Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ground and pound for street self defense?

Some people talk **** about using the guard in a street self defense situation, but wouldn't ground and pound from top be pretty dangerous too? In the sense that if you miss, your fists' meeting with the hard ground isn't going to be pretty. Wouldn't your fists turn into bloody mush?

Style
    Thai Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert in legal technicalities, but I suspect that when you're beating your "attacker" while he's laying on his back, you're no longer defending yourself. When are you going to start your Judo class?

Style
    Recovery(lung surgeries)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie McGee View Post
    I'm no expert in legal technicalities, but I suspect that when you're beating your "attacker" while he's laying on his back, you're no longer defending yourself. When are you going to start your Judo class?
    Not true. You need to be safe. Rarely does someone go down with a single strike and I don't know if you have ever mounted and pounded someone in their faceholes, but I promise you they are not happy 100% of the time.

You may have just escalated your personal danger level by letting them up.

I would pass on ground and pound if given the option and situation, but not for fear of missing and hurting my hand if they have good head movement you simply get a higher mount and trap an arm to limit mobility and their guard or/and throw elbows till you can choke them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    done that. Yes hitting the ground and not someones head hurts like the dickens. but apart from some nasty cuts hand still worked.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    Thai Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Not true. You need to be safe. Rarely does someone go down with a single strike and I don't know if you have ever mounted and pounded someone in their faceholes, but I promise you they are not happy 100% of the time.
    Heavens no. I'm far above you plebs and your ghastly groundfighting. Inevitably, one soils one's favorite shirt.

I would pass on ground and pound if given the option and situation, but not for fear of missing and hurting my hand if they have good head movement you simply get a higher mount and trap an arm to limit mobility and their guard or/and throw elbows till you can choke them out.
    I was trying to say something like this, but I couldn't because the extent of by grappling training is walking around the BJJ class on my way to the bathroom. But dammit, I'm a person on the internet, therefore my opinion has value and deserves to be heard, even if I don't brain too good.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moomoobaba View Post
    Some people talk **** about using the guard in a street self defense situation, but wouldn't ground and pound from top be pretty dangerous too? In the sense that if you miss, your fists' meeting with the hard ground isn't going to be pretty. Wouldn't your fists turn into bloody mush?
    Throw short elbows. Problem solved.

While this can work, I feel constrained to point out that this a tongue in cheek response for any Youtube warriors out there.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dudes have broken their hands that way in Felony Fights. Probably Bumfights too.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A broken hand isn't the end of the world. If you break it, keep throwing it along with the other one until the guy is no longer a threat to you.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head buts used to be the **** in this position, and lethal too, so they got banned.
    Also, you can strike with the palm of your hand if you hurt your knuckles.I would also not worry from missing the head entirely, but rather hurting it on his forearm or scull.

Head buts used to be the **** in this position, and lethal too, so they got banned.
    Also, you can strike with the palm of your hand if you hurt your knuckles.I would also not worry from missing the head entirely, but rather hurting it on his forearm or scull.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post

So, wait, you're saying I can't use head butts on the street anymore?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last