2/20/2015 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glock 19 Preferred by Marines

I found this not too surprising.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/19...ntcmp=trending

I love my old, beat up Glock 22, with it's crappy trigger. Which is about the only thing "wrong" with it. Besides being ugly, but I have a nice holster that keeps it covered, LOL !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    2/20/2015 5:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So there is a distinction here that needs to be made. The actual MARADMIN message states that MARSOC personnel can now QUALIFY on the Glock 19 along with other weapons. As far as I'm aware, they've been using them along with the rest of USSOCOM for awhile (not saying adoption is universal, just widespread). I honestly don't think the 1911s would have been purchased if they had polled all of their CSOs and support personnel instead of listening to the old guard. Which is weird, because the Marines typically make wiser acquisition decisions than the rest of the branches of the military (minus the Osprey). Then again, maybe not. They had a lot of 1911 mags lying around. Maybe that was why.

After having carried an M9, M11, and G19 (no "real world" 1911 experience, though), I definitely prefer a G19 for what a sidearm actually is: a secondary weapon. Serpa style holsters make NDs difficult, and the lack of an external safety or grip safety makes it easy to pick up an use. Couple that with adequate sights, great accuracy, reliability, relatively low weight, and low bore axis, and you've got an example of an ideal secondary weapon. I think 15-33 rounds per magazine of 9mm, especially if you're not using military ball, makes a lot more sense than 7-8 rounds of 45ACP for a secondary weapon. The only real downside to a G19 for military carry is that the trigger guard is a bit small if you have fat fingers and are wearing gloves. Especially cold weather gloves. Oh, and if you're a dumbass, you might shoot yourself.

At any rate, I am glad Marine HQ is allowing folks to qualify with weapons they are already carrying.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal