Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 2:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    while KAA #12 is a right high line thrust to clavicle with left hand mirroring (or, with 2 weapons, a double high line thrust).
    Funny, that's a Cabales Serrada Escrima #12 too!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 7:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Practically speaking, the one useful thing the names do is help to differentiate when your teacher teaches a few different FMA styles. Mine teaches Villabrille/Largusa kali (KAA) and Cacoy Doce Pares. They use different angle systems etc. Both tend to use a 12 angle system but what number is what varies. For example, CDP #12 is a left lead right thrust to the guts, while KAA #12 is a right high line thrust to clavicle with left hand mirroring (or, with 2 weapons, a double high line thrust). So, when my teacher says to feed attacks 1-12, sometimes I have to clarify which one he means.
    That's why the Brotherhood of the Blade went with the clock. It doesn't matter what our individual systems call an angle #1, we can all understand "Strike from 1 oclock to 7 oclock."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 7:08am

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyones perceptions of what the terms mean to them will differ depending on their own exposure to different styles. I try not to Assume too much but certain preconceptions come to mind when I hear a paticular term.

My own perception is based on the styles locally available in my own city.

To me Kali would be for systems that came to my area through American influence, that seek a connection to the roots of the arts using both Spanish & Filipino terms. The kali I've been exposed to are part of JKD or Kenpo schools and the concepts involved.

To me with Eskrima i assume a connection to Cebu, the Eskrima in my area have a strong focus on training for Wekaf competitions either locally or in the Philippines.

Arnis seems to be the more general term used by Tagalog filipinos coming over. If I meet someone who speaks tagalog and was taught by their father it's most commonly Arnis. I don't know enough about Arnis styles though as locally they are family or backyard training groups that I've come accross by chance.

None of that really means anything other than what I in particular have come accross.

The terms are interchangeable and probably depend more on the marketability of the particular term at the time the style was named.

I just call it "sticks".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 7:25am

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    That's why the Brotherhood of the Blade went with the clock. It doesn't matter what our individual systems call an angle #1, we can all understand "Strike from 1 oclock to 7 oclock."
    I've alway liked the clock as an easy way of communicating angles.

How does it work with the Brotherhood of the Blade, I understand how it works for strikes but what about thrusts?

Are there 12 angles for example with 3 or 4 specific (eg: 5 o'clock) being the thrusts? or would you say strike at 1 o'clock, now thrust at 1 o'clock...

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 10:01am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My teacher and Dan Inosanto have said this: its all just names, and they change over time, but they call it kali out of respect for what GM Largusa called the art he taught. I believe Sayoc kali, for example, was only referred to as Kali somewhat recently..
    ^THIS^

I call mine "kali" because that's what my Instructor(s) call it; if someone calls it escrima or arnis I don't worry or care because (a) I know exactly what they me and and (b) thats probably what their Instructor called it

I suspect - well scratch that I have an almost confirmed belief - that the JKD community was responsible the increase of the use of the term "kali"

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 10:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That, and Pekiti Tirsia's bullshit mythology.

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 10:35pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    That, and Pekiti Tirsia's bullshit mythology.
    I'd be intersted to hear some of the mythology. I've read about movements of constellations and what not that correspond to the motions of the art. Other FMAs I'm familiar with have a deal of mythology in their history which interests me.

On a side note, to my knowledge PTK, JKD, and the Sayocs and their offshoots are the only FMA that use the term kali (all of which have the common demonimator of Leo Gaje). Anyone know of any other systems that don't derive from these arts that use the term?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 6:45pm

Style: fma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    On a side note, to my knowledge PTK, JKD, and the Sayocs and their offshoots are the only FMA that use the term kali (all of which have the common demonimator of Leo Gaje). Anyone know of any other systems that don't derive from these arts that use the term?
    Villabrille/Largusa. Ilustrisimo at one point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 9:23am

Style: Bahad Zubu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ilustrisimo used the term "Kalis" which means sword or blade "Kalis Ilustrisimo" is sword of Ilustrisimo. Anyone using "Kali" now is doing so because Guro Dan made the term famous and it's good marketing. We spoke with Professor Felipe Jocano of the University of the Philippines who has done extensive research on the history of FMA in the region. Prof Jocano could not find any reference to Kali as a general term for blade or stick fighting. I think it was mentioned in an earlier post just how many islands, languages and tribes are in the PI, a common term for anything is hard to imagine. Heck, even today "Tagalog" is the national language but if you travel outside Manila it starts changing to other local dialects. In general population Arnis is a pretty widespread term (many petty cabs carry an "arnis" for protection), Escrima second Kali is only known by certain FMA groups. Check out our interview with Prof Jocano on iTunes or here: http://www.fmatalklive.com/2012/09/f...-fma-with.html for some good history and information on FMA and watch "The Bladed Hand" when it comes out on DVD.
    Last edited by 1evilgenius; 8/15/2013 9:27am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12