Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 1:49pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this was going to be a Vintage WWE era thread.....I am exceptionally disappointed to learn it I about dipshit scientific theories that are about a convincing as Donald Trumps hairpiece

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 2:05pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does it mean when the fighter looks like he's half asleep before a match, like Fedor?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    What does it mean when the fighter looks like he's half asleep before a match, like Fedor?
    This article is clearly about humans, not Russian murder robots.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I thought this was going to be a Vintage WWE era thread.....I am exceptionally disappointed to learn it I about dipshit scientific theories that are about a convincing as Donald Trumps hairpiece
    Reading this made me instantly realise the problem many had/have with some of my posts.

The first thing I would like to address is the fact that Kraus and Cheng never asserted that anything in their research constituted a definite; so I am unsure of what exactly you need convincing of beyond the fact that, based on the information we have access to at this point in time, this hypothesis is entirely possible. It was never presented that this is a cause-effect dilemma, only that a correlation has been found. This is highly useful information as it gives a precedent for future experiments and research and gives clues to deciphering the human mind.

I would ask what qualifies you to deem research done by two alumni of UC Berkeley - the top school for psychology in the States - as "dipshit scientific theories", but I am fairly certain there is no reasonable answer to that. Instead, I will settle for why, as a LEO, do you exhibit zero interest in furthering your understanding of human emotions and behaviors?
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 7:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM'd accordingly

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 8:06pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like you got me hook, line, and sinker lol. I also spoke out of turn as it is Stanford that is the top school for psychology; Berkeley placed at number 2 in the States.
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 8:10pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Reading this made me instantly realise the problem many had/have with some of my posts.

The first thing I would like to address is the fact that Kraus and Cheng never asserted that anything in their research constituted a definite; so I am unsure of what exactly you need convincing of beyond the fact that, based on the information we have access to at this point in time, this hypothesis is entirely possible. It was never presented that this is a cause-effect dilemma, only that a correlation has been found. This is highly useful information as it gives a precedent for future experiments and research and gives clues to deciphering the human mind.

[snip for useful information]

The issue I have with the paper is the concept of drawing parallels for the sake of confirming a theory. I read the paper and I could do the same test with just about any notable wide range emotions. The most notable one of course is the smile; but what about the ones that aren't noted?

This report tells me; as a person reading it; that smiling at someone when they are mad pisses them off enough to beat on you harder. And I don't need a degree in Psychology to confirm that.

[Edit]

Turns out this was addressed in the paper. I guess I should have read to the end of the findings.

I wait for further results with baited breath. Thanks for the read.

Notwithstanding the strength of the current findings, it is important to consider a few limitations of this research, along with the future directions they suggest.

Importantly, as we did not have access to the fighters’ internal states when the photographs were taken, we can only make inferences about why some fighters smiled prior to their fights. We contend that these smiles reflect unintentional nonverbal responses that leak info rmation about a fighter’s reduced physical dominance relative to their specific opponent, and some of our data supports this interpretation: For instance, that fighter smile intensity predicted the outcome of the current match, and not future fighter wins and losses suggests that fighter smiling reflects context - specific physical dominance and does not reflect trait levels of hostility or aggression. Despite these initial results, it is also plausible, for example, that fighter smiles were based on the experience of self - conscious emotion in the pre -fight confrontation ( e.g., Keltner, 1995 ) , or stemmed from actual fighter perceptions of reduced fighting ability elative to opponents.

Future research is needed to more definitively rule out these possibilities.
    Last edited by Ignoscant; 6/09/2013 8:37pm at .

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 8:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Looks like you got me hook, line, and sinker lol. I also spoke out of turn as it is Stanford that is the top school for psychology; Berkeley placed at number 2 in the States.
    It's all good - still wish we had Jim Neidhart and Greg Valentine here though.....

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 9:10pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    This report tells me; as a person reading it; that smiling at someone when they are mad pisses them off enough to beat on you harder. And I don't need a degree in Psychology to confirm that.
    The report says nothing about the emotional state of the person that is not smiling. It merely suggests that they are going to be more aggressive than their smiling opponent, which reflects their mental state, not emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    It's all good - still wish we had Jim Neidhart and Greg Valentine here though.....
    It's too bad we can't be rid of Hulk Hogan.... *sigh*
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch OSW review and you'll hate him even more...like I do
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast