Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Deep Half Guard

putting a question out there for you guys about the Deep Half Guard.

I dont tend to play a Deep Half Guard game, however if someone sits on my De La Riva or is well into passing my guard - i will suck under and start to play DHG.

Do any of you guys specifically put yourself in the DHG and play from there, or like me - is it a position you run when your opponent puts you where you feel you should scoot into a DHG?

thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2012 11:58pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seek it, but don't force it. Though less frequently than x /RDLH. But that is because I face more people who try standing passes than kneeling passes. I believe it is valuable. It doesnt have to be your go-to guard, just fill a few holes.

It gives you a good compliment to a arm drag/butterfly sweep game against kneeling/combat base opponents.

There are good mount and back mount escapes that involve going to DHG as well

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you feel is your best finish/escape from DHG?

I experimented with it for a while but couldn't find regular success with any particular escape. And I found I got punched in the face a lot for my troubles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 7:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I onlywoken the basics. I usually end up inserting my far hand so I have both arms inbetween their legs and bump up into my opponent, landing in their guard. This movement is facilitated by my opponent shifting their weight backwards to avoid me coming out the back door.

I would recommend practicing new grappling movements without strikes until you feel at least a little confident with them. Then progressively add pressure.

For further information both Ryan hall and Jeff glover have excellent instructionals out that make for great resources as well.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with the Jeff Glover tutorial. Pretty good video. I think I need to revisit deep half with some white belts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good. You just have to take it Incrimentally. I started with just entries, and didn't care if I would sweep. I just found it hard as hell to get under people.

And it doesnt have to be the number one on your priority list. I never Played deep half untill I got my brown belt. And it wasn't out of need... It was out of desire. I simply wanted to know for the sake of knowing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2012 7:10pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a DHG man but if you want to play it with strikes you'd better be hella active so you always keep the top guy unbalanced or really good at reclaiming full guard if you fail at sweeping. Preferably both.

Without strikes one can usually unnerve the top guy by playing with his balance making him over-commit to one side and then boom you go the other way. That's a much more patient way of playing which does not translate well to MMA at all.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find DHG fairly limited, just MHO.

Like turtle, it is more of a transitional position than anything else. I play a heavy butterfly/X-guard game, so it is a natural progression for me... And although I have a LOT of luck with DHG, it doesn't seem to lend itself to anything spectacular, in my experience. I usually end up in half guard with my opponent's leg over my shoulder, blocking my full pass, or in a potential back-take opportunity where they usually roll back into open guard. I would rather look for X variations that leave me in a better finishing position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 7:48am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    In my experience. I usually end up in......... a potential back-take opportunity where they usually roll back into open guard.
    I find this happens a lot with me, are there any realistic back take options from here that your opponent can't roll back into open guard from?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all about control, and I'm not familiar enough with the position to know exactly what to do...

I imagine a belt grip, or immediately establishing the seatbelt, would work.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast