Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Old School DM

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knife Fighting by Michael Janich - Knife Bullshido?

So a year or so ago I took a few classes from a local Arnis instructor. Although I ended up not continuing with the school due to illness, I was taken with the knife work and ended up picking up a used copy of the book Knife Fighting by Michael D. Janich. I found the book yesterday when cleaning up and decided to post here to discuss.

Even as a reasonably inexperienced person, reading the book left me with mixed emotions. Some of the basic info seems solid. The usual disclaimers about not fighting with knives if you can help it etc, decent guidance on grips etc. Yet there is something about the book that doesn't ring true.

Perhaps its Janich's pudgy appearance (or his tendency to describe himself as "our hero" in photos showing techniques), or perhaps its the occasional gem like recommending an eye gouge after checking the opponents' knife hand. There seems to be a whiff of BS in there somewhere.

So I google-fu-ed Mr. Janich and found his website here:
    http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com

The obligatory bio seems a little vague:

Michael Janich has been studying and teaching self-defense and the martial arts for more than 25 years. He has earned instructor’s credentials in American Self-Protection (ASP – an eclectic art that includes elements of judo, aikido, boxing, fencing and French Savate), the Filipino art of Serrada Eskrima, Joseph Simonet's Silat Concepts and Datu Kelly S. Worden’s Natural Spirit and is a member of the elite International Close-Combat Instructors’ Association. He has also trained extensively in wing chun gung fu, tae kwon do, wu ying tao, Thai boxing, arnis de mano and U.S. Special Forces combatives.
    He also served as an Investigation Team Leader for the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC) and Joint Task Force-Full Accounting (JTF-FA) and has led numerous investigations into remote areas of Vietnam and Laos in search of information regarding American prisoners of war and missing in action (POW/MIA).
    So now, I'm beginning to think that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. I also discovered this old thread on rec.martial.arts:

rec.martial.arts

In this thread, "Chas" appears to be accusing Paladin Press and Janich of essentially misrepresenting themselves (an possibly outright theft). This is only one of many such posts involving Chas Clements, Steve Gartin, and Janich and I do not claim to know the truth, but there is obviously bad blood between Janich and Chas/Gartin. Basic research suggests that Gartin/Clements are the real deal (http://www.willemdethouars.com/teachers.html) but what about Mr. Janich?

Soooooo, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Mr. Janich and whether he is just another RBSD gun (knife) bunny. I'm more inclined to side with people who apparently have the r34l knife work from de thouars than someone who has "instructors credentials" from "American Self Protection" but in the spirit of Bullshido I am keeping an open mind for you more experienced folks to fill in.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 3:35pm

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now why does that photo theme strike me as familiar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 4:08pm

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If buying books and videos from Paladin Press could make you dangerous lots of guys would be tactical nuclear weapons :laughing8

Michael Janich has been given a lot of paper over the years. Some may be legitimate. Some may be from guys who hope to have him sell their books and videos. Hard to say which is which. Some of it stinks. Joe Simonet's Silat Concepts? A board-certified, 24 karat, brass-plated steaming pile of crap. Joe has little and turned watching a tape of Victor de Thouars' Serak jurus into a series of lousy tapes that get pretty much everything wrong and manage to insult everyone who's actually put in some time. Kelly Worden? It's been a long time since I had anything to do with him. The "eclectic" martial arts? Just at a guess I'd be willing to bet that he can't hold his own in, say Judo with a judoka or Savate with a silver glove competitor. One thing he undoubtedly has is control of one of the premier publishing houses in the field. The TMA? TMA have their problems, but it says something about a person if he puts in the grunt and completes something difficult like a martial arts program and something else if he does a little of this a little of that but never all of anything.

Steve Gartin is, hmm, an odd and troubled individual. But he's very good with the knife and has put in the time. Chas Clements, in addition to being a fine leatherworker and a real gentleman, is a long-time fighter, highly skilled martial artist, former Marine Long Range Recon, and survivor of a life that really shouldn't have let him live as long as he has. I don't always agree with him, but I respect his opinion based on his skill and the amount of it he has made work when big, strong angry people were trying to **** him up. And yes, Chas was overweight until pretty recently and hasn't had good knees since both of them got shot out in Vietnam. The fact that he's prevailed in spite of that makes him more credible, not less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 4:42pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    Now why does that photo theme strike me as familiar?

Damn! You beat me to the punch!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 4:52pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um... "knife fighting" ideologies aside... if that's what he regards as a functional fighting posture, then said picture should immediately be nominated for inclusion under "disaster" ... which is what's going to happen to him as soon as he pulls the trigger in that position....

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Janich is god in the knife/RBSD world. Some of the articles of his I've read are crap. The big question is always, does he test what he preaches? As in, gear up and bang? I doubt it...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 5:17pm

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary
    Damn! You beat me to the punch!

I beat you to the stab..:tongue5:

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 5:33pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anyhting about the guy, but just because his face looks like a dweeb, doesn't mean he can fight, necessarily. ****, look at Audie Murphy, the WW2 hero- he had more balls then this whole forum, and he looked like a baby faced peacenik. All he did was kick ass in the war, and so, some times, looks can be decieving.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 10:45pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My $.02 ain't about the expression or the dweeby looks. Seen too many dweeby-looking guys who could kick ass. Hell, half of socom nowadays seem to look like grad students who work out.

It's what he's holding about eight inches from his ear that gives me a "whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over..." moment.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happycrow
    It's what he's holding about eight inches from his ear that gives me a "whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over..." moment.
    foxtrot uniform charlie kilo

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast