Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A new threat to our kids

Forget bullies, strangers, and school shootings, our kids now face a much greater threat, and it's angry Legos. That's right you heard me angry Lego faces will steal their souls. But hey don't take my word for it : http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/12/news...ces/index.html

LONDON (CNNMoney)
    Forget about those happy LEGO characters from your childhood.
    Today's LEGO characters are looking increasingly angry and carrying more weapons, indicating an important shift in the way kids play and interact with toys.

New research by robot expert Christoph Bartneck at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand shows the number of happy faces on tiny LEGO figures is decreasing.
    "We cannot help but wonder how the move from only positive faces to an increasing number of negative faces impacts on how children play," he said in a statement.
    LEGO Group is the world's third largest toy manufacturer by revenue, after Mattel (MAT, Fortune 500) and Hasbro (HAS). The Denmark-based firm is still owned by the Kirk Kristiansen family that founded it in 1932. Last year, global sales increased by 25% to 23.4 billion Danish kroner ($4.2 billion).
    According to its website, children around the world spend five billion hours each year playing with LEGO bricks.
    Related: Barbie and Nerf redefine 'girl' toys
    Bartneck worries that LEGO -- an abbreviation of two Danish words meaning "play well" -- is increasingly featuring a vast array of weapons as the company moves towards more conflict-based themes, he said.
    This could undermine LEGO's happy-go-lucky reputation as children grow up thinking of LEGO toys as laden with anger and fear.
    "Designers of toy faces should take great care to design the expressions and to test their effect since toys play an important role in the development of children," the university said.

How toy makers embrace the iPad
    Bartneck noted that other companies such as Toronto-listed MEGA Brands are also incorporating conflict-based themes.
    "Their HALO line of products, which is directly related to the popular computer game of the same name, is clearly embedded in a military culture. Other companies, such as BrickArms, are also already offering LEGO compatible weapons for mini-figures."
    Bartneck studied 6,000 LEGO mini-figures in the process of writing his research paper, which he will present at a conference in Japan in August.
    LEGO representatives were not immediately available for comment.

First Published: June 12, 2013: 7:59 AM ET
    - See more at: http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/12/news....XTSFBWXR.dpuf

Who the **** other than the grinch would try to take the fun out of toys?? It's not like kids haven't been playing violently for like 10,000 fucking years already. Jesus that fucker actually spent the time to count lego faces what a douchebag. I just don't understand this type of fucking retardation over toy faces.
    Attached Images  

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I was a kid, we had smiling Legos and armed-to-the-teeth Ninja Turtles and Gi Joes and realistic toy guns and Spawn action figures. We'd smash smiling lego vehicles into each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego started adding faces besides a vacant smile based on focus groups of Lego-aged boys.

The real problem with Lego is their overlapping tie ins and video games and videos I see when I pass the toy section of a store. Why the hell are there video games of Lego Star Wars? You could've made a regular Star Wars game that wasn't terrible looking, and if you think its too violent for young kids, maybe you should consider something without the word "wars" in the title. Lego Marvel Superheroes? Marvel is perfectly good at rendering non-polygonal superhero drama. Lego Ninja Turtles? Lego Lord of the Rings? What the hell, Lego? People liked your blocky smiling idiots because you could use your imagination, and now you're sitting them down in front of a monitor to watch someone else's imagination, and they can't even think of an original premise! This ****'s teaching our kids remedial imagination, and now there's people complaining that they should only have one happy expression, because in the land of imagination who could imagine a second emotion?
    Last edited by Permalost; 6/13/2013 10:37am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 10:41am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Lego dudes may all have been smiling but that sure as hell doesn't mean they weren't heavily armed.

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 11:38am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Back when I was a kid, we had smiling Legos and armed-to-the-teeth Ninja Turtles and Gi Joes and realistic toy guns and Spawn action figures. We'd smash smiling lego vehicles into each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego started adding faces besides a vacant smile based on focus groups of Lego-aged boys.

The real problem with Lego is their overlapping tie ins and video games and videos I see when I pass the toy section of a store. Why the hell are there video games of Lego Star Wars? You could've made a regular Star Wars game that wasn't terrible looking, and if you think its too violent for young kids, maybe you should consider something without the word "wars" in the title. Lego Marvel Superheroes? Marvel is perfectly good at rendering non-polygonal superhero drama. Lego Ninja Turtles? Lego Lord of the Rings? What the hell, Lego? People liked your blocky smiling idiots because you could use your imagination, and now you're sitting them down in front of a monitor to watch someone else's imagination, and they can't even think of an original premise! This ****'s teaching our kids remedial imagination, and now there's people complaining that they should only have one happy expression, because in the land of imagination who could imagine a second emotion?
    I totally agree on the games, they just teach the kids that playing the game is far easier than building the kit. I will say though that I actually like the theme tie-ins. The Lord of The Rings kits are pretty damn cool. Especially this one : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10237-LEGO-Lord-of-the-Rings-Tower-of-Orthanc.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	15030

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 11:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's always weird hearing people bitch about not parenting their kids. The video games don't teach kids ****, it is the lazy parents fault.

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It's always weird hearing people bitch about not parenting their kids. The video games don't teach kids ****, it is the lazy parents fault.
    I can agree with the fact that parents should put a lot more effort into raising their kids, but I will have to disagree with saying that video games play no part in the equation.

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 5:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I can agree with the fact that parents should put a lot more effort into raising their kids, but I will have to disagree with saying that video games play no part in the equation.
    Well who's buying them the video games?

How many grade school kids do you know holding down jobs so they can buy a $400 game stystem plus multiple $60 games?

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 7:50pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    My Lego dudes may all have been smiling but that sure as hell doesn't mean they weren't heavily armed.
    Anytime I'm heavily armed, I'm smiling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 7:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Really, so the video games actively turn on the TV, jump into the system, float the controller into your kid's hands and you just sit there mesmerized?

Like i said,it will always be weird. I do not blame TV, video games, comics, news or any of that **** for my kid's behavior. Now, I know you will be an ass. Yes, they can play a part IF YOU LET THEM PLAY THE GAMES. Again, it is lazy parenting to blame anything, that you can control, for your kids behavior or what they are taught.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LEGO Star Wars is fucking awesome.

But I cannot help but wonder what Greedo's LEGO face is teaching the children!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast