Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 1:16pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my limited experience, not much, just that judo frowns on the patches and prefers white; blue is somewhat borderline for some already(mine is blue) ,most of the folks I've met black is a no-no.

I just keep my blue gi patch-free.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 1:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my teachers will wear a some what low key bjj gi to judo on occasion, to me it feels thinner then even a single weave judo gi. I'm not sure how well a bjj gi will hold up to hard standing grip fighting but so far my teachers seems to be fine.

Also for judo definitely keep the patches/fancy stitch work to a minimum if you have the really old school guys around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 1:52pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one judo tourny I entered it was mandatory to have 2 gi's, one white, and one blue. No idea if this is standard or not. They don't like patches, and my wife and I had to take pics and send them in asking if they would allow our gi's. All I own are BJJ gi's btw. I admit, for the first few months I did Judo I wore my old tiger claw gi top as I felt dumb wearing, say, my lucky gi considering I'm a judo noob... Nowadays I wear whichever of my gi's is clean, and no one cares. Even though 50% are not tournament legal...

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 1:58pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    The one judo tourny I entered it was mandatory to have 2 gi's, one white, and one blue. No idea if this is standard or not.
    The blue and white requirement is usually for high level tournaments, typically international, national championships and the like. Here even at the inter-provincial level they are not required. However, if you have only one judogi and you intend to compete it should be white. At least locally, we will not allow people to compete who only have a blue judogi.

PS regarding fit, when reffing I don't measure anyone unless I am sure they will fail, in other words if it's close good enough. For anyone over the age of 15 here, if you step into the shiai-jo with an illegal judogi, that's hansoku-make.
    Last edited by NeilG; 6/14/2013 2:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 1:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one judo tourny I entered it was mandatory to have 2 gi's, one white, and one blue. No idea if this is standard or not.
    Generally this is just for larger tournaments that have an effect on national rankings I believe. I have never been to a tourney that required a white and blue gi, just white and blue belts to differentiate competitors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Generally this is just for larger tournaments that have an effect on national rankings I believe. I have never been to a tourney that required a white and blue gi, just white and blue belts to differentiate competitors.
    This was the Alaska State Judo Championship. Which... I would NOT say has any affect on national rankings...

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 6:25pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was the Alaska State Judo Championship. Which... I would NOT say has any affect on national rankings...
    Then I'd say they were being dicks. That's got to be a pretty small state championship.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Then I'd say they were being dicks. That's got to be a pretty small state championship.
    Well I took third in my division... Being a white belt... After losing my only 2 matches via ippon to a brown belt (who was himself beaten by a black belt twice), if that's any indication... It WAS a ton of fun though!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at BJJ no one ever complained about my judogi, but they *loved* the easy gripping sleeves.

at judo we don't mind people wearing white or blue BJJ gis, but black gis are not so cool.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 5:39pm

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure it's fine as long as it's not pink...
    http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighter...gracie-pink-gi
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast