Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 6:24am

Style: MantisShrimpFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tim Larkin on the Blade

I was reading an article at www.realfighting.com by Tim Larkin. Here's his approach to hand to a knife confrontation:

First you need to close distance; no good if you stand off and dance in and out with an attacker. That allows him to slice and dice you at will. You need to be close. Your focus isn't on the knife but on his neck; your target is his CNS. The body weapons of choice are your forearms. That three inches of bone above the break of your wrist is your body's own personal piece of lead pipe. The hand has approximately 72 bones in it and can easily break or fracture if not properly set. The forearm needs no special position and is an extremely powerful striking weapon.

As you quickly close distance, merely attack with full downward circle strikes. Imagine your arms rotating in front of your body like two propellers - your left rotates clockwise, your right counter clockwise. The striking surface of your wrists rotate six to eight inches in front of your torso. This attack not only provides protection of your torso area but generates incredible striking power for this assault as you rush in. This is a violent assault designed to strike the assailant in multiple targets of his body. Your first strikes will hit his arms and rapidly advance up his body. With your focus on his neck, you'll soon find yourself well above his knife and in his center core. There, you can use your forearms strikes to:

1) Crush his windpipe; the windpipe has the consistency of copper tubing and crushes easily.
    2) Strike the Vagus nerve (follow the neck from the earlobes down, this nerve runs up and down that line on either side). You'll know when you hit the nerve because it's an instant knockout. Your attacker's eyes roll straight up, his knees buckle, and he collapses straight down in a lump.
    3) You can also use your thumbs to gouge out his eyes. Simply open-hand slap him on the ears and place your thumbs in the sockets and gouge.

Any one of these three strikes will take out his central nervous system and immediately allow you to control or kill him as the circumstances dictate. You'll notice I didn't discuss what happened with the knife. During that confrontation you probably received a couple of cuts or slashes and you may need stitches…but you're alive and he's either dead or out of commission.

I'm going to test this out later today but what do you guys think about this approach? Sounds like basically windmilling in and going for the neck. Will this work in your opinion?

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 6:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Test it out? You gonna find some street punk to cut you up? lol
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 6:56am

Style: MantisShrimpFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I going to use a big red marker and see if I get any lethal stab wounds while hitting the targets.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 7:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, you serious? That's a good idea...
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 7:25am

Style: judo/tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, I count 19 bones in the hand, not 72. The rest of the advice is equally unreliable and almost certain to get you killed if you ever attempted this approach.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 7:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Tim Larkin on the Blade

Originally posted by JackHanma
    I'm going to test this out later today but what do you guys think about this approach? Sounds like basically windmilling in and going for the neck. Will this work in your opinion?
    Lol, I think you're right. The first thing I thought of was flailing like a buffoon and charging in.

Kudos to you for trying it though. Let us know what happens. :)

I think we have a few med students on the board, maybe then can say something about the throat crushing strike, I think that sounds a little dubious.

I think there can be no doubt though, you will be slashed, and perhaps fatally. As always, a last resort I guess. Better a last resort than no resort though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 7:53am

Style: wrestling/BIFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can i just say you have one hell of a sparring partner if he is going to let you nerver strike him properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 8:11am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's to keep the guy with the knife from moving out of the way of your "windmill"? Side stepping and cutting or stabbing? Not knocking it, just making sure that you have your opponent think realisticly also. The article makes it sound like the BG is just going to stand in one place trying to slash you up. Not overly realistic in my opinion. Then again, what do I know? :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 8:50am

Style: Wrestling, WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Muqatil
    What's to keep the guy with the knife from moving out of the way of your "windmill"? Side stepping and cutting or stabbing? Not knocking it, just making sure that you have your opponent think realisticly also. The article makes it sound like the BG is just going to stand in one place trying to slash you up. Not overly realistic in my opinion. Then again, what do I know? :)
    Better yet, what's to keep the guy from taking you to the ground? If he goes for a takedown, is that windmill going to help you as he is cutting the backs of you legs open? Or are you going to sprall in and get your stomach cut open?

Ben Johnson and Jesse Owens are the only people that have a reliable defense technique against a knife.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2004 9:29am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only truly reliable knife defense is a firearm from a distance. :) Anybody that says they have the "way", in my opinion, is full of it. There is no one way. In the end, defending against a knife attack requires not only skill and intent, but even a little luck.
Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast