Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 7:56pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hernia recovery

G'day all,

I will have my inguinal hernia operated on in about two weeks (hence my new found interest in this forum I guess - plenty of time on my hands!)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this injury, and if anyone could offer any tips for recovery?

I am 38 years old and train in Kyokushin Karate (10 years), BJJ and aikido. I have also recently integrated weight training into my program (hence the fucking hernia grrr). It may or may not have been an existing condition that the weights aggravated, I'm not sure.

Anyhoo, any advice or experience anyone has had would be really appreciated. I would like to go back to the weights if possible as I was really enjoying the gains from it.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 8:05pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my deity of choice!!! Perfect question for me

39 years old and just had a quadruple abdominal hernia repaired - it was diagnosed as a double and the doctor was quite alarmed when he sliced me open apparently....I was asleep at the time so can't vouch for this

Anyway I am at the end of two weeks now and it hurts less than when I first had it, but comfort is not something you ever get. For two weeks expec to do nothing at all except move a bit. The more you can walk around the better, but not too much at once.

Eat a LOT of fibre and drink a lot of water because peeping and pooping are no fun at all for the first few days. Sleep with feet raised because it stops you moving. Realistically expect to do nothing really physical for up to 6 weeks. You may also want to watch food portion sizes to avoid bulging and straining of the ol' guts

Take the painkillers for the first few days then see how you do without the meds. I stopped because I was uncomfortable not actually in pain

Last but not least get a hefty supply of Xbox/PS3 games in and enjoy the gaming time!

Oh am as for weights, you won't be lifting anything heavier than 20lbs for 3-4 weeks

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 9:11pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hanniballistic's experience and mine were pretty much identical. I only needed the painkillers for a day or two, because yeah, although I was uncomfortable, I wasn't in actual pain.

Worried me that they listed "light coughing" as an abdominal exercise, but that's meant for the other end of the fitness spectrum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 10:19pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had both sides of my groin operated on for hernias. One side was a double hernia. The first hernia operated was a huge bulge ( and I mean huge!).

For me it hurt pretty freaking bad hanging out, and yes taking a dump is incredibly hard you do not want to strain at all. I just took all the pain meds until I ran out, then I was fine.

I think you should wait the entire amount of time the doctor says to wait before working out and the some! Keep in mind most doctors are not personal trainers nor do they understand aggressive exercise and martial arts activities. They might assume what you are describing sounds okay to do, but you probably should not do it for a long time. I would say a few months before you feel more normal. The truth is you will never feel normal again in your groin area for the rest of your life and will always have to stick a finger in there once in awhile to re-adjust.

I would not recommend being a body builder or going crazy lifting weights. There is the ability to re-injure the hernia or at least give you a weaker groin than it is with the repair. I have had at least 2 times in my life when I had a lot of pain and had to go to the doctor to make sure I did not re-injure myself. Apparently I am fine but there is still a weakness in my groin areas on both sides. I still train on the heavy bag, lift weights and throw kicks and do a lot of stuff. My hernia surgeries were about 10 or so years ago as well.

Just don't go to heavy extreme lifting where you scream and strain a lot to lift.

Oh and you can still to BJJ and roll pretty well after you are better so do not worry. Just do not do extreme spazz moves where you try to get out of a move and strain really hard to try and get the guy off of you. Just take life easy man.

Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 4:06am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, though I must say I'm not feeling too optimistic about my recovery.

Good advice too Andrew about taking things a bit easier. Definitely going to review my whole approach and make some changes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 3:42pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvers_ghost View Post
    Thanks guys, though I must say I'm not feeling too optimistic about my recovery.

Good advice too Andrew about taking things a bit easier. Definitely going to review my whole approach and make some changes.
    I had both my hernias repaired probably about 8 years ago and my balls still ache every so often to this day. Do expect it man. You won;t be the same but you will feel SOOOOOOOO much better. By the way I can do tons of sets of pushups, a few pullups, chest press 50lbs dumbells, do spin kicks, do BJJ training, kick the heavy bag, do box jumps, use all the weight machines etc...and my balls still hurt sometimes but there is no problem like a feeling of re-injury. You just have to be very careful and not strain like a maniac. I have never been re-injured.