Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 8:13am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    11kg kettle is a good size. Enough reps, with the right movements and you get a good workout. Stress on "right movements". W. Rabbit and Kovacs are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 10:51am

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll go digest those videos. Never occurred to me that you could learn the proper way to do something from youtube, but it looks like it's very possible.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll go digest those videos. Never occurred to me that you could learn the proper way to do something from youtube, but it looks like it's very possible.
    It's not that you can't try to learn from youtube, but unless you consider yourself pretty experienced with weight training it's important to have someone experienced watch you work with the kettlebell who can tell you when you're doing it wrong, so you don't keep doing it wrong over and over again which can seriously hurt someone, even a big guy.

My issue is I have a hump in my back and a curved spine so keep my spine aligned is a challenge, but nowadays I usually do kettlebells only if my sifu ( a certified physical trainer) is around and can yell at me for doing them wrong.

The last time I overdid kbs solo (without anyone watching my form), I was laid up with back and shoulder injuries for almost a month. I've only just recently begun picking my 20lb kb back up...taking it very slowly.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/11/2013 11:35am at .

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:14pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mate, please, get some proper instruction first. Get the basic swings and movements nailed and then you can swing on your own til' your hearts content. Getting them even slightly wrong means you probably will hurt yourself and more importantly you simply won't be efficient, you'll struggle to progress and waste your time.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:46pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. With a baby on the way though, I don't know if I have the budget for private trainers. I would definitely choose that route if money was no object.

But it looks like I should put the kettlebells down for now and just stick with body weight exercises that I already know how to do correctly. Jacking up my back for a month doesn't sound very appealing.

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't suggesting personal training but a dedicated kettles class.

I hope once your family is settled you give it a go mate. I honestly think kettles are an amazing all round work out and they're a really diverse fitness tool, plus once you've got those basics and are aware of the small points you can leave the classes and train at home.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. With a baby on the way though, I don't know if I have the budget for private trainers. I would definitely choose that route if money was no object.

But it looks like I should put the kettlebells down for now and just stick with body weight exercises that I already know how to do correctly. Jacking up my back for a month doesn't sound very appealing.
    Anybody who knows proper kettlebell form can watch you, it doesn't have to be a paid trainer, just someone who knows what to do and can give you simple feedback like "your back isn't straight".

Lots of people train with kbs....there isn't anybody you know who trains with them who could help you out?

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 11:38pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While swings are the "bread and butter" of a KB workout, there are still many other exercises you can do from basic curls and presses to Turkish get-up's and overhead squats.

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 12:26am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    While swings are the "bread and butter" of a KB workout, there are still many other exercises you can do from basic curls and presses to Turkish get-up's and overhead squats.
    Absolutely. Part of the beauty of kettles is that there's something for everyone regardless of sex, build, goals etc. You can circuit them with aerobics for stamina and conditioning or deadlift-snatch big weights for raw power, stick two together for deep push-ups or whatever. It's amazing way you can get done with a lump of fruity looking metal.

Obviously I'm gushing about them but personally they're one of the best physical things I've ever done regarding fast, objectionable results. Right up there with Judo and rock climbing for me.

Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 4:37am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work in health care provision. Whenever I encounter people with acute musculoskeletal injuries from working out, the sufferers almost invariably say one of two things, the first one being "Well, I was at my crossfit class and..." and the other being "I learnt it from the internet."

Talking to somebody in the know is highly suggested to avoid falling into either of these two patient groups.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast