.

You seem to think someone who's specifically trained bladed staff weapons for years has the same skill with the weapon as someone who trains with Kali sticks.

Not very honest.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people see all kali fighting as sinawali with different things in the hand. This isn't true with the staff, or if it is then its something that must be developed on its own.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    However people (at least intelligent people) don't study traditional weapons systems to be able to use them in a modern combat environment.
    The Phillipine Marines disagree with this assessment. The ginunting is an integral part of their training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 7:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps you cock boys should stop getting worked up over semantics
    Perhaps you should learn the difference between semantics and a logical fallacy dipshit.

I'm not discussing the meanings of any words you have used. I'm talking about you taking a simple fucking question, building repeated logical fallacy laced posts and littering it with passive aggressive taunts because your ass is chapped from all of that nutriding.

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anybody mentioned dueling?

That is something I've noticed about FMA. There tends to be a strong connection to dueling culture.

While "deathmatches" may be a thing of the past for most practitioners, the tradition of matched competition with agreed upon weapons and levels of violence still exsists to this very day in many schools.

While FMA is not alone by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to alive pressure testing, it is one of the few arts out there where you can still receive formal instruction in the proper way to organize and initiate a full on death match.

I wouldn't say that's "better or worse" than any other art but it certainly stands in contrast to the gentler nature of many TMA schools.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 7:55pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First let me start by saying that I would agree that I have done a piss poor job of presenting my opinion here on this topic.
    When I say MAs I am referring to the arts of the teachers and students that I have had the honor of meeting with, training with, or reading about, and thus is far from inclusive.
    Now, my point is that in the FMAs the movements taught with a stick can be applied to any weapon. For example, there is a very common and old sinawali in the FMAs called by many names, I will use single sinawali. It is normally the first double stick sinawali taught. There are subtle differences among different styles but the gross movement is the same. A high right forehand downward strike followed by a low backhand outward strike, then repeat with the left hand. We teach this with two sticks, and with empty hands same pattern same footwork. I can hand a bo staff to a mid-level student (say level 3 or 4 out of 10), a weapon that at that point in their training they have had no exposure to, and ask them to do single sinawali with a bo vs. a person with two sticks. With their basic understanding of the two stick sinawali they can quickly adapt and perform the drill with the bo. Same pattern, same footwork. I hand them a naginata (the kendo group at my old dojo had a nice padded one similar to this http://www.battlemasters.net/battleg...dnaginata.html), they should be able to affectively use the weapon, same pattern, same footwork. Two things change, the business part of the weapon/how it inflicts damage, and the range of the encounter. Range is a fairly consistent concept in all martial arts, grappling range, striking range, kicking range and weapon range (and its variations). I do not know if all styles of FMA train this manner, but I know they could do it. This is one drill, I can point to many more but they all have the same basic principal. Utilizing the same thing taught with a 24" stick a practitioner can be fairly proficient with any weapon large or small. In other words we train the indian not just the arrow.
    I do not claim that this concept is original to the FMAs, but it is what we do.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 7:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First let me start by saying that I would agree that I have done a piss poor job of presenting my opinion here on this topic.
    When I say MAs I am referring to the arts of the teachers and students that I have had the honor of meeting with, training with, or reading about, and thus is far from inclusive.
    Now, my point is that in the FMAs the movements taught with a stick can be applied to any weapon. For example, there is a very common and old sinawali in the FMAs called by many names, I will use single sinawali. It is normally the first double stick sinawali taught. There are subtle differences among different styles but the gross movement is the same. A high right forehand downward strike followed by a low backhand outward strike, then repeat with the left hand. We teach this with two sticks, and with empty hands same pattern same footwork. I can hand a bo staff to a mid-level student (say level 3 or 4 out of 10), a weapon that at that point in their training they have had no exposure to, and ask them to do single sinawali with a bo vs. a person with two sticks. With their basic understanding of the two stick sinawali they can quickly adapt and perform the drill with the bo. Same pattern, same footwork. I hand them a naginata (the kendo group at my old dojo had a nice padded one similar to this http://www.battlemasters.net/battleg...dnaginata.html), they should be able to affectively use the weapon, same pattern, same footwork. Two things change, the business part of the weapon/how it inflicts damage, and the range of the encounter. Range is a fairly consistent concept in all martial arts, grappling range, striking range, kicking range and weapon range (and its variations). I do not know if all styles of FMA train this manner, but I know they could do it. This is one drill, I can point to many more but they all have the same basic principal. Utilizing the same thing taught with a 24" stick a practitioner can be fairly proficient with any weapon large or small. In other words we train the indian not just the arrow.
    I do not claim that this concept is original to the FMAs, but it is what we do.
    That's not fighting technique...that's being able to move the weapon with coordination. You still have no clue how to fight with a naginata.

Even your sinawali that you're describing isn't a fighting technique. It's called Heaven & Earth 6. Movement is not technique.

Sinawali isn't a drill.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 7:20am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right capoeira. Two man resisted training.

Actually I wil go maculele the weapons form
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 8:20am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Some people see all kali fighting as sinawali with different things in the hand. This isn't true with the staff, or if it is then its something that must be developed on its own.
    Oh, don't get me started on FMA and the staff. For a weapons-based art, arnisadors are surprisingly useless with the staff.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast