• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 7:55pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!

"A Primer on Pain"

I had been planning on writing an article or two on understanding pain for a good while now, but as luck would have it Dean Somerset asked me to write one for his site. This came about when I offered some criticism on some of the material presented in his latest product. What I'd really like to emphasize that I think all bullies can appreciate is that Dean embraced some areas where he was kind of weak and responded with humility and the desire to learn. For this Dean has my greatest respect.

Check out the article here: http://deansomerset.com/2013/06/10/a-primer-on-pain/

I won't be playing doctor or offer anything that even resembles diagnosis or treatment, but I'll be happy to field questions in the comments there or on the forums here.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article, thanks for sharing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Great article, thanks for sharing.
    Good set of links to go with the great article. Thanks Matt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 9:27am

Style: Not much at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a very nice article! Pretty much addresses many of the educational aspects around pain that therapist have to deal with on a daily base.

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 4:27pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was an interesting and articulate read. Thanks very much.

Paper cuts. Yep, they're a bastard.

A previous Tai Chi teacher of mine did a thesis on Pain. I probably should have asked him some questions...

About a year ago, my Trad JJ instructor had a student who wanted to run some tests on us as 'experienced martial artists' and how we responded to pain. He used a machine to apply pressure and picked specific sites on the body. Now for me, he applied a lot of pressure somewhere on my Shoulder and I took little notice. His Face expressed some surprise (for want of a better expression) at my tolerance. I volunteered that I was aware of the pressure and it was bordering on pain. He took the machine off.

I should have asked for feedback - and in the light of this article, perhaps I will. Was I being Tough? Heaven forbid. These days I bleat like a bastard when I'm on the mat at even a hint of pain. Perhaps "perception" is everything.

The article also alludes to the psychosomatic and that was a very useful point. I shall think more on that.

Thanks again, Django. I've bookmarked it (unusual for me). :-)

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 3:07pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone. The positive feedback I've been getting has inspired me to start writing much more often. It turns out some people actually like to hear what I'm thinking.

I'll probably be starting a separate thread here to keep from polluting the forums. I'm also considering taking questions or article topics, so if there's anything you want my modestly informed thoughts on, fire away.