Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 9:28pm

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the good advice. My standing table is right below my navel if I do a horse stance and my sitting table hits an inch below the belly button in seiza. I wish I had a good table for a more relaxed standing stance but I haven't got around to finding one. What sort of conditioning routine are you into Rabbit? Is it a part of your hung training? Id also be interested in any qigong routines or videos you might recommend. Ive been doing the one from Sifu Dugas' Dvd for a while and have played around with expanding my practice.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    What sort of conditioning routine are you into Rabbit? Is it a part of your hung training? Id also be interested in any qigong routines or videos you might recommend. Ive been doing the one from Sifu Dugas' Dvd for a while and have played around with expanding my practice.
    Conditioning - I do two different sets of 5 strikes on a shot bag in different levels of horse stances. One set is more basic and for general conditioning, one is little more advanced and adds in some five animal elements (e.g. fu jow gong or tiger claw conditioning). I also use a light 70lb heavy bag for conditioning the various fist techniques in Hung ga.

Qigong - Having thrown a decent amount of money away on qigong DVDs and books that truly sucked and made no sense, I would only ever recommend learning qi gong from an instructor with good references, in person if at all possible. The breathing aspects of qi gong are so subtle and important to good (and safe) qi gong I don't feel they are well transmitted through the screen. YMMV, Dale's videos are great because he spends more time on instruction than simply showing the movements.

There is so much bad Qigong(tm) video, DVD, and book material out there I am wary of most of it, so I've learned to just trust what I feel. Once you know what good qi gong should feel like, you become a much better judge of what you're seeing on video, DVD, etc.

There is qi gong for calming, qi gong for getting work done, and qi gong for hitting things or getting hit. When I am calm, getting work done, taking hits, and still practicing martial arts...I am at my best.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/13/2013 10:07pm at .

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a great example of what I meant above about not "trusting" video, even if I "trust" the instructor.

Here is a video of Chiu Chi Ling doing the famous Hung form "Taming the Tiger" (Lam Family version).

Much of this form, particularly the slower stuff at the beginning, is actually "martial" qi gong.

But watching this video only you'd never see how he is breathing, and the subtle bits of dynamic tension that make this form a real workout.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/13/2013 10:33pm at .

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 12:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the qi gong videos online are so far out there New Age-wise, they are actually entertaining in a sort of surreal way.

I have no idea if the "ancient art" of "Infinity Quantum Qigong" works. I just like watching her dance, and the music is pretty groovy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 8:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post

As of last week, I have been flailing my hands at a canvas bag full of various media for 1 year (with a few week-long hiatuses here and there). Many thanks to Sifu Dugas for starting me on the path. I'm not sure when or if I'll ever test my hands out to see if they are stronger or more durable. Either way I've really found some benefits in the meditative aspects of the practice.

Starting hitting a bag of steel shot today. What has iron palm taught me? Have patience, have a routine, relax, pay attention to what you're doing.

Not sure what's next for me, but I'm thinking of buying a cheap makiwara and using it in place of a heavy bag for the straight punches in Bas Ruttens shadowboxing workout. Gotta get back into some cardio.

The fact that you have been training a whole year before hitting steel shot indicates you've probably got a really good teacher. Far too many people jump the gun on that.

I'm curious if you have seen any effects (positive or negative) from iron palm training with regards to your grips and grip strength in bjj?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would adore going back to iron palm training, but I fear for my hands. I'm an artist and they are my livelyhood, I'd hate to semi-cripple the only thing that makes me money :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 9:21pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely recommend taking a gradual approach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My grip strength is good but that is also because I lift and work out my forearms.

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 4:37pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some cool, short Hung ga fist forms devoted to clawing and gripping...tiger and dragon techniques.

You can work in bags, weights, or your favorite Eagle Catcher.

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    I would adore going back to iron palm training, but I fear for my hands. I'm an artist and they are my livelyhood, I'd hate to semi-cripple the only thing that makes me money :(
    Meh...just go abstract.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast