Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    Certainly there must be something more interesting to discuss.
    Patience. We haven't even finished arguing about what we're supposed to be arguing about, turd.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 8:29pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While this is still just a stepping stone--and could have done with a little bit better editing: "this should be studied further
    examined"; this is a fairly interesting read on people's ability to determine the sincerity of a smile.

http://www.drspeg.com/research/2013/sinceresmiles.pdf

There was another one I read on one's perception of smiles through a service on a school computer. I'll try and dig up a copy.
    Last edited by itwasntme; 6/16/2013 8:37pm at .
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    Certainly there must be something more interesting to discuss. Or perhaps I am the one who put the turd in the punch bowl.
    Smile.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 8:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 2:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here we go, relevant article raising serious questions about Ekman's work:

An important question continued to nag Barrett. What was the best way to determine the emotions that people are feeling? The therapist in her wanted to use the information to help her patients; her inner researcher just wanted the answer. So she dove into the emotion literature, and what she found surprised her. After reviewing all of the studies she could find, she realized that, statistically speaking, the best that scientists of emotion could do was to determine whether someone was feeling good or bad.

For Barrett, that wasn’t good enough. So she kept looking. She signed up for a physiology and cardiovascular training fellowship, to learn how to measure physiological indicators herself. And then something shocking happened. She returned to those famous cross-cultural studies that had launched Ekman’s career—and found that they were less than watertight. The problem was the options that Ekman had given his subjects when asking them to identify the emotions shown on the faces they were presented with. Those options, Barrett discovered, had limited the ways in which people allowed themselves to think.

Barrett explained the problem to me this way: “I can break that experiment really easily, just by removing the words. I can just show you a face and ask how this person feels. Or I can show you two faces, two scowling faces, and I can say, ‘Do these people feel the same thing?’ And agreement drops into the toilet.”

This exposed a fatal flaw in Ekman’s work as far as Barrett was concerned. “I mean, think about it,” she said. “When was the last time that you saw somebody win an Academy Award for going like this with fear”—at which point she mimicked for me the face in Edvard Munch’s The Scream.
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/a...related/print/

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 3:46pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Language and culture apparently have a lot to do with how emotions are perceived. For instance, in some Asian cultures, people tend to be more community-minded and care what others' perceptions of them are; and as such, they tend to have more/differing words to describe emotions than your typical Western individual brought up in a society promoting individualism.

Can anybody attest to this?
    Last edited by itwasntme; 7/12/2013 4:01pm at .
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 12:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Language and culture apparently have a lot to do with how emotions are perceived. For instance, in some Asian cultures, people tend to be more community-minded and care what others' perceptions of them are; and as such, they tend to have more/differing words to describe emotions than your typical Western individual brought up in a society promoting individualism.

Can anybody attest to this?
    Yes, people are generally deluded. Much like the authors of the original study.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 7:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, people are generally deluded. Much like the authors of the original study.
    Translation?

My heart melted.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 2:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Translation?

My heart melted.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She could be ugly at heart and even prone to violent hysteria when angered, but she melted your heart with a smile and a kiss. That smile, my friend, can be deadly.

All warfare is based on deception.

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She could be ugly at heart and even prone to violent hysteria when angered...
    So.........deliciously-vigorous hate-****?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast