Page 5 of 9 First 123456789 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Could be a lot of things. Thus my initial complaint that they said plainly that baring teeth is a submissive display.
    Understood. Maybe I read too fast, but I don't believe they made that bold of a statement. I took them as saying they strongly feel/believe this way.

Either way, there will likely be future studies which will hopefully reveal more definite results.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    This tiger shows his teeth, almost seems friendly right?

He's most likely communicating to this girl "if this cage wasn't here I'd be eating you and your family, right now".

I'm not sure at whom this is directed, or really what point you're trying to illustrate. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with someone?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This tiger shows his teeth, almost seems friendly right?

He's most likely communicating to this girl "if this cage wasn't here I'd be eating you and your family, right now".

Okay, but this stuff is sort of tenuous to tack on to humans when you're just considering primatology.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I'm not sure at whom this is directed, or really what point you're trying to illustrate. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with someone?
    If it isn't obvious, you are probably over thinking it.

Okay, but this stuff is sort of tenuous to tack on to humans when you're just considering primatology.
    Who tacked anything on to humans?

I am talking about tigers eating entire families. It seems as arbitrary as guessing what someone's smile indicates.

Dexter's smile indicates he's about to kill again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just look at this stone-faced killer.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who tacked anything on to humans?
    Oops, didn't realize this was an article about tigers.

I am talking about tigers eating entire families. It seems as arbitrary as guessing what someone's smile indicates.
    But they're guessing what someone's smile indicates by reviewing many case studies of people and general principles of primatology (sort of). Seems less arbitrary than throwing a tiger vid into a thread about people without any commentary linking the two (tacking the two together, if you will).

Dexter's smile indicates he's about to kill again.
    Dexter would probably be an outlier in a study that showed general patterns of when people smile.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops, didn't realize this was an article about tigers.
    You're welcome.

But they're guessing what someone's smile indicates by reviewing many case studies of people and general principles of primatology (sort of). Seems less arbitrary than throwing a tiger vid into a thread about people without any commentary linking the two (tacking the two together, if you will).
    You're right they were guessing, and looks CAN be deceiving. Fifty points for your House.

Dexter would probably be an outlier in a study that showed general patterns of when people smile.
    Maybe. Or, a textbook example of someone who smiles because they are being mischievous.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is totally irrelevant to the thread:

(button in upper right corner) Settings> (left menu under My Account) General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe. Or, a textbook example of someone who smiles because they are being mischievous.
    What if someone smiles because they remember a joke their friend told them last week? This all goes back to context and inference. All they are doing is laying the foundation for future work, which usually starts with at least one guess, called a hypothesis.

We can't forget either that, like Kraus and Cheng, we are subject to bias that will affect how we perceive the same results they produced.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys were all known to use their charisma, and ostensibly their smiles:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, what about internal smiling styles. This study only seems to deal with the so-called "external" styles.

What happens when you're smiling on the outside, but inside you're really crying.

From a CMA point of view this study is too yang.

Page 5 of 9 First 123456789 Last