Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Head outside single vs head inside single

Hello everyone, which one is preferable in a MMA context, the head outside (high crotch) single or the head inside version? Does it all depend on your opponent's stance relative to yours? I've heard that the head inside single is better because it doesn't open you up for guillotines and back takes, but it seems like it's asking to get punched or kneed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 1:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know about in a mma context but when I was wrestling if I shot head to the outside and did not switch to a double leg quickly I would always find myself in cross face central.

If you shoot head to the inside and are not lazy about continuing to move your opponent around I would think it would be some what difficult to go to town on your head. However I have never been a mma fighter so you should take others advice before mine.

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 5:06pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the head inside the only real spot they can land a half decent shot is on top of your head, which shouldn't concern you greatly. Also, as Jeff pointed out, if you have them off balance this is infinitely harder, if not also working in your favour
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've hit both. Each of them has their advantages and disadvantages, but I'd say the key in both is to stay moving. The only time ever get jammed up is if I quit driving, strikes or not.

The usual objection to the head-outside is getting guillotined, but I can't say that it has ever happened to me. Shrug your shoulders, good posture, drive, cut the corner... etc. Posture usually prevents me from getting subbed, kneed, or punched.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 9:48am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of singles seem to be opportunistic in MMA. In other word taken because they happen to be there as opposed to setting up a shot.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 7:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Single legs are also fluid. So you dont just go for one you change it up. There is a head inside to head outside combination. But I have forgotton it.I will ask today.

Single legs are also fluid. So you dont just go for one you change it up. There is a head inside to head outside combination. But I have forgotton it.I will ask today.

Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned this exact drill, back in the day...