Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 6:39pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bolt Action Build Project

About 10-15 years ago, my father acquired two bolt action rifles for free/very little money, see above image. The top one (a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .300 win mag) he won in a church raffle. The bottom one (a Remington Model 700 chambered in .243 win) he apparently paid $100 for. He transferred both of them to me in 2007, having not ever used either one for anything other than plinking. Since then, have I occasionally shot them on range days, but haven't done anything else with them. I guess I could use them for hunting, but 1.) I'm a lefty and these are right-handed rifles, 2.) I don't have any short term plans to go hunting. Even if I did want to go hunting, using wrong-handed bolt action rifles is not ideal, and rifle hunting in my current state of residence is mostly illegal.

Given that I have recently been bitten by the amateur gunsmithing bug, and that I would never sell something my father gave me, I decided it might be fun to do a little re-purposing/customization with these rifles. I will speak to my father about it, but I am confident he will be really excited to see me making use of both of these very generous gifts. Remington 700 and Winchester m70 actions are outstanding actions to build off of, and both have tons of customization potential. Pending my dad's approval, what follows is my build plan for each:

Remington Model 700

1.) Take advantage of the fact that the .243 bolt face is the same as a .308 winchester bolt face by rebarreling the action to .308, which is more available and generally cheaper to shoot. I believe I will have this done professionally by Bartlein, possibly Shilen. Right now I'm planning on going with a 416R stainless steel 20" barrel (undecided on barrel profile at this time). Cost of rebarreling by either company generally includes trueing of the action and hand lapping of lugs.

2.) Purchase an AICS (classic) 1.5 or 2.0. This would completely upgrade the rifle and allow me to use a detachable box magazine and bipod (shooting right handed bolt actions as a lefty is an absolute dream with a bipod). Would likely also cerakote the metal to black or titanium.

3.) Either work the trigger over myself, or have it done by a local gunsmith. Depending on final cost, I may install a Jewell aftermarket trigger group instead.

4.) Add scope rings and a scope of undetermined type yet (leaning towards Primary Arms 4-14 based on economy and reviews).

5.) Attach a savvy sniper sling.

Final result would be a highly accurate medium power/range bolt action that is still fairly portable. Should be a lot more fun to shoot.

Winchester Model 70

1.) Keep the rifle chambered in .300 win mag, but have the action re-barreled to either a Shilen match grade chrome moly or PAC-NOR chrome moly super match (leaning toward PAC-NOR due to their higher tolerances and polygonal rifling). Current preferred barrel length is 24", contour will likely be straight (no contour). Why am I using a chrome moly barrel instead of a slightly more durable stainless? Read on.

2.) Have the action slicked up and lugs hand lapped.

3.) Have a local gunsmith tune the stock trigger for me (a tuned winchester model 70 trigger is pretty amazing).

4.) Once the barrel is properly broken in, send the whole damn thing off to have it QPQ Nitrided (melonite). .300 win mag is notoriously hard on barrels, and the general consensus is that meloniting a highly accurate chrome moly barrel and action yields outstanding and durable results.

5.) Attach the entire thing to a McMillan A5 stock (current best option that I have found) that I will bed and have inletted to accept CDI lower metal, allowing me to utilize AI detachable box magazines. Mounts for bipod and savvy sniper sling will also be included.

6.) Potentially attach a kahntrol clamp on muzzle break, because .300 win mag sucks to shoot.

7.) Swap scope out. Again, unsure of preference here, but looking hard at Primary Arms for now.

So there you have it. From two rifles that are currently collecting dust, I will have two fairly unique and really fun new additions to my armory. My intent is not to turn two hunting rifles into tacticool faux sniper rifles, but to re-purpose two fairly bland and frankly cheap rifles into rifles that have both sentimental and intrinsic value.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Feel free to discuss any rifles that have sentimental value to you, or that you've had customized to suit your tastes.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 9:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a 1941 Tokarev rifle. I worked fro the importer, so mine was sweet. Hand selected. Sold it to a buddy of mine who really wanted it. Regret that one.

Both builds sound great. Post photos when you're done.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn son! That's some serious bidness right thurr. You've got a great plan. As you already know, you're about to spend some fucking loot. It'll be worth it though. They'll be badass rifles.

Not really a big fan of Shilen barrels, but lots of people are. Just a personal thing. Is that a pre-64 Winchester? Guessing not since it's in a synthetic stock but the stock could've been swapped out. Just curious.

You've been doing your homework. Update the thread as you progress. It'll be cool to see the projects in the works.

Edit: One other thing. Just my opinion here. You're already going to drop a **** ton of money. Send your **** to a custom rifle builder instead of the barrel manufacturer and have him put it together. There are some guys out there that do their chambering and barrel timing differently. I've written about the concept in some other threads and I'm not going to rehash it again here. They'll guarantee you 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and you'll probably actually get closer to 1/4 MOA with hand loads. If you think you might be interested in going that route let me know and I'll PM you my recommendation.
    Last edited by Devil; 4/04/2014 10:48pm at .

Posted On:
    4/05/2014 12:31am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm absolutely down to drop some money on these. Some idiot coworkers of mine have questioned why I don't sell both to get the money to buy a rifle I'd rather have. I'm glad to see people besides myself understand why I would rather take something my father gave me and make it better. I know these rifles hold no sentimental value to my dad other than his ability to give them to me. I believe his hope was that I would do something with them, and I think my current plans exceed his expectations. As I said, I'll ask before I do anything with them, and will certainly post more crappy cell phone pics as they are transformed.

To answer your question Devil, I believe the Winchester Model 70 was built during the Repeating Arms years, as it has a cheap synthetic stock and was constructed @ New Haven. Based on my research, I think this was a shadow model/wal-mart special, since those came with synthetic stocks and the cheap Simmons scopes.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 2:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short story:
    Based generally on the design put forth in Bill Holmes' book "A Maseter Gunmaker's Guide to Building Bolt-Action Rifles" (ISBN 1-58160-420-3) and modified to be manufactured on the tools I have available. Bolt and reciever are 4140 steel, professionally heat treated. The bolt innards are modified Remington 700 parts and uses factory Rem 700 trigger. The stock is a Savage BVSS heavily reworked to accept this action. The stock has steel pillars and Brownells AcraGlas bedding. The trigger guard is factory Savage that came on the stock and also uses Savage factory action screws that the pillars were made to match.
    the scope bases are aluminum Weavers marked "35", I think they are for a Rem model 7, both are front bases since the receiver is round. They are not a perfect fit but real close and seem to work very nicely. It wears Burris Signature Zee rings and holds a Weaver V16 4-16x42 scope.
    Barrel is a .17 caliber Pac-Nor fluted contour #6, SST, 1:10 twist, 3 groove, Super Match that finished at 23" long.
    This rifle is chambered in .17 Mach IV with a reamer from Pacific Tool and Gauge.
    Shoots good, see page 14 of the build thread.
    It was lots of work and has a few bugs but I'm happy with how it turned out.