Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 2:58pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stun Gun users- Any experiences from non LEO's

Anyone have to use a stun gun? Citizens only, as I figure it is a different decision for a cop-

And it said post an image, so I went with a classic-

"Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my training partners got a flashlight with a stun gun built in, and our LEO training partner went around and got everyone with it by the end of the night. It wasn't something that instantly incapacitated me and wasn't even super painful. It just made my body try to spaz away from it with spinal reflexes. I think the most useful part of a stun gun is that dry firing it scares the hell out of people.

The stun gun instructional manuals show that the best place to blast someone is their trapezius area, and that it can take like 7 seconds to incapacitate. 7 seconds is a long time to hold something against a wildly flailing person. Particularly if you're in front of them pressing their trapezius. To me, it seems that the best way to achieve such a long period would be to get a bodylock (front or rear) and hold the trigger as you shock the torso.
    Last edited by Permalost; 6/25/2013 4:39pm at .

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 4:58pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Civilian stun guns are simple pain compliance tools. Most are not going to mean crap to a dedicated attacker...a Taser is a different animal altogether.

I cant stand it when movies/media show people being knocked out by tasers /stun guns.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 5:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Civilian stun guns are simple pain compliance tools. Most are not going to mean crap to a dedicated attacker...a Taser is a different animal altogether.

I cant stand it when movies/media show people being knocked out by tasers /stun guns.
    Excellent to know. So I need a taser, not stun gun. still curious to hear from average citizens that have had to use either on an attacker. I know it is rare, but I am still curious.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj View Post
    So I need a taser, not stun gun.
    To clarify since some people don't know the difference: a stun gun is a battery with a switch and 2 contacts that are pressed against a body to deliver current. A taser fires 2 gas propelled barbed darts into the skin with wires connecting to the weapon to deliver current. So, one can be further away with the taser and flailing won't generally free you from the current (but barbs have been known to miss or not get caught in the skin).

Stun guns are available in many forms to civilians. Taser has versions they sell to civilians but there's other ones that only LEOs can get. The LEO ones can shoot further and have a data port (they keep a digital log of when they're discharged).

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 6:33pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You also wont get the "lock up and fall over" effect with a stun-gun (or even a Taser in drive stun mode)....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 9:31pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post

This.

I've been stun gunned REPEATEDLY in training. It hurts a bit. That's it. There's no 'stun' happening at all.

It does leave some welts if you get hit with it long enough - last time we used one in training it was to simulate a knife attack and I kept doing additional reps to get what we were learning down - by the end of the session my right side was covered in welts from the middle of my rib cage to my waist (sadly the pictures were on my old phone). It gave me something to show off to friends later in the day but if you tried to use it to stop someone who wanted to fight you you're just going to piss them off.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    One of my training partners got a flashlight with a stun gun built in, and our LEO training partner went around and got everyone with it by the end of the night. It wasn't something that instantly incapacitated me and wasn't even super painful. It just made my body try to spaz away from it with spinal reflexes. I think the most useful part of a stun gun is that dry firing it scares the hell out of people.
    I've got one of those. It's lots of fun, especially at parties. I've been tased so many times I can't even begin to try to add them up. Everything from stun guns, tasers, even a stun belt.

I was also the guy who held the stun shield on the Cell extraction team, which means first one in the cell. I did that forever. Lots of fun.

And to the OP, cops are citizens too. ;)
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 10:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would rather get stunned than pepper sprayed any day.

Posted On:
    6/26/2013 10:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've got one of those. It's lots of fun, especially at parties. I've been tased so many times I can't even begin to try to add them up. Everything from stun guns, tasers, even a stun belt.

I was also the guy who held the stun shield on the Cell extraction team, which means first one in the cell. I did that forever. Lots of fun.

And to the OP, cops are citizens too. ;)
    Cop's have to face situations like this all the time, where they have to and do make split second decisions, and most times they are in a strategically better situation than the perp. The perp is usually 99% of the time, more like a victim to the cops, not in a bad way, but the many times the police have back up, size, or whatever. It is not a duel or a response to an attack. Of course they are citizens. Sorry for the confusion.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast