• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:17am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also not sold on Erick Silva, especially considering his biggest win right now is Charlie Brenneman. At the very least, he seems to have learned his lesson about acting like a cocky little punk in the cage from the Fitch fight.

Except he really needs to work on not letting himself get backed up so much when standing up. Against someone like Velasquez, who is great at pressuring forward and much more nimble on the feet than Big Nog or Roy Nelson, he would get backed into a corner pretty easily.
    Agreed on that. Nog really didn't let him breathe, so I think at this point Velasquez would chew him up and spit him out. He's definitely got the chops on the ground to threaten Velasquez after he gets taken down, but he's going to get taken down. I think I've seen Werdum described as "technical, but not athletic", which seems about right. And that's unfortunately a death sentence against JDS and Velasquez.

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is worse is that Werdum doesn't really have that much oomph behind his strikes.

Werdum/Bigfoot rematch would be neat, once Silva recovers from the beating Velasquez laid on him. Alternatively, both Barnett and Mir would be exciting submissionwars which would undoubtedly lead to somebody gettng finished. Cormier, too, would be an intrigueing matchup, but I fear that fight would end up with Cormier smothering the crap out of Werdum for a boring decision win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 12:05pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All around solid card! I always love a good sub! Nog looked good, even in defeat. I think he's got some interesting match ups left in him. Werdum got pushed back on his feet by Nog's solid boxing for a while. His stand up has been coming along for a while now, hope to see him continue to focus on that in training. AWESOME scrambles from both of these guys, that's a lot of weight in the cage that was moving around very impressively imho!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 12:11pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fejao looked good for all of 2.5 minutes or so... How do you show up for a 15 minute fight with 2 minutes of cardio?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:09am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Agreed on that. Nog really didn't let him breathe, so I think at this point Velasquez would chew him up and spit him out. He's definitely got the chops on the ground to threaten Velasquez after he gets taken down, but he's going to get taken down. I think I've seen Werdum described as "technical, but not athletic", which seems about right. And that's unfortunately a death sentence against JDS and Velasquez.
    Yeah, the only way Werdum isn't getting taken down is if Velasquez decides the fight isn't going down there. Hell, if that were the case, then Werdum couldn't use his Thai clinch either, since Velasquez's wrestling would give him the edge in the clinch.

That means it would be a kickboxing match between Velasquez and Werdum. If Velasquez kept pressing forward, then Werdum would just keep getting overwhelmed and backing up. Werdum's only real hope standing would be to get offensive. But "blitz forward" isn't exactly the best strategy for a fight.

Werdum desperately needs to work on his defensive striking, basically, in order to get it on the same level as his offensive striking.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Nog looked good, even in defeat. I think he's got some interesting match ups left in him. Werdum got pushed back on his feet by Nog's solid boxing for a while. His stand up has been coming along for a while now, hope to see him continue to focus on that in training.
    His boxing in the clinch has been looking better and better. Hes also been working on the timing for his right hand, which is always an important tool to work on.

Right now, I think Big Nog is in about the same place as Frank Mir. Still an elite fighter, but will never fight for the belt again. I really hope he doesn't just become a gatekeeper, considering his legendary career and all he has done. But, in the end, it is his decision after all.

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 2:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    amazing armbar by Werdum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12