Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 3:07am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

kettlebells, am I going to hurt myself?

I can't make it to the gym as often as I used to, so I've taken to tossing around a kettlebell just to stay in shape. The problem is, I don't really know what the hell I am doing so I am just playing with it. So far, it feels fine. I get a good stretch my shoulders feel looser and nothing hurts after I work out. Am I likely to cause myself long term damage? The kettlebell I am using for now is pretty light.

Here's what it looks like, if someone wants to critique my form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 9:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can perform the first exercise making the KB go in between your legs in an 8-shape route. I use it a lot to warm up. Also, doing circles with the kettlebell pressed against your neck, stretching neck and arms in the process.

Second exercise: I get the feeling you are bending your back. Do not. If you want the KB to go low, keep your back straight and squat, like if you were doing a Power Clean. If you want the KB to go up then you can either pull it or give it a push with your hips.

On the other hand, I wonder if doing many repetitions with the catching could cause some type of injury. So far I have only seen people do that with KB swings, but they keep their back straight and their body position is very rooted as to minimize the pulls impact, I guess.

I'd recommend doing Turkish get-ups, they are a nice exercise and with very little weight they can be quite challenging.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 10:19am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that with kettleBell there is more strain on the fingers/wrists because of the lengthy movements and impact than with regular free weights. But, they are awesome and there are so many exercises you can do with only one, it is a great tool.
    Remember to listen to your body, if something (a joint, finger) hurts, rest. You need at least a couple of days off a week from KettleBells to rest so to prevent injuries IMO.
    Also, youtube has some really good videos full of drills and such, here is an example:

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think learning a box squat is a good safety precursor to kettlebell swings. The basic motion to be trained is squatting down to sit on a low box or something, then stand back up, while keeping the spine in alignment.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 12:14pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a good primer, from the ever-entertaining Art of Manliness website:
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/0...ell-exercises/

(with a link to the absolutely most cool kettlebell ever: https://www.onnit.com/primal-bells/ )

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 12:23pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out Anthony Diligio (spelling might be wrong), he has a great companion book to Pavels "Enter the kettlebell". He breaks down what exercises to do and when to increase the intensity, its a pretty simplified approach geared to kb beginners that out lines an 18 or so week program.

As mentioned it looks like the op is bending too much at the waist. The movements in the kb swing engage the posterior chain, you need to bend the knees. The book i mentioned takes a similar approach too what permalost mentioned, it has you face a wall get your toes as close as you can and squat, first with no weight later with the kb. By squatting facing a wall you have to bend the knees and get your butt low, it also prevents you from letting the knees slip too far forward past the toes.

The kb movements the op is doing look a little advanced for someone who is new to kb. Check out some basics and master them first.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're gonna hurt yourself.

The best option is to get yourself to a licensed physical trainer to learn the exercises SAFELY. You can seriously hurt yourself with kettle bells. I have personally fucked up my back and shoulder over doing even "correct" exercises..

AT least watch some of Dr. Mark Cheng's videos. He is somewhat of an authority on them.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/10/2013 1:04pm at .

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 2:52pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kettles are awesome, I noticed a marked improvement in my strength for work and for my ma. Personally I think that Kettles are one of the safest ways to train strength and stamina and all sorts really however W. Rabbit is right, if you get them wrong they can seriously injure you. Visit a professional trainer or do some classes just get the basics right. Like all training it's the fine tuning that can make all the difference.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 3:29pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Check out Anthony Diligio (spelling might be wrong)
    Close - Anthony Diluglio:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aosjeff

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody noticed that he is throwing around a 11 kg kettlebell?

So I am sugesting no.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast