Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 3:29pm

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sparring sessions

Hey guys I havent posted in a couple of months.
    Here are some sparring vids that I managed to capture at doce pares in montreal where I train under Chris Bautista, the grandson of Cacoy Canete let me know what you think I need to work on. Im the guy wearing yellow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 7:45pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ack, lots of trading there. More movement would be great, your head is often nearly stationary as you're looking to launch offensively. It makes for an easy target that way, as your opponent is easily finding the range for his shots.

You also tend to stay in a pretty strong right lead, even when the range collapses. At close, or even medio, you might want to switch to a left lead to utilize your non-weapon hand for checking and covering. If you stay stick-side forward, that rear hand is too far away to be use defensively for checking.

This may be a stylistic thing, but in many cases you appear to be looking to flurry when combatively it might make more sense to land only one or two good hard decisive shots. With light padded sticks, you can flurry, but with a heavier combat stick or blade, you just can't do that.

Arm hits and abanico hits can occasionally be used to some effect, but they are rarely fight enders. A good power shot with a weapon that has mass, and lots of body torque behind it can decisively end a fight. Check out dog brothers fights to verify this if need be.

So in summary, my tips would be: More head movement and movement in general to make yourself a harder target. Look to use your left hand for checking and defense. Try to land decisive shots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a sparring session with master Chris so he could tell me where I am on a personal level. He pretty much told me the same things you did and showed me how much more effective I would be if I kept mobile and moved in and out, i'll film the next one. He was almost bobbing an weaving like a boxer. Then again he did practice Yaw yan so maybe that's where he got his head movement from. What do you suggest I do against the guy who keeps jumping in the second vid? He demolished me.
    I have a small tournament coming where we have the choice of competing in full armor using real sticks or like the videos i posted where you only have a helmet and gloves. This is in preparation for the National tournament which will be held in September. Apparently whoever wins that will be sponsored to go compete in the World Championships which will be held in Cebu city. Im really hoping to go because I haven't seen my family there in 12 years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 4:18am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The flurries are definitely a stylistic thing, you see loads of WEKAF guys, particularly Doce Pares doing them, I believe it comes from the ruleset (you score by volume of strikes and the ring isn't huge so there's pressure to stand and bang.)

Mortal_wombat: I'm not a lot more experienced than you, but I can suggest some things that my instructor told me that helped my sparring a great deal:

1. Try not to swing from outside so much, you tend to telegraph your combos by always starting with a forehand.
    2. Drop your weight, widen your stance and bend your knees, it feels counter-intuitive but not only does it make you a smaller target it also gives you a bit more "explosive mobility"
    3. Practice bobbing and weaving, maybe have someone stand toe-to-toe with you and just throw 1s and 2s (backhand and forehand temple shots) while you duck under with a head and shoulder movement.
    4. JAB. Seriously, jab on the way in, jab on the way out, do jabs followed by angle 1s, high jabs, low jabs, any kind of jabs.
    5. This is probably the most important one - Bagging, when you bag, work on keeping everything tight, always ALWAYS throw combos, never swing past the point where you can immediately recover and re-angle, the more you practice this sort of thing the tighter your sparring becomes.

Jumping guys are a pain in the ass (I know, I am one), the trick is to time it so that you're not there when they come down, either dash to the side or shuffle back, with luck he'll be a bit off balance when he lands and you can rip him up a bit before he recovers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 12:09pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuzzy had some good points. You're definitely chambering from a very wide position. Your stick is very far to the right. This keeps it out of range for defense. And if you're in a right lead, your left is too far back to check.

For cheap and easy defense, and a less telegraphed offense, keep your stick more in front of you with your elbow up. When it is in front of you, you can simply hide behind it for defense. Think basic shield. When your elbow is up, you are ready to lauch. If it's down, you will either have to raise it, winding up and telegraphing, or you are simply unable to hit with power.

For the jumping guy, he is taller than you and coming down with a number one at a very steep angle. Since your head is so stationary, he's really teeing off. So, first, just work on moving. More specifically, you've got a few options:

A. If your stick is in front and you get caught flat-footed, utilize your roof block and immediately counter with a vertical backhand or circle it to a counter with a number 1. I prefer to punch my roof block rather than do the rolling type. I pop it, keep my elbow high, then immediately after he bounces off, I drop a hard vertical in the gap as he clears. It is a tight one that's difficult to defend. If this is too awkward and your style prefers the rolling roof, just stick the block then roll around your head to a number 1 follow up. It's not a bad idea to drill the **** out of this.

Option B. Since he's coming at you so steep and from such a high angle, simply bob and weave to your left under the strike. Step to the left, and slap him with a low horizontal forehand to the knees, shins, etc. as you go under. Then pop back up, and if you're lucky, you'll be able to land a high backhand to his grill as he's landing and reacting to your low slap. Fuzzy's point of staying lower and a bit wider will really help with this option.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I have that same shirt

Looks like lots of continuous close range strikes with abanikos and stuff, which is what I'd expect of Cacoy Doce Pares. Cacoy is one of my teacher's teachers.

I'm not really a fan of continuous hit hit hit hit hit sparring like that, because I don't think its a good fighting strategy to drive forward and ignore shots/take them on the left arm while you hit with short forehands and abanikos. I try to adhere to the fundamental of fencing- hit and don't be hit. This means that if I'm forced to fight at that close short-hit range, my tendency is to try to clinch up with them to arrest their motion, even if it means I don't get to hit them with a bunch of short strikes. I think its risky to hang out at middle range where you can be hit faster than you can react. I don't know if you allow this sort of clinching though.

What was with all the jumping from Black? IMO Raining Dogs should be used sparingly, and if I saw someone jumping that much I'd probably try to kick them out of the air, as ambitious as that may be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 12:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great advice guys, i'll be sure keep those points in mind during my next class On Thursday. I'll be sure to film it too. By the way do any of you have your own sparring vids? Im pretty sure there was a sparring video thread somewhere on the forum but im unable to find it at the moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 12:49pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    Great advice guys, i'll be sure keep those points in mind during my next class On Thursday. I'll be sure to film it too. By the way do any of you have your own sparring vids? Im pretty sure there was a sparring video thread somewhere on the forum but im unable to find it at the moment.
    Here's mine for what its worth:

Competition footage:
    Bullshido: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118890
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6C4733CE3661DC43

Sparring footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5461AAA3B5F5435E

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    I've got a good number on Facebook but they never embed right here. Here's a few from a tournament 2 years ago though:

Unlike your vids here though, these three are point-sparring rules so there's lots of stops and resets, which really, really changes the game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 9:41pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would encourage you to work on your foot work angles. I see a lot of linear movement. Donít sacrifice defense, in a real fight you wonít have a pad on you left hand. Looks like you are using padded sticks. Personally I would lose the hand pads.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast