Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homernoid View Post
    Of course there are shallow points in that study. Frankly you may find some in nearly every study.

Sure, numbers are not that high, at least they had enough to use percentage.

The study is not the last call? Seriously, what have you expected? Pilosopher's Stone? RLY?

They call it science, thats why the repeat it, all over and again. Science very well mean: Try, fail, try again, fail better.
    Working it out yourself is intended.
    I get your point, except the part where they're beyond scrutiny cause science. Part of the process is discussing how the process could be done better. Being critical of the last attempt. That's happening here and I don't see any problem with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 5:13pm

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Homernoid

Don't mistake critique on the study with critique on you. The topic of psychological domincance and its effects is very interesting, but also very complex. To tackle it in a conclusive and scientific manner would take a huge amount of data (to eliminate all the other variables).
    It would be nice if the guys who created the study would get some proper funding for further research (which might be their intention; the study seems a bit like it is made to get the means for better research).

Still, nitpicking of other people's studies is the cornerstone of empirical science.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    @Homernoid

Don't mistake critique on the study with critique on you. The topic of psychological domincance and its effects is very interesting, but also very complex. To tackle it in a conclusive and scientific manner would take a huge amount of data (to eliminate all the other variables).
    It would be nice if the guys who created the study would get some proper funding for further research (which might be their intention; the study seems a bit like it is made to get the means for better research).

Still, nitpicking of other people's studies is the cornerstone of empirical science.
    I agree. However, some smile because they're happy to be where they are at that given moment in their lives.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    I agree. However, some smile because they're happy to be where they are at that given moment in their lives.
    And some smile as in Jason "Mayhem" Miller, right before he would get really beat up. At times, smiling is a sign of weakness while a grin can be a show of epic respect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 8:09am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I get your point, except the part where they're beyond scrutiny cause science. Part of the process is discussing how the process could be done better. Being critical of the last attempt. That's happening here and I don't see any problem with it.
    I don't see neither. I would't call it a problem, no semantic-discussion intented. IMO it's just a very small a study - I even tend to regard it as a pre-study, like a first exploration.
    I'm fine with anything else.

@Homernoid

Don't mistake critique on the study with critique on you.
    I don't.

Enjoy nitpicking.

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 12:40pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homernoid View Post
    Enjoy nitpicking.
    I hate to be a douchenozzle on this, but nitpicking in the social sciences is a must for experimental design and interpretation. There are too many things going on in the social sciences to truly isolate the things you are interested it by doing things in a half-assed manner. If you chose to you could work on correlating the smiles with the betting odds and call the paper, "The Odds Are Against You? Smile."

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by -TANK- View Post
    And some smile as in Jason "Mayhem" Miller, right before he would get really beat up. At times, smiling is a sign of weakness while a grin can be a show of epic respect.
    A vet told me, a while back, that recent animal research indicates a closed-mouthed smile, in mammals (including primates) shows a wish to either play or co-operate---while a show-the-teeth grin is supposed to be a warning.

So...you've been warned: the grinning person may be about to bite you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 2:06am

Style: Taijiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I hate to be a douchenozzle on this, but nitpicking in the social sciences is a must for experimental design and interpretation. There are too many things going on in the social sciences to truly isolate the things you are interested it by doing things in a half-assed manner. If you chose to you could work on correlating the smiles with the betting odds and call the paper, "The Odds Are Against You? Smile."
    I am very aware of that point (the half-assed manner etc.). I know it is crucial and seldom worth a second look.
    Nils was first to use the word, where I responded to that critique-point:

@Homernoid

This, for example, is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    A vet told me, a while back, that recent animal research indicates a closed-mouthed smile, in mammals (including primates) shows a wish to either play or co-operate---while a show-the-teeth grin is supposed to be a warning.

So...you've been warned: the grinning person may be about to bite you.
    To me, the study suffers on bad variable-choices. It almost seems, the authors have no clue on diffrent meanings of smiles, so they picked the intensity of smile - whatever this may be - an something worth of being meassured.
    To be perfectly honest, all those things they obviously missed, hold vague, or just backup with difficult statisical operations for little gain, nearly help to give an inpression what's really behind this thing.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're actually arguing about smiles. Wow! Certainly there must be something more interesting to discuss. Or perhaps I am the one who put the turd in the punch bowl.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast