Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Military prisons are different, but not in a lot of ways. I worked with a bunch of guys who were in the army reserves. All of them got called up and worked prisons in the middle east while all this was going on. They said that the prisons were not run significantly different than how we run them here.
    Except for the excesses of Abu Graib.

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:52pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    It looks like there's a new guy in the crosshairs now and his name is Snowden. Although my thought on his "breaking news" is no fucking ****. Who the hell at this point wouldn't think that big brother is spying on their phone calls and emails?? Did we really need a "leak" for that story??
    That's not what the leak was about. It was about the partnership between Government and specific technology companies to turn over all your private data to be archived by the NSA.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 3:28am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Military prisons are different, but not in a lot of ways. I worked with a bunch of guys who were in the army reserves. All of them got called up and worked prisons in the middle east while all this was going on. They said that the prisons were not run significantly different than how we run them here.

Also this guy is subject to the UCMJ as well as U.S. law. I think it is safe to say he is going to prison for a long long time.
    First off, I agree. He's probably going away for a long time, but I'm not sure he should. This bothers me on several levels that I won't get into right now.

I should caveat that I was referring to stateside military prisons. I have nothing good to say overall about prisons run by our military overseas except that the MP units in charge of the ones I dealt with stuck by our recommendations as intelligence/interrogation teams to the best of their ability excluding extenuating circumstances. In my opinion the biggest problem was that release authority was relegated to their command, which is a clear conflict of interest since number of detainees is a sure bullet point on an officer's OER.

Secondly, things may or may not have changed, but generally I was not impressed with the performance of reservists in general and intel and MP reservists in specific while I was deployed. My perceptions are likely biased as all hell, but there they are.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 7:56am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    In my opinion the biggest problem was that release authority was relegated to their command, which is a clear conflict of interest since number of detainees is a sure bullet point on an officer's OER.
    Yeah, also a big problem was that they put a bunch of PMs in the prisons with no real correctional training. One of my buddies said he worked with a bunch of people who had never been in a prison before they were stationed there. So you had a bunch of new cocks trying to run a prison. They were new cocks, despite having military rank. A bunch of these reservists were working in places like walmart before being called up, sent over seas, and then told to work in a prison. That's a recipe for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Secondly, things may or may not have changed, but generally I was not impressed with the performance of reservists in general and intel and MP reservists in specific while I was deployed. My perceptions are likely biased as all hell, but there they are
    I know a few really good cops and correctional officers that got called up. But I know a lot more that were in the reserves just for the benefits and tried to do everything they could think of to keep from getting called up, including faking injuries.

Yeah, I don't blame you.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 12:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a mess. You're fucked; no real choice in what to do with arguably some of the worst political leadership in American history.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 3:17am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    submessenger wrote:
    There's a significant difference between failing to follow an order and violating several laws. Your argument is irrelevant.

For example, when Eichmann ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann) was brought to trial, the court was amazed, that they were prosecuting just a bureaucrat, who just followed orders and did his best to make things go smoothly. He probably just played along the current laws.
    So turning blind eye on killing, raping, torturing civilians for fun, without a solid cause,... is okay? Should all armies have free hands to do whatever they want?
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 6/13/2013 3:24am at .

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 6:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    submessenger wrote:
    There's a significant difference between failing to follow an order and violating several laws. Your argument is irrelevant.

For example, when Eichmann ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann) was brought to trial, the court was amazed, that they were prosecuting just a bureaucrat, who just followed orders and did his best to make things go smoothly. He probably just played along the current laws.
    So turning blind eye on killing, raping, torturing civilians for fun, without a solid cause,... is okay? Should all armies have free hands to do whatever they want?
    Really? Godwin in under 40 posts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 8:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Really? Godwin in under 40 posts?
    Doesn't answer the question, Mr.Messenger.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 8:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    Doesn't answer the question, Mr.Messenger.
    Perhaps a comparison to ancient Rome would be more appropriate? We're discussing US law and US military orders, here, not Nazi Germany.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast