Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2012 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you think Japanese Jujutsu deserves to receive more attention?

It seems over my past few years of training in Japanese Jujutsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that nearly no one doing BJJ actually knows about the lineage of BJJ. For example Jujutsu turned to Judo turned to BJJ. I really think that it deserves to see more attention from the martial arts community, what are your thoughts on the subject?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 12:55am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's not usually much pressure testing done with Japanese Jujutsu, add in some of the silliness inhernet to their katas (which to be fair isn't any worse than any other traditional martial art) and you can see why it doesn't have the kind of exposure seen in BJJ and Judo which are based around and thrive on competition.

That being said, if for some reason all you've got to train in are traditional martial arts then I'd recommend Jujutsu. At least you can learn throws, locks and submissions. Beats Drunken Style kung fu or some crap like that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 1:02am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Time View Post
    It seems over my past few years of training in Japanese Jujutsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that nearly no one doing BJJ actually knows about the lineage of BJJ. For example Jujutsu turned to Judo turned to BJJ. I really think that it deserves to see more attention from the martial arts community, what are your thoughts on the subject?
    Nope. Also, many people no where they derive they do not care. JJJ has been so far removed from BJJ it is not an issue.

JJJ had plenty of exposure it is just on the back burner now.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 2:56am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, the unregulated nature and lack of a central governing body has been a drawcard for fraudsters around the world. Much of what is passed off as Jujitsu these days bears not much resemblance to its namesake.

Even in legit schools the majority, if not all, the training is drilled compliantly or, at best, semi-compliantly. This was Professor Kano's major innovation, training jujitsu techniques in an alive manner. This has been passed on to BJJ. The aliveness in training is what makes these two so effective and thus popular.

The problem with giving more attention/exposure to JJJ is that you can't reasonably distinguish between the 'good' schools that you want to promote and the fraudsters and Mcdojo's that will tarnish the image. So until there is some central governing body that maintains high standards and helps expel the bullshit, then Jujitsu deserves not to be dragged through that public humiliation. IMHO anyway.

*edit: although I am a reforming JJJ apologist so I might be biased
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 4:23am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with JJJ (renting space in our gym) is that it sucks when compared to judo. The trainer is my age and size but is mostly fat. He heard that i have some judo background so he asked me if i wanted to roll with him. I have been exposed to BJJ via UFC, and could see it was judo with some extras so it is deadly. Add to the fact He is a black belt so you can understand i was a bit apprehensive. Long story short, he sucked balls, i submitted him so many times just with a bit of extra power and speed. I was never close with black belts in judo, the maximum i got was to fend them off for a few minutes. I will add that he does make his students spar once in a while, but they waist a lot of time fighting with wood swords and practicing a myriad of techniques without actually getting good enough in a few.
    It seems they know allot of techniques but don’t focus on the ones that actually work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Also, many people no where they derive they do not care.
    What exactly do you mean here?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really think that it deserves to see more attention from the martial arts community, what are your thoughts on the subject?
    What kind of attention are you talking about? If you're talking about the MMA community, its up to JJJ to get people talking about them, by competing and winning. If you're talking about the TMA community, they tend to focus on whatever individual art they study.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 6:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outis View Post
    What exactly do you mean here?
    know where

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JJJ is almost in the same category as Hapkido. There are some schools that concentrate on high percentage techniques, spar hard, and have decent instruction but they are few and far between. They could be decent for a hobbyist looking to stay in shape or practice self defense but abysmal for someone interested in pursuing sport fighting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 6:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your replies so far guys :)
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast