Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 11:02am

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I expect FMA battlefield arts died at the muzzle end of a large number of Krag Jorgensen rifles. After the American conquest, the people who had such knowledge to pass on were probably already dead.

I've read that in WWII the Filipinos used bolo battalions against the Japanese Imperial army. I'm pretty sure quite a few modern lineages claim to have members that fought in and died WWII (So I suppose this goes right along with what Chilli Pepper said). Leo Giron for example was said to have been a point man in a bolo battalion. If there's one thing that separates FMA from other classical systems perhaps it's that FMA has been used more recently on the battle field than others.

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 11:50am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Leo Giron for example was said to have been a point man in a bolo battalion.
    I have been taught one bolo technique, for the point man (not by Leo Giron - don't know what the providence of it is) which involved striking with the blade and a takedown, and moving on to the next guy so that your buddies following behind you can finish him off.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 12:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I expect FMA battlefield arts died at the muzzle end of a large number of Krag Jorgensen rifles. After the American conquest, the people who had such knowledge to pass on were probably already dead.
    I see what you mean. I was tryng to contrast between the obvious and known ties of the modern japanese budo to the older historically known battlefield arts of Japan. I know nothing of filipino history other than they were "conquered" by spain then taken over by the US after the Spanish American War (if that is even correct).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 1:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Also, in my experience at least, most FMA groups don't have enough people to simulate a battlefield anyway.
    There is that...I was writing more in terms of the known links in modern budo like Kendo and Naginata-do to older known battelfield weapons school (koryu bujutsu/sogo bujutsu) in general.

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 1:04pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    The development of the Colt Model 1911 .45 was heavily influenced by field experiences against the native Filipinos. They needed 1 shot stops from a pistol to counter close range blade attacks where the rifle was to unwieldy.
    The problem the US troops had was that the .38 caliber round they were shooting was too weak. They already had the .45 colt in single action revolvers, which they started using to good effect. Which led to the development of the .45 acp, more or less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 2:14am

Style: naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Cut-like strikes with the butt have never been allowed in competition as oak vs people tends to go badly.
    That's not actually true. Swinging strikes with the e bu are allowed to the sune only. It's usually done as hiki waza from seri-ai, or to set up a followup strike somewhere else. It's hard to score with.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011