Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 8:02pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shane Frazen's Amazing Knife defense?

What is everyone's opinion on this amazing knife defense? The mugger is especially threatening to me. I'm giving this video points for realism. :obvious_sarcasm:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before this gets moved to trollshido for lack of OP opinion, my opinion is that while some of the advice this guy gives out (Such as not letting bullies get away with ****, some of his muay thai stuff seems alright, but I don't do muay thai so wtf do I know) is good-o.k., this has to be one of the dumbest defenses I've seen for a knife. I hope know one sees this and actually tries it.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sucks out loud.

Decent advice about bargaining and running. I even like the hands up in the bargaining position.

Then Taekwondo happens.

You do not want to try to stay in kicking range against a guy who is trying to get all stabby. They will close the gap and try to gut you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 10:13pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well he just lost his achilles tendon and possibly severed an artery or two...bravo! Seldom do you see such abject fucking stupidity

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 11:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt he's ever been threatened with a knife. Or maybe Shane's just the luckiest man alive?

Seriously though.... who the **** would think this would work? Who, when armed with a knife, attacks someone, who is unarmed, like that? I felt like I was watching an old pirate movie or something with that knife work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correction on the name. It appears the mans name is Shane Fazen?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, fail on all counts of acting like a street tough in their little skit.

My opinion is that a knife is best dealt with using 2 hands in maximum leverage/disbalancing techniques, possibly combined with incidental headbutts to prevent solid off-hand counters. I showed some of this stuff at the last SoCal meet a few weeks ago so maybe it'll end up in a youtube video. I would call it orders of magnitude more likely to work for the barely trained person (read: youtube watcher).

If you're not some kind of criminal or asshole, what sort of person would attack you with a knife? Most likely, a criminal trying to murder you, probably by grabbing or pushing you with one hand while stabbing you with short continuous stabs to the guts or wherever they can, until you are dead, which could mean lots and lots of attacks. Someone who stabs non-assholes is likely to be an ex con and may know a thing or two about stabbing a guy (although they're probably not a trained assassin going after Steve from Human Resources). I don't see the need for too technical a breakdown of why a kick to the hand is very unlikely to work.
    Last edited by Permalost; 6/11/2013 11:31pm at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a video posted a while back in another thread that shows a woman disarming another woman with a similar kick. The only way I could see this having a remote chance of working though is as a surprise while off guard, even then it's a single chance option. I think the best chance against a knife if running isn't an option is to try and control the knife hand, but in the end you're still probably fucked either way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 10:31am

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen worse (Age-Uke...). But to believe than you can perform a kick faster than the bad guy can move his hand an inch is delusional at best, distraction or not.

Furthermore, if you are at a distance where you can kick, then you are at a distance where you can turn around and run, or grab something (or just hand him your wallet).

P.S.:

This is what knife defense should look like, according to the worse of the two Shotokan-Dojos I trained at. Picture from http://www.kravmagatraining.com/

Edit:
    Stumbled on this while looking for "Age-Uke-Knife-Defense-Pictures", had to share it:
    Name:  draft_lens12690531module114400141photo_1281619568self-defense-knife.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  20.4 KB

Reedit: more terrible knife-fighting-pics:
    Spoiler:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muran_Krull_58.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	15021

Name:  knife-defense.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  8.2 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under-siege-21.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	15023
    Last edited by nils; 6/12/2013 10:50am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 11:06am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2-on-1. ALWAYS 2-on-1.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast