pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ball de bastons

I recently saw a video of an Iberian tradition called ball de bastons. Its a choreographed dance where 2 rows, wielding oak batons, hit them together in time with the music. Wikipedia says it was first recorded in 1150 and is related to Morrris dancing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_de_bastons

Here's a video of an event:

The first thing this reminded me of was dandia raas, which is another dance where twin sticks hit together in a similar Indian dance/garba. I've gone with my gf to these and they're a lot of fun. It also reminded me of various martial arts traditions where dances are used to practice martial stuff, like some dances in the Philippines.

Does anyone have any experience with ball de bastons? Is there any martial aspect of the tradition?

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:17pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've wondered the same thing myself, watching Morris dancers.

In a similar tradition I saw a Hawaiian group, each wielding a long staff and stick - not much dancing but the percussion was good.

Also, sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of hot women in skin-tight pants doing the maculele:

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with ball de bastons
    Not personally. This dance is from the mediterranean coast and I'm from the athlantic coast. Never seen it performed other than in TV.

Is there any martial aspect of the tradition?
    None surviving today. If there was any it was lost many years ago.

But if you are interested I can ask around.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

Does anyone have any experience with ball de bastons? Is there any martial aspect of the tradition?
    There are multiple basically similar stick/"sword" dances throughout Europe, but I'm not sure that any of them have more than a tangential, stylized relationship to actual fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 8:31am

Style: Bowie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a bunch of different dances all through Europe that probably have martial origins, some of which are documented to a greater or lesser degree (the "Dirk Dance," certain Cossack dances, The Drogheda Jig or The Drochetty March are all alleged to have been vehicles for martial instruction or catalog).

The problem is that a lot of these dances don't look very martial. There are any number of reasons why this may be. It may be because the martial content of the dance was lost or diluted because the dancers were not being guided by martial artists or had no real desire to use the dance as martial training. Or it could just be that the dance wasn't intended to be anything more than entertaining and just happened to include something which could be used as a weapon because it's entertaining. Like the "Sword Dance" that you see some Belly Dancers do. In 500 years, might some future researcher look at that scantily clad lady waving an oddly balanced scimitar around and wonder what the martial component of hip gyrations and chest thrusts is? :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk